• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Replace radio and speaker, with air conditioning

murf104

Going to have my (non working) AM radio converted to AM/FM/Bluetooth this winter and add a dual voice coil speaker in the dash, replacing the original Ford speaker. Any tips on replacing the speaker? Does the dash pad have to come back out or with the radio and glove box removed will there be room to remove the old speaker and add the new? The car does have a console and factory AC, automatic transmission. Thanks for any experience you may share to make this as painless as possible.

68sunlitgold

You should be able to get to the speaker with the radio bezel removed, however, if you have A/C you will have to go under the dash since the center vent (along with the blower) will be in the way.

Doug

dalorzo_f

Dash pad does not need to come out, but the AC "Y" duct does need to come out. At least I found no way to get the speaker in or out with the duct in place in my '68 coupe...

Glove box is optional but does give some extra access.

66hcs-conv

Going to have my (non working) AM radio converted to AM/FM/Bluetooth this winter and add a dual voice coil speaker in the dash, replacing the original Ford speaker. Any tips on replacing the speaker? Does the dash pad have to come back out or with the radio and glove box removed will there be room to remove the old speaker and add the new? The car does have a console and factory AC, automatic transmission. Thanks for any experience you may share to make this as painless as possible.

I have a dual coil speaker that came out of our '66, that you can have - if you pay the shipping. BUT - I don't know if it is the correct size for a '68.

It is a good speaker, nothing wrong with it. I went back to the standard AM radio, with a Redirad unit, so I don't need the dual coil speaker anymore.

Dave