• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

The Great Aemoo28 GT/CS Adventure!!

BroadwayBlue

http://californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6662

Hey Amy....even this thread's number is...666 (2).

Uh Oh.

Hi Amy,

Can't say I didn't warn you! :wink:
As many have stated in this thread, you just never really know what's lurking under the hood or out of sight. I personally wouldn't and have not driven a new "old" car a long distance until I had a chance to give it a good going over. It's good to make sure it's safe and sound. It's worth the extra money for shipping and peace of mind.

I had my car for months before I realized the upper control arm had come apart and was lodged in the wheel well - never saw it until I pulled the wheel to check the brakes. That could have been a disaster if driven even a short distance.

Things happen with cars you think are not going to give you problems too.
We got my CS ready for a 4 hours drive to Carlisle and the morning I went to leave, a power steering hose blew a mile from my house. So you never know.

Most of all glad you and Jen are safe and finally made it home. It will be a story to tell of acquiring this classic piece of Mustang history.

Enjoy it and make the most of every drive in it!

Wonder how you'll decide which one to choose each day.

Last edited:

PFSlim

I am just catching up with this story today. Guess I have been out of the loop. Thought I would add my two cents.

In my opinion, it is very difficult for me to believe that these old cars are capable of making big long cross country trips like that. I know Arlie just drove his a great distance and I am amazed. I love driving mine short distances around KC but even in the shape that it is in, even as much as we have it on the lift looking and fixing things, I would be affraid to take her out on such a long trip.

My hat is off to you Amy and I hope the story concludes with a great ending. I know you have wanted this car very badly. We are all pulling for you to get her home and enjoy it.

Hoping for the best results.

Paul

aemoo28

I was assured by the person who sold me this car (I asked 3 times) that this car was road ready for the 1200 mile trip and that it needed nothing to prepare it for the trip.

I would not have attempted this crusade if I didn't have trust in the seller, who has a good reputation on this site.

DeadStang

I am just catching up with this story today. Guess I have been out of the loop. Thought I would add my two cents.

In my opinion, it is very difficult for me to believe that these old cars are capable of making big long cross country trips like that. I know Arlie just drove his a great distance and I am amazed. I love driving mine short distances around KC but even in the shape that it is in, even as much as we have it on the lift looking and fixing things, I would be affraid to take her out on such a long trip.

My hat is off to you Amy and I hope the story concludes with a great ending. I know you have wanted this car very badly. We are all pulling for you to get her home and enjoy it.

Hoping for the best results.

Paul

I take a couple of my vintage Mustangs on long-distance trips all the time. The only difference is, I "know" the cars and either do the maintenance myself, or take them to a mechanic if something is beyond my capabilities. If you "know" the Mustang, I don't think it's any more danger to take it on a long distance trip than a newer model car. My '06 Magnum croaked and had to be towed to the dealer once already (20K miles on it!), and my husband's newer truck stranded us 4 hours from home and had to be abandoned for a week at the dealer for repairs (we actually had to an old Mustang to pick it up after it was finished!).

I think the problem here was that the person who sold Amy the car wasn't an "end owner," but someone who buys and sells cars? Correct me if I'm wrong. It probably seemed OK on a local road test to the seller, but w/o spending a fair amount of time in the CS on a daily/weekly basis, who knows? Further, things can crop up on cars that just sit for long periods...thermostats stick, wheel cylinders leak, floats stick in carburetors, etc.

The lesson here for any buyer, I believe, is to have a car shipped, period--it's WELL worth the $$$ spent--if it's not local. Once this CS has been gone thru and the mechanicals are checked out and repaired, Amy, as long as you keep good towing and rental car insurance on it (and keep your cell phone charged!), don't be afraid to take it for long road trips! Life is too short and tow trucks too plentiful not to drive your car and to have fun!

Midnight Special

I was assured by the person who sold me this car (I asked 3 times) that this car was road ready for the 1200 mile trip and that it needed nothing to prepare it for the trip.

I would not have attempted this crusade if I didn't have trust in the seller, who has a good reputation on this site.

Yes, and I admit I was one of those who recommended this seller based on my experience with him (and the car) which culminated in an excellent transaction and flawless 475-mile 1- day drive.

In "Divine Order" ways Amy, I believe your experience was far better! You have also received an education well worth the extra $$ this trip cost you!

Consider the time spent with two of your favorite instructors (Paul & Ron); The gained wisdom of knowing what engine behavior will eventually lead to what results; Gained knowledge of the parts to check, replace and (how) to maintain and cure the problems.

For the future... knowing the importance of planning for un-forseen emergencies; carrying needed tools and manual, plus extra ATF, oil, water, hoses, belts, fuses, etc... and finally (motivated by knowing what it's like to be stuck); an exit plan with a list of contacts along the way so as not to rely on luck.

I can see you taking future long trips in your '68 with extreme confidence and real sense of adventure (as "Deadstang" ((no pun)) has stated while enjoying it in ways you'll never get in a new car! You'll see...

My son just signed up for six months of auto shop. He will not likely get the hands-on, fear laden, full circle, results oriented education You received in just one weekend ;-)

Think about it. By the time your car arrives in Seattle - you will be as "old hand" as ...as.... Rich, Joe, Arlie, Donna ....but probably not quite as Neil ;-)

Diesel Donna

I drive my Mustang anywhere I want to, and I've had her over 34 years. I have always carried extra "stuff" with me, sometimes it's the right stuff and sometimes not! Like...sometimes it catches fire and sometimes not! Hahahaa!
I'm never afraid to drive it anywhere at all but like Deadstang said, I "know" my Mustang.
I know how Amy felt, so freakin' excited to get her car that she couldn't stand it!
When I bought my ambulance in western New York, I put it in storage the day I bought it, and I left that day to drive home to California. A YEAR later I flew there to drive it cross country. I had it in the shop for three weeks prior and wasted all that money because the guy probably never worked on a car that was over ten years old. Anyhow, I drove her to NYC area and then down to Virginia Beach, then to California. The first problem I encountered was in VB and it was minor...a little brake issue but it's only an 8,000 pound car, lol. Fixed that in my brothers driveway. It ran right until mid Missouri when I had a problem with the differential/rear end. I made it to my sister's place near Joplin, jacked it up in her driveway, had it repaired, drove to a car show she entered me in, took first place and took off a couple days later. After I got to California I found a rear axle ( I call it a donor organ) from a hearse, drove over 200 miles to get it, dropped it in the pickup and brought it home. I figure I was actually lucky for a trip like that! The car was advertised as "Ready to drive cross country" I told the guy...you don't know what you just said to me because.....
People ask me why I didn't have it shipped and I tell them that wouldn't have been any fun at all! I'd do it again! But then I love adventure!
Sometimes I wish I had grandchildren who could shake their head about crazy grandma. But then I have plenty of friends who already think I'm nuts.

PFSlim

Amy

I like the way that Tim looks at it. It was an experience that will last a lifetime. Be sure to know that I am not second guessing your decision about the long drive, only stating that I am too chicken to do it!!

Paul

Stacey Enderle

Your CS needs alots of TLC

I don't know exactly where to start, but I have *must see* photos.

http://aemoo30.spaces.live.com/photos/

"My CS adventure"

I must say that even with these complications, this has been the greatest adventure of my life. I would do it again. To experience the kindness of (not anymore) strangers from my CS family after the wild ride we've had during the last 2 days, I would do it again. The trust and kindness I've received has been overwhelming.

This story may come in pieces. I must say I'm eternally gratefull for Paul (my hero), Ron and his wife (such great hospitality), and the humor that we found because we had to. And to Jenn, my best friend since we were 6 yrs old, who doesn't even like Mustangs, who offered to come with me and drive my car home from California. You see, we chose this adventure for my 35th birthday/I passed the nursing boards/got my RN job.

I have a lot to say, but it will come in pieces, as I'm still overwhelmed by the generosity and kindness of my CS family.

I bought this car sight unseen because I was told it was in good enough condition for the trip to Seattle from El Segundo. It is fully optioned with AC and power brakes/steering. The AC had to be disabled due to a heater leak issue, so we rode with the windows open, fans were inoperable.

This car did NOT and would NOT leave California. One issue after another. It only started after 3 attempts. I was afraid to stop the car except for gas, so we took turns at the rest stop for fear of being stuck there. Drive thru Starbucks only. The power steering only worked when it wanted to work, sometimes off and on during a turn.

The first night I prayed we'd reach Paul, who found us a place to stay. We intended to get to Redding, after 6 hours, the car was thinking of ways to stay. Just tried to get the car to Paul, who was waiting with bags full of car parts and magic tricks. I was reversing into the hotel parking lot at 10pm when the dash lights went out and the car came to a stop. Paul worked miracles and got it going again after it bit him. Paul's blood has marked the engine. What he didn't realize is that he'd adopted me and my car on that first day, and that we'd never be able to leave Paul. See the pictures.

The next morning we thought we'd won the battle and were on our way to Eugene to stop for the night. Oh no, not happening- because this car had other plans only 20 minutes into day 2 (my bday). The smoke started, the noise started, and it DIED on my way over to the side of I-5 somewhere by Yolo (by Arbuckle) right after the (closed) rest stop. Braking at 55 mph without power brakes!! Trying not to go into the ditch. Worried the car was on fire due to all the smoke- all the sudden the gages showed no oil pressure, and the temp went to high.

We exited the car, grabbed the fire extinguisher, got Paul on the line. Opened the hood and smoke poured out. Did I mention there was a dead something alongside the road? Great place to die, next to that smell, in 90+ sun.

Check this out: We're on the side of I-5. I'm standing there with my phone in my ear, the extinguisher in my hand, the hood up, smoke/steam everywhere. This man pulls over to the side in front of us, walks over to us...

... and asks us if we are close to some town because he's lost.

Um, no, we are from SEATTLE and our car visually is SMOKING. So he gets back onto the road without comment on our situation.

Bottom line: Paul to the rescue AGAIN. AAA towed us to Ron in Sacramento. See the photos. Priceless. Ron will drive this car (are you sure, Ron?) up to Seattle, where he was planning to be next weekend for another reason. They put Jenn and I onto the plane, and "Satan" is staying in Sacramento for now, surely plotting against the next adventure with Ron trying to drive it out of California.

Sounds to me that poor thing's been neglected all those years. So you're going to have to nurse it back to health! Good Luck!

Stacey

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Be sure to know that I am not second guessing your decision about the long drive, only stating that I am too chicken to do it!!
Paul

I once took my CS, on the return trip from a Las Vegas Mustang show up 395 on the back side of the Sierras...with 360,000 miles on the clock. A water pump, hoses and belt, with tools in the trunk. We would be the only car on the road for hours...

Then we came into Tonopah....at 8PM at night...the speed limit went from 65 to 25 in ten feet...with a cop tucked back in an alley. The same alley next to KOWL radio station in "Vanishing Point". At 25mph, I nodded to the cop as I went by.

No California revenue that night for Tonopah.

Paul N.

aemoo28

I really really really want to fly down and try it again.

Shipping was not an option since the #1 reason I bought the car so far away was so I could take it on a long drive up 101, which I DID. It wasn't until we hit I-5 that the car pooped out.

You know how I feel. I CAN'T WAIT to get it home!

Thank you for the words of encouragement. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I WANT TO do it again, but I'll just sit here quietly and patiently until Hero Ron arrives. My '08 CS is absolutely no comparison, and not as fun to drive as the '68. Someone asked me how I'd decide which one to drive each day. Well, here's your answer: the '08 is tucked away on the far side of the garage, under the eaves.

clubpro

So here's the status so far;

Radiator was shot and the repair shop stated that it would cost as much to repair as it would to buy a new radiator. Since it wasn't an original Ford radiator I purchased a new one. While taking out the radiator I noticed that the bottom hose had been wrapped with tape which leads me to believe that somebody knew that the hose was bad. A new hose kit doesn't cost that much.

I checked all of the spark plugs and they looked new, but the wires were shot. One wire even was worn down to its core which explains the miss that we were hearing.

The next job is the carb rebuild because Amy mentioned that the gas mileage was really bad. Paul had fixed the leak from the fuel line to the carb, but you can see where the carb is leaking from its dry gaskets.

Once everything up top is good as new I will start inspecting the bottom of the car. I know that it is leaking either motor oil or transmission fluid I just haven't had a chance to figure out which.

My real job has not allowed me to spend as much time with Amy's baby as I have wanted to, but next week will allow alot more time to work on it.

Stay tuned for more!

Cheers,

Ron

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Ron--

Thanks for the amazing work you're doing there. I really appreciate it. I didn't know about the carb gaskets, nor the lower hose or the plug wire... More "goofs" that undermined the assurances that the car would make it the Seattle.

I'll try to keep Amy's anxiousness under wraps....She almost got it there--and I am amazed and thankful that she made it up to almost Sacto from L.A. with all these problems.

As I've read here, this is a good lesson for everyone that these cars need attention now that they're up there in age and miles.

Hang in there, Amy, your baby will be getting there ASAP.

My Thanks again to Ron.

Paul.

franklinair

I was dumbfounded when learning of the existing maladies on Amy's C/S.The seller/caretaker of that car should be tarred & feathered for letting those very obvious problems go unrepaired, passing them on to an unsuspecting buyer. Inexcusable. If he has any conscience at all, he should be hanging his head in shame.

Neil

aemoo28

Found it right here on this forum

I was dumbfounded when learning of the existing maladies on Amy's C/S.The seller/caretaker of that car should be tarred & feathered for letting those very obvious problems go unrepaired, passing them on to an unsuspecting buyer. Inexcusable. If he has any conscience at all, he should be hanging his head in shame.

Neil

http://www.californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6499

I found my now-famous car here on this very site, here is the thread.

I don't think the seller knew all of these problems, otherwise he wouldn't have told me the car was in great shape and could handle the drive home 1200 miles, needing no repairs and ready to go.

And Paul was just waiting for this adventure to include in his book, and Ron was just itching to do some work on a running CS...

:tongue:

franklinair

OK, I read the thread where you found the Black Beauty (her new name). The seller sounded like a savvy enough guy to know something about Mustangs. Shameful & inexcusable.

Neil