• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Question on options. Cobra Kit?

68 GTCS

I have a chance to purchase a 67 coupe, the car has no rust but needs paint and very minor body work. But it has the following options.
Deluxe interior.
Upper and lower consoles.
Factory air.
Convenience Control panel on console.
Tilt away steering.
Vinal roof.
Blinker hood.
Luggage rack.
Power Steering.
Power brakes.
A code 289 4v 225 hp 2 nd owner states 60,000 orig. miles. Interior almost perfect, needs dash.
And cobra valve covers. This is what I am confused with. The valve covers do not look like the ones you can buy today. As I was looking in the Mustang Red Book it states that a Cobra Kit was available as a dealer install that would quote: improve performance from mild to wild. How rare is this car? I never heard of this before until I read this, now I'm thinking this might be kinda rare. Let me know what thoughts, or info you might have on this.

Thanks.
Kevin

Last edited:

CougarCJ

Sounds like a very nicely equipped coupe. All of the those factory options are worth plenty of dough.

Is the color green?

robert campbell

Kevin,
I have a really old Ford dealer catalog from the 60's. In it it contains the "mild to wild" quote. Ford offered a plethora of after market parts from cams, to intakes, to heads. Weber intakes, valve covers, scattershields and such. You could order parts directly from your Ford dealer and make your car from mild to wild!! These valve covers were more than likely from that line. The orginals had open letters for the "Cobra" "Power By Ford" words. Later cheaper ones (I have a set) have closed letters. Tony Branda and other suppliers offer the old open letter look again.

The one you looked at must be the real old ones. It would be very interesting to see a pic of them if you buy the car. That sounds like one loaded car. Low mileage and a time piece. I would find a way to get if if I was you. I have not heard of many cars from 67 that loaded!! Wow!! My 67 Fastback has the deluxe interior and both consoles. I love my GT/CS, but the 67 interior was the best in my opinion. Love the brushed aluminum.

Rob

OP
OP

68 GTCS

The original color is Candyapple Red with a black vinal top, the interior is Red.

And the Cobra valve covers have the open letters. I don't know if there are any internal modifications. It also has a chrome air cleaner cover.

Kevin

robert campbell

Kevin,
Wow!!! The most beatiful photograph of a Mustang interior I ever saw was a 67 "RED" Deluxe interior. It is featured in the "Mustang Does It" book. The sorta orginal book on the Mustang cars!!!

Wow!!!! Buy it!!! Or let me!!!

Rob

OP
OP

68 GTCS

I have never come across a more optioned car. Like I stated earlier, it does need a little body work and paint but NO RUST. He let it sit outside for about 2 years, so the dash needs to be replaced but other than that just some TLC. I drove it today and the steering is tight, and drives strait down the road, the carb needs a good cleaning, and the brakes need adjusting. There was a couple original manuals in the trunk for the tilt away steering etc. and it needs to air out.

Kevin

J_Speegle

Unless you have proof the car came this way its likely that the car was loaded up by a previous owner. Its some what common (for those who want to spend the dollars) for owner to load their car up with every option to make them stand out from all the other Mustangs.

The open letter valve covers and the chrome air cleaner lid (unless the car was ordered as a Sprint) could be the give away of this practice (valve covers phased out in spring of 66 and chrome lid was not offered over the counter or as part of an accessory from what I've seen)

OP
OP

68 GTCS

The lid says Sport Sprint. It was delivered to Arizona. This guy has no Love for mustangs, he purchased it for his Daughter, who drove it a couple times to school and decided she hated it. Thats why he got fustrated and let it sit outside. He has owned it since the 90's. He purchased it from one of his friend that picked it up from the original owner while truck driving cross country. So its doubtful that either one of them whould have modified it. It is my understanding that adding factory air, tilt wheel, convenience lights, power steering, and power brakes, would be quite a undertaking. Running the numbers shows it came with deluxe Red interior, and candyapple red exterior, 289 "A" code automatic. If I decide to purchase it, and find out later the Marti report shows that its not all original, would the car with these options still be worth 5,000. I need to decide by tomorrow.

Thanks for all your feedback.

Kevin

Mosesatm

Sounds like a bargain. For that price it shouldn't matter if the parts are original or were added later.

robert campbell

Kevin,
Price is a steal! I agree with you on the option add on. I have seen some cars with alot of option add ons, but you have some firm history. Valve covers and a chrome air cleaner were a popular dress up items and not in any way indicative that this car is an assembled car. My Ford catelog goes into the early 70's and all of these items were availble over the Ford counter. Not to mention swap meets over the years. Even if all the options are add ons, in this day and age if it is done professionally and tastefully it will detract little from its value. Certainly, a Shelby or GT/CS fake will not be as valuable, but a tastefully done clone these days, with modern power, suspension, and steering, commands large dollars.

5k is steal for this car!! I am very confident with your history and description that this is not an fake. The data plate does not list the options, but it is true in those key areas.

If you don't buy it tell me where it is. I will for that price!!

Rob

robert campbell

Kevin,
check this out. An add to buy the catalog A little fuzzy, but you get the idea.

Rob

Attachments

• ford muscle part add.jpg
    ford muscle part add.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP

68 GTCS

I called the Guy tonight and told him I will take it. I'm headed over to his house in the morning to scure the deal. I would love to post pictures of this car but I have (camera to computor) issues. They don't want to communicate, kinda like a bad relationship. But when I figure it out I will post some for you. I am going to purchase a Marti report just to see what options this car was ordered with. I will need to do some work on this car but am very excited about having a rust free, high optioned 67. Thanks again for all your help and Robert, If I let it go, you'll be the first to know.

Thanks,
Kevin