• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Rarest CS Specific Part?

miller511

Hi All,

With the recent thread about the reproduction grille on E-Bay. It got me to thinking, what would be the most difficult (original) CS specific part to find/replace? Here's my ranking-

1. Grille

2. Side Scoops

3. Trunk Lid

4. Marchal Fog Lights

5. Hood

What do you think?

-Jeff

Mustanglvr

Don`t forget the rear taillight wiring harness. This and the grill were the only parts exclusive to the California Special. The side scoops, trunk lid and fog lights also came on the 68 Shelby. I believe the foglights also were on early Ferrari`s? Correct me if I`m wrong guys. The hood came as an option in 67 and 68 for all mustangs, except for the hood locks which can be installed, I believe.

Last edited:

Perkchiro

Jeff, an original grille would be quite rare, that's why most restorers reproduce them with "blank" 67 grilles.

I would think that original fiberglass parts would be near impossible to find, but these are being produced as repos and available from most Mustang suppliers.

P

PNewitt

The rarest part on a GT/CS is the rubber grommet for the (T-Bird) taillight pigtail hole, placed in the larger of the three stamped metal "plates" in the trunk.

In all my searches, I cannot find the part, or what other Ford it would fit.

Paul N.

OP
OP
miller511

miller511

Paul,

That's odd that it's not listed on any detail drawings.

I wonder if the tail light pigtail grommet was included in something like the Marchal light kit...half-kidding here, but who knows?

-Jeff

PFSlim

A few that come to mind during my rebuild would be:

1. Rear original taillight panel
2. Original side scoop
3. Marchal fog lights
4. Tail light harness
5. Metal plates for rear tail lights

Paul

rvrtrash

A few that come to mind during my rebuild would be:

1. Rear original taillight panel
2. Original side scoop
3. Marchal fog lights
4. Tail light harness
5. Metal plates for rear tail lights

Paul

So it would be a good thing that I have a spare tail light panel hanging in my shop? :grin:

Steve

P

PNewitt

Paul,

That's odd that it's not listed on any detail drawings.

I wonder if the tail light pigtail grommet was included in something like the Marchal light kit...half-kidding here, but who knows?

-Jeff

I dug out my master parts list, dated 12-11-67 for the "California Mustang, Model 65", and it gives the Shelby part# "S8ZS-14616-B" for that grommet.

There are many parts on your GT/CS with Shelby-designated part numbers, such as the stripes, hood pins, and even the trunk lid springs.

Also note, that the flasher had an upgrade from "C5AB-13350-D" (Std. '68 Mustang) to a heavy-duty "C7AB-13350-A" unit for the CS. This was to handle the extra load of four more 1157 bulbs.

There is also a clip "fog light wiring to grille", numbered 379061-A. I think that's the plastic one that attaches to the screw at the back of the grille "sill", on each side.

Note-- "Mylar tape", rear brake air scoop low gloss black #FE148. Pt. no. S8ZS-2B358-9-A. This went under the side scoop grille.

Interesting stuff..

Paul N.

OP
OP
miller511

miller511

Paul,

Is the trunk spring stronger or lighter? It just occurred to me that there must be a weight difference to the CS trunk lid vs stock. Is the fiberglass trunk heavier or lighter than the stock steel one? I'm guessing it's heavier because of the duck tail?

-Jeff

P

PNewitt

I think that the CS trunklid is heavier, but another owner here weighed both, and claimed that the metal one was heavier. I picked an OEM CS/Shelby trunklid, and it weighs a ton!

So....one more thing to look for authenticity, is how the trunklid rises after one turns the trunk lock key. If it has a hard time rising, it might be a fake.

(I can't believe I just said that). LOL!

PN

Mosesatm

The issue may not be weight but it may be moment arm, or weight distribution. Most of the weight on a GT/CS is at the spoiler and that creates the need for a stronger spring.

OP
OP
miller511

miller511

Very funny Paul!!!

Arlie,

I think you're right. Since a good part of the weight is out at the furthest point from the hinge, it would require a stronger spring.

Anyone know if the spoiler is filled? Or hollow? (may be a silly quesion since I've not ever looked real close at it).

-Jeff

Mustanger

The scoop screens are CS specific parts, and not on Shelbys.

Scott
Scott,

I know that generally the Shelbys had functional scoops, but I thought I read somewhere that one version of the '68 Shelby also had non-functional side scoops similar to the GT/CS. Can you confirm this?

speedy02

Well some Shelby's have functional and some do not but the only thing that makes them different is the air duct that connects to the scoop. Some have air duct's others have what they call Non-function "No Air duct" scoops.

68gt390

Very funny Paul!!!

Anyone know if the spoiler is filled? Or hollow? (may be a silly quesion since I've not ever looked real close at it).

-Jeff

The rear spoiler is hollow. When ever I open my trunk lid I can hear my old barrell nuts rolling around inside from where I replaced the old ones with new ones along with new "mustang" script.

Don

GTCSMustang

1968 Shelbys have non-functional lower side scoops. They are cut out in the front (unlike the GT/CS) and blacked out inside, but are non-functional. Shelbys also had a bead of clear calk around the side scoops, but GT/CSs do not.

Scott