• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Pick this apart for me please...

Mosesatm

Looks like a nice car. I see only a few minor things.

Side stripes installed incorrectly, in that there is no front stripe and the fender stripe wraps around the wheel arch (easy fix)

Rocker moldings installed upside-down (easy fix)

The foglights look weird but I don't know why. Are they tilted up?

Black on the taillight doors. (easy fix)

GT rear valance with standard tips (easy fix)

Hood turn signals not wired (easy fix)

It'd be worth taking a good look at this car!

somethingspecial

We've seen this one before and picked it apart. For a car which has never seen any winters, and only had the paint redone it has the wrong rear reflectors in the Qtr. panels. The Rocker moldings are on upside down, and we won't mention the stripes being wrong. Over head console was not available with the standard interior, but to be fair, it could be a dealer added item. Hood wiring is gone, why? Those are just the obvious. I would inquire about the Qtr. Panels first, and see what kind of response you get from the seller. Looks to be a nice car. 8K tach as well with correct speedo. Other stuff could be corrected easy enough. This car was on the block about a year ago. Same pics. HMMMMMMMMMM. JMHO. Mike

OP
OP
D

DeadStang

We've seen this one before and picked it apart. This car was on the block about a year ago. Same pics. HMMMMMMMMMM. JMHO. Mike

I remember seeing it, just not the details. Seems like it ran thru twice, back to back, only getting up to around $18K and not meeting th reserve...? But I may be thinking of another car.

1968cal

Maybe it has had a rear clip replacment? The marti report does say it came with a console, but is that for the center or overhead. Steve.

John McGilvary

This is the same CS we talked about awhile back.
It's only a few miles from where I live, but I don't think the owner wants anyone to look at it.

I'll try again to check it out up close.

John

CALIF GIRL

It is missing thre hood "bumpers", and the drivers side hood and front fender do not line up very good. The fender bolts are body color.

CougarCJ

Pick the car apart or the eBay listing?

Low quality, dark pictures do not help this auction at all.

I can't see anything under the hood. Looks like the smog may be missing?
Lots of this cars value is potentially under the hood. Too many missing, period correct, 1968 390 S-code parts could add up to several thousand dollars.

rvrtrash

I remember that car. The guy posted it here also. If I remember, he said he had to sell it because he was going overseas.

Steve

6t8-390gt

It is a 390 4spd. car which is very desirable, however, I agree with CougarCJ. The air cleaner, heat riser and snorkel can be costly to replace. If the distributor is not original add $500-$1000 for just that part. Carb, smog, etc. Alot of the 390 parts are the same as Cobra Jets, they bring big bucks.

I also question the rear quarters. They were replaced because of crash damage or rust!!!

For that kind of money I would want to inspect it first.

Danny

OP
OP
D

DeadStang

Without giving it a real hard look, that is the first thing I noticed. It wreaks of a cheap quickie paint job. If this is the case, what other corners were cut.

Yes, this is one of my really major turn-offs when looking at a car. I can forgive a lot, but every time I open the hood, my eyes are always drawn to those fender bolts...

franklinair

It's a moot point now, since the car is no longer listed on E-bay, but my more serious concern focused on the rear quarters. The production date on the Marti report would indicate the later reflectors on the quarters. If my memory serves me correctly, replacement quarters are available in both configurations (early/late). Mike's thought of a VIN swap is possible and VERY scary. And possible. One way to check '67 versus '68 status is to look underneath at the torque boxes. '67 only has one. '68 has two, left & right. It was a handsome car, and with inspection & verification it's minor glitches could be corrected easily. My 2 cents worth.
Neil