• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Refinish or replace hood locks

dalorzo_f

The ones on the car may not be OEM, but are faded in the flats due to wear.

A new repro set is less than $100, not sure how sucessful one can be in getting the proper satin type finish, not sure if they are chrome or some other anodized coating.... costs here are high for chrome, assuming similar for other finishes.

The repros look pretty good in pics, and indicate OEM molds. Anyone used 'em and compared side by side to originals?

???

somethingspecial

I have used the Scott Drake Hood locks and they are a great replacement. As far as your finish on your OEM parts, Electroless Nickel finish would be your best finish. Check at some of your plating shops and see what it would cost. It is hard, dull, and as close as you could get IMHO. Mike

rvrtrash

Mine looked worn when I restored the car, so in ignorance, I had them chromed. I really wish I hadn't done it, so I think the electroless nickel finish Mike suggested would be better. You can always check a companies return policy and order the repops to see what you think as well.

Steve

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

By the time I order, buy and ship to Oz its generally not worth shipping things back... thanks for the tips, will talk to my "advice" resto shop on someone locally who may be able to do the nickel finish noted...