• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Paint color change

x-codegtcs

OK - I am a little skiddish to post this, but what are everyone's feelings about changing the color of GT/CS to not original color?

My situation - I have a J-code, motor and trans are not original and probably not numbers matching for the pair (I can't even find a VIN on the block). The original color is Diamond Blue - a big yuk in my list of colors. I was thinking of going with a darker blue like Britney or Acapulco instead and keep the interior the original two tone blue on blue interior.

I am concerned what this will do to the value and since we have a great group of knowledgable concours/high end restoration guys, I would love to hear your input.

I hope that I don't raise anyone's ire.

somethingspecial

I say DO WHAT EVER YOU WANT. You are not changing anything that could not be reversed. I have a '68 J code Coupe, Diamond Blue with blue interior. I am going to paint it Toyota Speedway Blue, but keep the interior. My C code GT/CS is Metallic Copper with Black interior. (Purchased it this way), was originally Lime Gold with Ivy Gold int. When I repaint it, I am going to stay with the Copper Hues. Just looks good and it is DIFFERENT. JMHO Concours is nice, but do what makes you happy.

Attachments

• GT CS party 07 047.jpg
    GT CS party 07 047.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

NosAvrenim

I say DO WHAT EVER YOU WANT. You are not changing anything that could not be reversed.

+1

Unless you are planning to go concours, pick a color you like. Paint (as compared to some things) is easy to change.

Some might say that it would have an impact on the overall value, but IMHO that value difference would be more than made up in the satisfaction you get when you see/drive it.

68 special

It's totally up to you. It's your car to do with as you see fit. If your worried about resale down the road, you can always redo it. I'm a firm believer in doing what you want regardless of what others think. Just look at mine, you don't see that color in the 1968 brochure. And part of my decision is also the fact that mine doesn't have the original 6 or rearend.

Cheers,
Bret

CougarCJ

Also guilty. Mine was originally meadowlark yeller :tongue:, I have since painted it acapulco blue.

The VIN stamps on a 302 engine, is on the flat part immediately behind the intake manifold. Might need to clean it, but it is easy to see with the air cleaner removed.
302blockvinstamp_zpsfdd619ec.jpg

This shows a 1968 VIN stamping from the Kansas City Plant (K). Shows top side of block edge against the edge where the transmission bell housing mounts. From the front of the car the VIN would be upside down.

Last edited:
OP
OP
X

x-codegtcs

So I think I found the place - does it mean anything if the vin is missing - like the employee was sick or ran to the bathroom? 8^P

CougarCJ

So I think I found the place - does it mean anything if the vin is missing - like the employee was sick or ran to the bathroom? 8^P

Here is VIN stamping from a 390 block. Stamp is located on the back of the block, on a raised flat area immediately below the driver side cylinder head.
390BlockVINstamp_zps05279fef.jpg

1968 San Jose Cougar number.

franklinair

1.) If no VIN on the block, its prior to the 1968 requirement.
2.) Color change: You can have a new door tag made by Kevin Marti reflecting the new color.

Neil

Ruppstang

I am just about the most concours correct guy you will meet. As most have said above it is your car make it what you want it will not greatly effect value. I would suggest staying with a 68 Ford color. I would not have the door data tag changed. That is one thing as a judge and a collector that I do not like. Represent the car as a Dimond Blue car that was changed to ____. That is honest and unless you are going to show as Concours it does not matter any way.
Have fun! Marty

CougarCJ

X2 - Don't install a bogus door tag. Too much explaining if you display the Marti Report with the car. It appears deceptive, when I see that at a car show.

OP
OP
X

x-codegtcs

1.) If no VIN on the block, its prior to the 1968 requirement.
2.) Color change: You can have a new door tag made by Kevin Marti reflecting the new color.

Neil

Neil - so it wasn't a long potty break after all - the block I was looking at was a 67. But I did find the codes on my X-code. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

I LOVE Presidential Blue - the color of my convertible. So sweet in the sun. If the interior was black , I would probably go Royal Maroon - my all time favorite ever since I saw Bob Teets Maroon HCS. But having a blue interior (and scrounging for a long time to find a real blue console to replace the long-since-gone console, I want to keep it blue.

OP
OP
X

x-codegtcs

I am just about the most concours correct guy you will meet. As most have said above it is your car make it what you want it will not greatly effect value. I would suggest staying with a 68 Ford color. I would not have the door data tag changed. That is one thing as a judge and a collector that I do not like. Represent the car as a Dimond Blue car that was changed to ____. That is honest and unless you are going to show as Concours it does not matter any way.
Have fun! Marty

Yeah, I would definitely stay with 68 (although a bit partial to 67 Silver Frost - Right GT/CSj4!!). Won't do the changed tag thing though...fun to think about, but you guys are right, too easy to be seen as trying to pull something.

franklinair

If you acquire a console, it can be dyed any color you want. NPD sells the correct colors for plastic & vinyl surfaces. The trick is proper preparation. I've done many using their products. The door tag change is a personal choice. I've never done it, but I have seen it done on other Mustangs.
The Presidential Blue is a GREAT color, and with the two tone blue interior it would be a knockout!

Neil

Midnight Special

OK - I am a little skiddish to post this, but what are everyone's feelings about changing the color of GT/CS to not original color?

...... I would love to hear your input.

I hope that I don't raise anyone's ire.

...What the hell difference does it make what any one else's "feelings" are? If you're having fun with it - they will have fun with you!

'Want proof? Here's my "off color" cars... We have "Hot Wheels Red", "Write Me Up Red" and the favored of all "cars & stripes", Black & Gold!

'Want more proof?? The second to last photo is Mr "just about the most concours correct guy you will meet" Marty after telling me to bring the black one to Reno this year! The last photo is the GT/CS Registrar himself, loading it onto HIS trailer to haul it home for me after HE told me to buy it!!

'Nuf said?? ;-)

P.S. I also agree....Don't change the door tag to match your new color.

Attachments

• DSC_0023.jpg
    DSC_0023.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 50
  • _DSC0518.jpg
    _DSC0518.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC_0036.jpg
    DSC_0036.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 50
  • _DSC0256.jpg
    _DSC0256.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IM000744_1.JPG
    IM000744_1.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 59
OP
OP
X

x-codegtcs

If you acquire a console, it can be dyed any color you want. NPD sells the correct colors for plastic & vinyl surfaces. The trick is proper preparation. I've done many using their products. The door tag change is a personal choice. I've never done it, but I have seen it done on other Mustangs.
The Presidential Blue is a GREAT color, and with the two tone blue interior it would be a knockout!

Neil

I have painted before - its about the only option many times. Arm rests are the tricky ones. I only paint the non-touchables so it doesn't wear or flake off. Maybe I am just not doing it right. It wouldn't be the first time :/