• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

. wives tales or not?

J.Bart

so i have heard different solutions when it comes to keeping mice out of cars when putting them in storage. truth or fiction, and what other ideas are out there

peppermint oil on cotton balls inside the car: the odor is supposed to keep the mice from staying in your car.
parking your car on bleach soaked boards: the mice supposably won't traverse the boards, they don't like that smell.

davidathans

the cat might claw up my vinyl top...

i had to remove a rat from under the hood of a porsche cayenne turbo. Sucked it up using a 20 Gallon 6.5HP shop vac

taking a chance that a cat might or might not scratch up your mustang might be worth it to avoid that smell

p u

gazrox

My wife puts those anti-static Bounce thingies for the dryer in our camper for the winter - not sure if it works but we have never had a mouse in there. She also spreads cayenne pepper in the garden to stop the cats crappin' in there - probably won't work for mice and you'll be sneezing every time you hit the air conditioner! LOL

Mustanglvr

Cats will scratch the car if left alone with it. A completely declawed cat won`t be able catch mice. I do hope if anyone does get a cat to guard their car from rodents that the cat will be provided daily with supplemental food, fresh water,decent shelter and most importantly, love.

somethingspecial

I have seen many storage units use electric pulse devices that plug in. I have also known people who have them in their storage rooms at home and have never had mice problems. I think you can get them at most hardware stores and they just plug into a wall recepticle. Decon works, just don't put it down where cats and small pets can get to it. Then of course, there is the all time tried and true mouse trap and cheese, or Snickers bar. Don't put those in the car as it will only draw them to it. LOL Mike

OP
OP
J

J.Bart

i have an over abundance of cats in my neighborhood, i live trap all i can get and let the pound sort it out, and i still have mice everywhere. i have used Hawk rodent killer in the pasture and sheds, it works really well. i live trapped 10 to 12 cats one fall and still had cats running around. now the pound wants people to make an appointment so they can charge you for taking them in. they just mutiply and go wild, i won't be taking any in, if i'm going to get charged for someone else's cats.
the situation is, the car is in a storage unit without power and not at my place.
i guess i could live trap the cats and dump them off at the storage unit?????
but i still would like to hear if any of the methods i am using, peppermint and bleach are a proven solution?

robert campbell

This is interesting. The only way into a “properly adjusted and closed” 1967/68 Mustang Coupe or Fastback is through the cowl drain openings at the far side of cowl area, up and under the back of the front fenders. If the trunk lid is tight and the doors are tight this is really the only way in. I know mice will surprise you on how small a gap they can get through, but I doubt they can squeeze between the cowl “grill” openings at the base of the wind shield. GT/CS trunks are fun to seal sometimes.

So with that, if the driver air vent is shut and in good condition, my thought is the mouse cannot enter and chew the plastic grill bottom of the vent to enter the interior.

That leaves the cold air entry to the heater assembly. On a non-air conditioning car, you can open your vent door by the right kick panel and actually reach up into the cowl area. This is the only route for “Mickey” to find his way in. If push up all your heater controls to the off position you will see a door close to the heater core. If fully closed, Mickey cannot enter the core and come out the center heat vent into the car. So always store your car with the heater controls in the close position with the driver air vent closed and the heater off.

You can actually put a small mouse trap or decon inside the passenger vent door and then close it. Check it every so often. If you are restoring your car, and the front fenders are off, you can weld a screen with say ¼ mesh over the cowl drain holes. These openings are the cause of many a Mustang to rot and let mice in.

A word of caution is if you put screens on them, they will be easier to plug with “stuff” coming in the cowl grills. Then water stands and you rot away. A quick way to check them is to have the car on the level and pour a large glass of water carefully on one side of the cowl grill. You will be standing right behind the front tire to do this. If your feet are slightly under the car, have a pair of open toed sandals on. You should be treated to wet toes as the water drains on your foot. If nothing comes out, you better clean those drains immediately so you can freeze your toes!! Or it went straight into the interior.

I do this on all Ford unibody cars I look at for people or myself. Have someone look in the interior on the front floor as you pour. If water comes in the interior you got some cowl problems and more than likely floor pan rot!!

Rob

nfrntau

My wife puts those anti-static Bounce thingies for the dryer in our camper for the winter - not sure if it works but we have never had a mouse in there. She also spreads cayenne pepper in the garden to stop the cats crappin' in there - probably won't work for mice and you'll be sneezing every time you hit the air conditioner! LOL
Does Cayenne in the garden really work? If so how much does she use?
My neighbors cats think my wifes garden is thier cat box.
As for the mice a snake will work pretty good but then you have snake smell. lol

case12

Mouse "snap traps" with peanut butter on them. I have caught 5 mice this fall and winter so far. They love peanut butter. Casey

robert campbell

Casey is right on!!! They LOVE peanut butter!!! I left my window open and one of my wonderful cats took one in.

One snap trap on the passenger floor. peanut butter.. problem solved!

Rob

Mustanglvr

No killing please, live traps for mice too.
I take in many cats and do everything I can to make them healthy and then I advertise them in our local paper for giveaway. Many animals, cats, dogs, bunnies, etc. have found loving homes through me and not some cold, dank place where they are eventually euthanized. I feel it`s the least I can do for our little friends that have no voice of their own. I just feel we all as humans can do just a little more to end the suffering. Ok people, you can go ahead and attack me for being an animal advocate.

JBart it`s great that you take them to the shelter where they have at least some chance of finding a home.

I hear that moth balls and dryer sheets work best to repel mice.

hcsstang

My wife likes to feed the birds sunflower seeds. She stored the seeds in an extra garbage car with the lid on. Boy that was a mistake. It took me two years before I got the oder out of my convertible. No more bird seeds from now on.

Midnight Special

No killing please, live traps for mice too.
I take in many cats and do everything I can to make them healthy and then I advertise them in our local paper for giveaway. Many animals, cats, dogs, bunnies, etc. have found loving homes through me and not some cold, dank place where they are eventually euthanized. I feel it`s the least I can do for our little friends that have no voice of their own. I just feel we all as humans can do just a little more to end the suffering. Ok people, you can go ahead and attack me for being an animal advocate.

...So Rhonda, what do you suggest I do with these guys?

Attachments

• IM001716.JPG
    IM001716.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC_1019.jpg
    DSC_1019.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC_0297.jpg
    DSC_0297.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 28
  • -1.jpg
    -1.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 44
OP
OP
J

J.Bart

run! your surrounded and out numbered!!!!
we'll send reinforcements

Mustanglvr

...So Rhonda, what do you suggest I do with these guys?

They are sooo cute!!! They look very friendly. Have you been feeding them? That`s not the best thing to do with wild animals.
Live trap them and transport them somewhere else where they will find water, food and shelter. I`ve done that with oppossums and coons many times. :smile:

Midnight Special

They are sooo cute!!! They look very friendly. Have you been feeding them? That`s not the best thing to do with wild animals.
Live trap them and transport them somewhere else where they will find water, food and shelter. I`ve done that with oppossums and coons many times. :smile:

...You don't understand! This is the "Raccoon Mafia - the most powerful of the five families operating in all of Alta Sierra! Feeding them assures protection of not only cars, cat dishes, trash cans and home in general, but also to help ward off the other sindicates headed by likes of: Freido Fox, Soloxxo Skunk, Petie Possum and Don "Bucky" Deer'Leone' !! Only recently were they able to drive off the most feared of all - Porquipine Poke'italia!!
...I still get "quills" when I think of THAT one!

So I did as you said. I quit feeding them for a couple of nites... You should have heard the carnage outside around 3 AM!!

Traps you say? Oh, that would just make them more mad! Believe me Rhonda - it's far more peaceful to drive to Target (for a bag of dog food) than to become a target...

"Oh, I don't know what to do Godmother, I don't know what to do......"

;-)

P.S. I don't seem to have a mice problem, however!

Last edited:

hotrodgrany

Believe me I know how well she loves all animals. My husband puts out poison for mice and rats insde our garages, but in the winter time he feeds a few local cats and that works the best. Poisen just doesn't seem to get eaten. We love to see the litte creatures during the winter months, We feed the birds and squirrls and rabbits and whatever roams the night here. take a look ..
We have an over abundance of Blue Jays that love to eat the food that is left for the squirrels and you can just see the squirrel on the tree above the feeder (of which is filled with corn, bird seed,which they love, and peanuts), but that is because he heard me open the back door.

Attachments

• 100_0136.JPG
    100_0136.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 100_0155.jpg
    100_0155.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 29

Mustanglvr

...You don't understand! This is the "Raccoon Mafia - the most powerful of the five families operating in all of Alta Sierra! Feeding them assures protection of not only cars, cat dishes, trash cans and home in general, but also to help ward off the other sindicates headed by likes of: Freido Fox, Soloxxo Skunk, Petie Possum and Don "Bucky" Deer'Leone' !! Only recently were they able to drive off the most feared of all - Porquipine Poke'italia!!
...I still get "quills" when I think of THAT one!

So I did as you said. I quit feeding them for a couple of nites... You should have heard the carnage outside around 3 AM!!

Traps you say? Oh, that would just make them more mad! Believe me Rhonda - it's far more peaceful to drive to Target (for a bag of dog food) than to become a target...

"Oh, I don't know what to do Godmother, I don't know what to do......"

;-)

P.S. I don't seem to have a mice problem, however!

:icon_bore:rofl::rofl::rollout::rollout: :icon_lol: :wink:

Diesel Donna

Moth balls work. I found that the electronic devices didn't work for me at my vacation place for rats and mice, and they stole the Decon out from under the fridge and stacked it neatly in a pile under my pillow.

~~~~Donna