• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Schwinn Bicycle Memories

case12

Wow! Bannana seat, sissy bar, chopper forks (I used to make these myself by hack sawing forks off old bikes and sliding them onto the ends of mine). I used to have the tall sissy bar on my Schwinn (Stingray). I eventually added a tiny tire on the front and some ram horn handle bars. And yes, I used to clothes clip baseball cards (even the 3-D kind) into the spokes to make that cool sound. Casey

Mustanglvr

I had many banana seat bikes and I still have the ten speed Schwinn I got for my 11th birthday. It is all original yet, just needs new tires. It still has the original tape on the handle bars, paint and the original tires. I wonder if they`ll ever be worth anything?

BroadwayBlue

Wow!
I got a gold Schwinn when I was 5 years old with training wheels.
Converted it over the years with a banana seat, handlebars, speedometer and turn signals on the back ... mmmmm ... modded out my bike ... so that's where this all started huh? :grin:

luisa2552

My brother had one of these! I had the 'Liitle Chic' girls version. I remember he had a real bad wipe out once where he almost lost his manhood on the shifter!!

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

That just made all the guys on this side wince with empathy!!!

390cs68rcode

I used to be as passinate about bikes when I was a kid as I am about cars today. Used to race BMX bikes when I was young and mountain bikes in my 20's. Buddy of mine had one of those but without the chopper forks. If I remember correctly it had the squared off slick rear tire. Ahhhhh, the good old days.

Diesel Donna

I wiped out on my brother's Stingray bike in 1968 when I got into a high speed wobble while going down a steep street. Broke my jaw and got scraped up and stitches everywhere.....but I got to ride in a cool ambulance!! :grin:

~~~~Donna

390cs68rcode

Diesel Donna said:
I wiped out on my brother's Stingray bike in 1968 when I got into a high speed wobble while going down a steep street. Broke my jaw and got scraped up and stitches everywhere.....but I got to ride in a cool ambulance!! :grin:

~~~~Donna

and then later in life you bought THAT ambulance. :wink:

Diesel Donna

390cs68rcode said:
and then later in life you bought THAT ambulance. :wink:

Wouldn't that be a hoot if it was?! Mine did come from a fire department in New Jersey and my Dad was a fireman in New York.....

But my car is a 70.

still looking for one

I started out with a black and white 1959 Schwinn Speedster, it was parked at the college when it got hit and run - totaled.

I took it across the golden Gate Bridge in about 1960, where the cops got me at the SF side and sent me back across!!! A devil may care time for me.
The seat broke on it 1/2 way across the bridge, so I was iron-butt going home!! Then it started to rain! Stopped by Highway patrol above Sausalito, and ordered off the highway - just before the long steep grade.

Jim B

Diesel Donna

j21moss said:
anybody remember the Western Auto Stingray Bike with the steering wheel and red sidewall tires???

Yes! Jeeez I almost forgot about that one. I still have the registration form I filled out for my red Western Flyer when I was about 8.