• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

The Great Aemoo28 GT/CS Adventure!!

HappyHour

So whats the possible recourse? I think at the least Amy with the help of the Forum should put a formal complaint to the seller so that he understands that this type of "coverup"....."misrepresenting"....."non disclosure" is something we will not tolerate and take note of on listing his future sales. Im not saying he should make reparations but at least give him the opportunity to make good as a reseller of Cal Specials? Buyer beware....unless the Forum has your back.

I bought a shiny 67 convertible 3 speed (red on red) from San Diego couple years back from dealer hwo dealt with specialty cars. Paid with cashier check and drove it around that night to a friends. Next day put it on a lift and discovered sealant on the floorplans. After the shock wore off I was torn with what to do.

I took it back.....dropped it off with the keys. He argued that it was a done deal....sold as is....blah blah....but refunded my money when he realized it was the path of least resistance. Maybe there can be a negotiated settlement that will help cover some of the repairs?

Thoughts?

clubpro

I am hoping that Amy can work out some sort of refund with Martin. Having been around these cars now for 15 years and knowing what they are selling for my first impression was that it was a $12,000 car at best. Now that I know what has and hasn't been done to the car I would put the value at less than $10,000 which is $8,000 less than what Amy paid for it.

I don't know what the law states about buying a used car and then finding all of these issues after taking possession, but I have to believe that Amy should have some recourse. I'm hoping that she has an email or something from Martin that has him stating that the car was in great condition.

With the bad radiator, leaking fuel line, leaking power steering line, rust issues in the frame rails, badly installed floor pan and everything else that is needed I would think that she has a good case.

Cheers,

Ron

Mustanglvr

If the receipt says "sold as is" then I think she has no recourse. I guess it depends from state to state, but there are`nt many rights for people when buying anything that is considered "used".
I sincerely hope it all works out for you Amy.

Doug

Amy - we all share your pain. I would also assume that many of us have bought a "used" item and then learned that it wasn't what it was presented. I guess that’s where the slogan "buyer beware" comes from. As I see it all you can hope for is the seller sees this site and does the honorable thing - offer some assistance to fix repairs or take the car back. My guess is that nothing will happen – but one can hope. Just out of curiosity did you sign a “no warranty” or as is form; if not maybe small claims court would be possible. I am not a lawyer so I don’t know. I do think that the courts would be on your side. Good Luck

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

I think that the exchange rate between California and Washington dollars makes the real value about $10,000.

So, you did OK.

Right Amy?

:p

J.Bart

Amy,
have you contacted an attorney in ca? some states have lemon laws. there should be some recourse if the seller misrepresented the car. i am sorry to hear about your new cs, getting my first brand new car damaged by some unattentive, irresponsable, mmmm, biting tongue!! person that shouldn't be driving a car!!. is a torturous nightmare i guess i need to learn from your missfortune and not take a chance where i park my gt/cs.

clubpro

So here is the lastest update on Amy's car;

New radiator and hoses - Old radiator leaked like a sieve and lower hose was leaking.

New power steering control valve and hoses - Old control valve was bad and one of the hoses was leaking.

New brake master cylinder - Old master cylinder was bad and the fluid looked like muddy water.

New front brake pads - Old pads were down to almost metal on metal. Rotors were in good shape.

Rear brakes are in good shape and the wheel cylinders are dry with no leaking.

New plug wires along with cap and rotor - Old wires were in very bad shape and one wire was worn down to the core.

Tires were rotated and it was noticed that the fronts were wearing badly on the inside so next to do item is to have the front end aligned. (Saturday)

It would have been a miracle if the car had made it all of the way to Seattle.

Cheers,

Ron

case12

Amy.....I am so sorry to hear about all the things "wrong" with this one. I have done the rusted rails and torque box thing on one of mine too, so I know how it feels. I have replaced many of the items Ron mentions too. It's part of having an older car. But, I am sorry to hear it may have been misrepresented - hopefully unintentionally.

What has amazed me is how this family (Ron, Paul, others to come) has banded together to help one of their own. You know your real friends and family are the ones that stick around when times are tough. Ron, you are to be praised for taking care of one of the family.

It is really neat to watch this story unfold, and see the family come together from way over here in Chicago. I know I have also had some experience with help from our family on different issues from all across the country.

Amy, keep the faith. You are living an experience, that though painful some days, is priceless in the people that you are getting to interact with. That is what makes these cars so unique.......not just the cars, but the people (our family) that own them. I am proud to be one of the family, and to also now have Amy as part of the family.

Casey:thumb:

BroadwayBlue

You never know what can happen with these cars.

I drove up to the Adirondack Nationals last week (amazing show - more on that on another thread in a few days) - drove my car the 3 hours or so with no problem. Then when I got there, driving around town, it stalled. I didn't think much of it.

Then it happened again later in the day but we were able to restart it.

Thursday night cruised the local streets with all the other cars no problem.

Then Friday night it died twice right in the middle of the cruise where they shut down the streets. Luckily some guys pushed me off the road to a parking lot and after it sat for about an hour started right up again.

Couldn't figure out what it was. Then it died again on the way back to the place we were staying. But now the battery was dead - it wouldn't turn over. Had to jump it twice to get it home.

Started going through what it could be - why wasn't the battery holding a charge? - battery, alternator, etc ...
Went to Walmart at midnight to see if they had a battery since the charge was low (luckily my brother-in-law had a meter with him) - they had the battery. But we decided to wait until the morning and check it with the car started. It was too late to make noise that night.

The next morning we cranked it and it looked like the alternator. So we headed to the auto part store to find an alternator. On the way out the door with the alternator in hand, my brother-in-law thought ... "hey, maybe it's the regulator". So we bought that too. Got back to the car and sure enough it was the regulator. Popped in a new $15 regulator, returned the alternator and still made the car show that day. Car was fine the rest of the weekend and the trip home.

So no matter what you know of the condition of a car ... there's always something that could go wrong. Again Amy hopefully this all turns out to be one of many stories you can tell as part of your CS (old and new) ownership.

Doug

So no matter what you know of the condition of a car ... there's always something that could go wrong. Again Amy hopefully this all turns out to be one of many stories you can tell as part of your CS (old and new) ownership.[/QUOTE]

I like to add - I can't tell you how many times I've bought "new" parts thinking that I would have no problem - only to find out that the "new" part was defective. The joys of owning old cars.

aemoo28

Oh my forum friends, you are truly the best!

The only thing I can say regarding the purchase of this vehicle is that I purchased a "well optioned car" in "great condition" and able to make the drive "without problems" to Seattle. I inquired 3 times if the car needed anything done mechanically to ensure its safe journey up 101 and home. I trusted in a reputation and believed in the goodness of people in general. Buyer beware I now know well. I was being such a girl to trust in this way, and should have had an army of educated people on hand to put the car up and look underneath at the Mickey Mouse cover ups. As stated by Ron, the many things wrong with the mechanical integrity of this car wouldn't have allowed it to make it to Seattle. It only made it to Sacramento, FFS.

Thank you to everyone for his/her stories of motivation and encouragement. It's a tough but FUN road and great experience.

And Ron, how in the world do I thank you?

I've been going over, in great detail, all the manuals franklinair has sent me to prepare for the next journey. I'm determined to learn about the engine components (what's an alternator?) and everything else so when the car gets here, I'll know (sort of) what's going on.

EKG school on Wednesdays, Calspecial ed on Mon and Tues. ACLS (Trauma nurse 101) on Thursdays. Fridays- get ready for parades and shows. Sounds like a good life. Poor '08 is already being ignored... poor thing in the garage, waiting for its twin to arrive.

My MustangsNorthwest group here in Seattle is waiting and I have a whole crew volunteering time and knowledge for such things as those rusty spots (the whole front end) and the (I think they're called) rails.

I've thought about (gasp! "No" say the late model owners!)
selling the '08 CS to fund the concourse re-birth of this 1 of 3 existing Pebble Beige Specials. But it's nice having 2 black Specials, and this 40th anniv edition is my reliable car.

BTW did anyone see the GT/CS Roush on ebay? The selling point is that it's built from a CS and "Roushed" to death. As if I needed ANY more comparison to a Roush- it's a constant at my house. They removed the stripe and attached the fin spoiler. I kinda like it.

aemoo28

Did I mention our first show will be at Bickford in Snohomish on Sunday Sept 21st? This will be our first trust building mission together. Yes, we'll go as part of a MNW caravan to ensure we get to the show.

Hopefully she'll be here on Saturday, Sept 20th!!!!

Thanks Ron!!!!

johnsgottwo

A great story to tell

Hey - your story is great, but more importantly you have an actual "legendary car experience" in your life. I've heard these kinds of stories from friends and thought "what an experience - now that's what being a car person is all about". I hope all goes well with your revitalizing of your GT/CS. I've got mine about 90% finished and it's almost anti-climactic to be this close. At the end of the day, the magic lies in the journey, not the destination. You and your GT/CS have already had a great journey. I hope you have many more that are a bit less stressful.​

aemoo28

She's home!

Had to flat bed her the last 6 miles home, but she's here. She's dead, but she's home.

Blew a head gasket along the way.

Made it to the Saturday burger show at Kidd Valley but alas, she was done and just quit. White steam, dry radiator (again), whirring noise and clanking. Poured 4 more gallons of H2O in the (new) radiator, to no avail. My great Mustang crew jumped to our rescue, to no avail. It was a wonderful team effort. Thank you to my Kidd Valley Crew. Pictures coming soon.

Called AAA for the last 6 miles home. Her name is and will always be SATAN.

Thank you Ron!!

rvrtrash

Called AAA for the last 6 miles home. Her name is and will always be SATAN.

I know how you feel Amy, and feel for you. I had a TR6 one time (my third Triumph and second TR6) that I called "The Car from Hell". In the course of about 2 years, it suffered 5 transmission rebuilds, 1 engine rebuild, 1 vandelism, 1 theft, 1 hit and run, and several rear end U-Joint replacements, not to mention the expected electrical problems (Lucas-Prince of Darkness. His refrigerators are why the English drink warm beer). Someday you'll be able to sit down with other car people and laugh about these stories over a cold one.

Steve

aemoo28

She's sitting in my garage, full of herself. Let her pout for a while, and get used to her new home. I believe in tough love, and she will SHINE again.

Mustangs NW member Mike volunteered to come over and do the head gasket thing. He made me write a list of things to purchase (all the gaskets), and he'll be over soon. We WILL be in the Redmond High Homecoming Parade next month.

I bought the car from a member of this site. Hopefully he is aware of this entire fiasco and learning experience. I know he didn't sell me this car knowing it was in such bad mechanical condition. NO one with a conscience would do this knowingly to anyone. I have learned the 'buyer beware' lesson.

Ya'll will laugh at this- I never learn my lesson the 1st time. I went to start her to move her into the garage this morning. Flatbed couldn't get thru the alley late last night. Well, she started right up, and I got amnesia along with the Special Vibe and took 'er around the block.

You know where this is going...

She was running so nicely. I put 5 gallons of H20 into the radiator and she purred. I decided to show her to my folks who live 20 city blocks away.

She suddenly halted at the stop sign. AAA to the rescue again with the flat bed. That's what a dummy gets on a rainy Sunday morning.

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

AAA = "Automobile Ambulance for AMY"

Paul (can still see the scar on my hand) N.

:p

sema88

Stop!!!

Amy,
Don't drive the car until you get everything fix. You could do serious and/or permanent damage that would cost thousands to fix. Second 347 is a bad motor choice. Look at this decoder page. http://www.vintage-mustang.com/topics/decode/decode.html See what you car should have. If it an A code it should be a 289. It would be better to go with a built 289 than a 347 stroker motor. I bet that the high end $35,000+ c/s cars don't have 347's in them. According to the decoder the engines that were available are the 289, 302, 390, 427 and the 428. These motors would show more respect to the car's heritage.

P.s. This is Dennis from Kidd Valley

Last edited:

franklinair

I think Dennis is on the beam. DO NOT run the engine until it is diagnosed & fixed. Don't know the details of the engine in Amy's car (C code?/J code?, original? mileage?). If it's original, matching #, then I would see about fixing it. If it has high miles on it, then I would do an O/H. As far as overhauling or replacing it (if necessary), personally, I would opt for a stock O/H'd 289 or 302 with a 4V carb & electronic ignition. This configuration is quite adequate for normal driving, with no headaches down the road.

Neil