• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

questions on my newly purchased CS

mnut

Boy am I glad I found this great site.We just bought a 68 CS "J" code,highly optioned,from the original owner's nephew and I need some help.A bag full of repair receipts came with it dated back to 1969.Thank goodness it didn't get back to the East here til 3 years ago.Great underside.
Anyway,do I understand that the CS cars didn't come with sequential tail lights,just regular,3 blinking at one time together? Boy,if this is true,what a disappointment! I thought they were supposed to blink like the Cougar's from the gascap out to the quarter?.I'll accept what ever is correct,though.I can get "dynamite sticks" from Branda if needed to get 'em goin!
I also have some questions on how to get the tilt away column to work.It looks as if it were disengaged some time ago.All the correct parts are there and vacuum comes from the canister ok.I'd just like to know how the mechanics work under the dash.The tilt works fine for adjustament.The swing away is in question...thanks in advance for the help.BTW...I registered it tonight in the registry.This is gonna be fun!...and a Merry Christmas!

case12

Welcome to the site! Congratulations on your car.

Yes, the GT/CS did not have sequential lights. Many of us have converted, but there is a very easy way - use Mustang Projects LED sequential lights and they plug right into the light sockets, and a simple replacement of the blinker can with the Mustang Project module (about the size of a pack of gum - plugs right in).

Easy install, and completely reversable - no wires cut, no dynamite sticks, etc.

Casey

OP
OP
M

mnut

thanks for the info on the sequencer system

Thanks for the help but what Mustang shop sells these sequencers and the cost,please? Is it a Scott Drake item?So these are easier to use than the dynamite sticks?Just some simple wiring change without cutting any metal?

Mustanglvr

Welcome Mnut! Glad to have you here! Congratulations on your purchase. Please post pics and a Marti report. Merry Christmas!!!!

69convert

look up mustang project on the web . it will have the prices. They are sometimes a little slow to answer.
No cutting. It took about 1/2 hour. Finding the flasher relay was the hardest part. I would suggest you ask for a faster blinking rate than the standard if you order from mustang project (most of the mustang vendors carry these lights, probably from mustang project). The blink rate is way to slow. An additional benefit is the LED's are much, much brighter!!!

rvrtrash

First, welcome to the site. As for your tilt problem, I don't have one on my car but I can try to give you some ideas. There should be a solenoid on your steering column that releases the column. With the engine running, make sure you have vacumn there. Next, with the key on and the door open, make sure you have power to the solenoid. If there isn't any, check the fuse and then both door jamb switches. Apparently, both door jamb switches have to be working. The one for your dome light also activates a relay and the second one activates the column solenoid. If you have power to the relay and nothing to the solenoid, you have a bad relay. If you have power and vac. to the solenoid but it doesn't work, you have a bad solenoid. If you check this stuff and still can't get it to work, get back to me with your findings and we'll try to track it down further.

Steve

hotrodgrany

case12 said:
Here is the link for Mustang Projects with direct link to the California Special. Price is $199. Definitely worth it to me. Simple plug and play. Casey

http://www.mustangproject.com/Catal...category=68642387-6653-4218-935e-89619ca5f35a
I have been considering on putting these on both my 04 Gt and new 07 GT/CS. we had these on our 69 Couger as well as those popular roll up front lights, remember. Just the seqential tail light, not the front roll up lights on the Stangs.

OP
OP
M

mnut

Original inspection and chalk marks on the body

Thanks for the nice welcome to the site. I knew right away that this site would be loaded with info.Nice people here! Now I'd like to offer some help, if I may, to those of you who may have some questions on inspection marks inside the engine compartment, and chalk marks,paint marks, that the inspectors use. I was lucky enough to have bought this CS that has never been taken apart and has never been repainted. I have a stamped name of "Jackson" in two places on the fender lip that looks like it was made from a rubber stamp shop. Then I have some other numbered marks, chalk marks, and probably some more inspection marks I haven't even found yet. If anyone would need to know the specific locations for restoring their car or just general information, please e-mail me as I would like to offer some assistance to this site. I'm brand new to this CS stuff so this is real learning fun to me.
I was assisting in a Ford bodyshop from 1969-1971 at nights after high school and never came across a 68 CS so this makes it even more fun to me.We were putting lower quarter patches on 1965 Mustangs only 4-5 years old at that time that had gotten eaten up by the large amount of road salt we use in Ohio.We called them "RUST-ANGS".Even with that...I was hooked!
The CS is most interesting.I can see how the members here have taken a serious approach to the resto of these unique cars.I already take a distaste to those outsiders who say the CS is just a coupe and not collectable,nor worth more than an upscale coupe! Anyway,to those reading this,may you and your family have a Merry Christmas and hopes for a happy, healthy,productive New Year!
Bob in Ohio

Redwingrobb

Hey Bob, run us through the options your car has, mileage, condition, how you ran across it....Robb

Perkchiro

Would adding these cause a reduction in points by judges at car shows, or would it be a non-issue since it isn't apparent until you click the turn signal? Anyone had any experience in this area?

J_Speegle

mnut said:
... I have a stamped name of "Jackson" in two places on the fender lip that looks like it was made from a rubber stamp shop. ..... If anyone would need to know the specific locations for restoring their car or just general information, please e-mail me as I would like to offer some assistance to this site. .....

The last name style of inspection stamp (except for one inspector) was started during 68 production intermixed with the earlier style of identifying them by their number.

I'll email you as I have a large collection of this sort of detail but people are always looking to support what is found with the same or similar marks from the same type of car. Thanks for offering.

As you go through the car keep an eye out for the rotation number. You can find it everywhere ;)

6t8-390gt

Welcome to the site. I hope you find it as helpful as I have. Good Luck with the car and let us know as much about it as you can. We're curious folks around here!

I found a JACKSON on a CS I documented a few years ago, and would be interested in what your car has regarding marks and stamps.

Danny

J_Speegle

Why we're discussing Jackson (one of many paint inspectors at San Jose during 68-69) here is a picture of from one of the days when he was workign on the line, rather than the area where they painted the parts off the car

8R91J522047cowlJACKSON.jpg

Careful anyone attempting to make a stamp of this - the stamp uses at least two different fonts from what it available today ;)

LUVMYCS

J_Speegle said:
Why we're discussing Jackson (one of many paint inspectors at San Jose during 68-69) here is a picture of from one of the days when he was workign on the line, rather than the area where they painted the parts off the car

8R91J522047cowlJACKSON.jpg

Careful anyone attempting to make a stamp of this - the stamp uses at least two different fonts from what it available today ;)

Would this (stamp) be something that is needed when going concours? Or is it something that someone might use to try to authenticate as a GT/CS?

68 GTCS

Tilt-Away steering

I also have this tilt-away steering on my CS, I am not sure how they work yet but I have noticed that I cannot reset the steering wheel sometimes when the door is open. When I close the door, then the wheel will lock into place. Also will this option show up on a Marti report? I have several options that didn't show up on the report. Tilt-away steering, in dash tach, clock, upper console, and dual exhaust with split tips. These may have been added.
Thanks,
Kevin

OP
OP
M

mnut

Here's all my stamps and marks and info on my car

Hey Robb.Here's the scoop on my CS I just bought then I'll go into the marks 'n stamps.
I found the CS on an obscure site with newspaper ads on it.I still can't recall which site and can't get back to locate it.The nephew of the original owner had it listed as a 1968 mustang 2 door sedan.It was just one of those "things".I clicked on it not thinking much of it, and there was the rest of the ad saying "GT/CS".I probably would have passed up the ad but something made me stop there.Just dumb luck.It was 300 miles from me.I called right away and talked to the nephew.He sent me pictures the next day and we cut a deal.His uncle and he had service records back to 1969 which he gave to me.It needs bodywork and repainted but is solid and has 99% original options and all correct CS equipment.Even has original paint.That's why I can help someone if they need inspection mark names or rotation # locations.They are all present.I was thinking of masking them all off to save them when it comes time for the paint job? What does anyone think of that idea,good or not so good?
It is wimbledon white with red comfortweave int,not deluxe though.My Marti report says only 82 CS cars had this trim and paint combo.I sure do like it! It's a "J" code but not a true GT.It has factory A/C,power steering and pwr disc brakes,tilt-away steering(that is a first for me to have), lower console,deluxe seat belts and dlx wheel covers,tinted glass,remote left mirror.Presently 136,000.The original owner used it as an everyday driver in southern CA so the miles aren't low.It came from Theodore robins Inc. in Costa Mesa CA.April 4th build date.I did register the car on this site and with Paul to get into the next book.
I have a 1971 Mustang CONVERTIBLE project car to now sell to get the funds to restore the CS.It has only 51K miles and is heavily optioned.Even has the original window sticker.It's solid,but still needs finished.
As far as inspection marks and crayon marks and rotation marks go...here's what I have...on the pass side underside of the hood near the hood pin ia a crayon "69" and it again appears behind the license plate.The name "jackson" in a stamp like the rubber ones,appears only once on the cowl on the pass side as in the pic before my post here.Strangely another stamped name "ambris" appears on the pass fender lip,on both headlight buckets right at the top,easy to see on its inside,and "ambris" again appears on the underside of the hood on the driver side.Right where the main hose from the windshield squiter joins the junction block to left and right hoses,appears "26N" in a pencil mark,right on the cowl below the hose junction. I still don't know what may come up? I don't know if any of this info would help anyone,you all seem so knowledgeable on this site,and I DO mean that as a compliment,but I took pix of the marks if anyone needs them for a resto.Thanks for all the help of those who I've contacted.I've never had the chance to find one of these CS cars before so I'm learning mostly through this site.I'm sitting on a bunch of 65-66 Mustang parts I trade and sell,some NOS,but have now realized that most won't help me on this 68,which I don't have many parts for,so this was a real hoot to find an original car that came with everything is was supposed to.
This is just a great site for us car nutz!
Have a great New Year...CYA!
Bob in Ohio

rvrtrash

68 GTCS said:
I also have this tilt-away steering on my CS, I am not sure how they work yet but I have noticed that I cannot reset the steering wheel sometimes when the door is open. When I close the door, then the wheel will lock into place. Also will this option show up on a Marti report? I have several options that didn't show up on the report. Tilt-away steering, in dash tach, clock, upper console, and dual exhaust with split tips. These may have been added.
Thanks,
Kevin

According to my wiring diag.'s, there are two door switches that release the column when the door opens, so it would make sense that it wouldn't lock until the door closes.

Steve

J_Speegle

LUVMYCS said:
Would this (stamp) be something that is needed when going concours?

MCA does not require paint and inspector marks but will deduct for incorrect ones. Often there is allot of pressure to add as many as possible or what you see in magazines or at shows. When this is done owners have no way to tell if the make they see came from that car and often do not consider the time period the car was built, the plant it was assemblied at or all the other factors that play into these things.

LUVMYCS said:
Or is it something that someone might use to try to authenticate as a GT/CS?

No because thousands of other San Jose cars received the same. This inspector work at the San Jose plant, sometimes on the line and other times in another part of the plant during 68 and part of 69. The picture I posted was not from a Cal Special