• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Trunk leveling

Boss302

any secrets to making the trunk line up with the extensions? I tried lowering the latch mechanism in the trunk, and it marginally improved it but it made the trunk too difficult to open and was afraid of bending the key, so I put it back. If I push down on the trunk when latched it is possible to level it, but it doesnt stay obviously. Almost like the trunk seal is way too thick.

Did I just answer my own question? :tongue:

dalorzo_f

The upper rear edge of the trunk? AFAIK (and on pretty much every Shelby/GTCS I've seen) they never lined up, trunk always sticks up a bit higher than the end caps. About 1/4" or so.

And the trunk lid also usually has a slight curve to it that makes aligning the two sides to the fenders impossible too...

S

slimt

I think you have to wait 40 years for the rubber to flatten out... :)

Ruppstang

First the right soft seal is a must. When the car is in primer we glue on a trunk seal and test fit. As all ready said most deck lids are high so material is added to the caps to level it. It worth ruining a seal to get a good fit.

Attachments

• Photo Jun 26, 11 00 21 AM.jpg
    Photo Jun 26, 11 00 21 AM.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Photo Jun 26, 11 00 10 AM.jpg
    Photo Jun 26, 11 00 10 AM.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 31

somethingspecial

Many of the decklids also had a warp to them, making one side stick up higher. One side would line up, but the other side was 1/4 inch higher.

I had a strange thing happen to me, When I built my car, the right side of the deck lid was higher, as it has always been. I installed the new stripes and lined them up. Some time later I was at a show and noticed the entire deck lid lined up with the extentions perfectly and so did the stripes. Can anyone tell me how that happened?

Ruppstang

Many of the decklids also had a warp to them, making one side stick up higher. One side would line up, but the other side was 1/4 inch higher.

I had a strange thing happen to me, When I built my car, the right side of the deck lid was higher, as it has always been. I installed the new stripes and lined them up. Some time later I was at a show and noticed the entire deck lid lined up with the extentions perfectly and so did the stripes. Can anyone tell me how that happened?

It was GTCS magic. Rob calls it beer!

68 special

Too much sun Mike, bring it to Washington, maybe our rain will put it back in place if your not happy with it, LOL...

Bret