CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Go Back   CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > Classified Ads

Old 10/17/2022, 03:35 PM   #1
cmacias24

Send a message via MSN to cmacias24
My Garage
Project: Presidential Blue C-code $15,900, Los Angeles area

Saw this on Craigslist in case someone is interested.

ďA Factory 1968 California Special 289CI Automatic. Original From Los Angeles & owner drove it over to Arizona in 1975. Now is back in L.A. Off The Road since 1987 but the engine does crank over.

Factory Presidential Blue w/ Black Interior. Factory Lucas Lights still in place. Solid original body- ready to restore. Bring a trailer

Clear AZ title ď

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lg...546695355.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cmacias24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/17/2022, 07:21 PM   #2
CaliStang68

Stanger 4 Life

eBay: Cele38

Send a message via MSN to CaliStang68
It doesn't seem bad for the price. Seen way worse at this price.
CaliStang68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/18/2022, 07:42 AM   #3
Ricky Knapik

My Garage
Looks like very good bones. Wish there were some underbody pics!

A stampede is louder than a heartbeat!
Ricky Knapik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/18/2022, 09:31 AM   #4
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
Wrong hood, strange radiator & brackets. I see $12K minimum in paint/body, plus another $12K in parts.

Neil
franklinair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/25/2022, 08:48 PM   #5
1wrenchguy

Extent of rust repair

Hello GT/CS family. Finally able to reply and post after many attempts.

I went to see this vehicle as it was local. There is some rust in the inner/outer rear wheelhouse and rear fenders on both sides. What would something like this cost in hours/labor?

I've taken some pics on my google link https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jix...ew?usp=sharing

Not the original radiator, neutral safety switch in engine compartment, overall shadetree mechanic mickey mouse repairs.

What do you guys think?
1wrenchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/25/2022, 11:29 PM   #6
Mosesatm

Only one photo shows up when I click on the link.

This getting older ain't for cowards. - John Mellencamp
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/26/2022, 11:13 AM   #7
1wrenchguy

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...DS?usp=sharing
Old 10/26/2022, 11:17 AM   #8
1wrenchguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosesatm View Post
Only one photo shows up when I click on the link.
My mistake. Here it is, what do you think? The more I think about it (neutral safety switch dangling in the engine bay, poor bondo job (Driver side scoop that fell off) screw holes to pull hood dent. I'm thinking it has had many years of incorrectly done repairs.

It's been a while since I've been around early mustangs. Just would like to know what I'm getting into at that price.. Looking to join the GT/CS club and getting back behind a mustang.
Old 10/26/2022, 11:31 AM   #9
Mosesatm

That needs a total rebuild. I think itís a $12K car.

Old 10/26/2022, 11:44 AM   #10
1wrenchguy

Quote:
That needs a total rebuild. I think itís a $12K car.
Same thoughts. Thanks for your assessment. The wheelhouse on both sides along with both fenders need attention. Would your R&R the whole inner/outer wheel housing and fender section or patch?
Old 10/26/2022, 02:54 PM   #11
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
If I were 10 years younger, I'd be hard-pressed to buy this CS for more than $5K. It needs EVERYTHING.
To bring it up to an acceptable level (my standards, not concourse) I would estimate $30K cost in parts with me doing most of the work (I only have paint/bodywork and upholstery farmed out): sheet metal, rust repair/treatment, engine, electrical, transmission, suspension, interior, paint, and on & on & on.

Neil
franklinair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/26/2022, 06:53 PM   #12
Mosesatm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1wrenchguy View Post
Same thoughts. Thanks for your assessment. The wheelhouse on both sides along with both fenders need attention. Would your R&R the whole inner/outer wheel housing and fender section or patch?
I wouldnít buy the car, but if thatís not an option it depends on how correctly you want it fixed. I drive my cars so unfortunately Iím good with the minimum repairs to make the car sound and dependable (Marty probably just spat coffee all over his monitor).
If you can do your own work go for making it 100% correct, but if youíre hiring a shop youíll be upside down in a hurry.

Old 10/26/2022, 09:53 PM   #13
1wrenchguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinair View Post
If I were 10 years younger, I'd be hard-pressed to buy this CS for more than $5K. It needs EVERYTHING.
To bring it up to an acceptable level (my standards, not concourse) I would estimate $30K cost in parts with me doing most of the work (I only have paint/bodywork and upholstery farmed out): sheet metal, rust repair/treatment, engine, electrical, transmission, suspension, interior, paint, and on & on & on.

Neil
Thanks Neil, I agree. Funny how things change, 10yrs maybe even 15, I had the drive to work on things. Perhaps if I just retired already. The fact is I work so much that I'd have to farm it out, the majority of it. I'm ok with that but yes even 12K is a hard pill to swallow.
Old 10/26/2022, 09:57 PM   #14
1wrenchguy

Quote:
I wouldnít buy the car, but if thatís not an option it depends on how correctly you want it fixed. I drive my cars so unfortunately Iím good with the minimum repairs to make the car sound and dependable (Marty probably just spat coffee all over his monitor).
If you can do your own work go for making it 100% correct, but if youíre hiring a shop youíll be upside down in a hurry.
I hear you loud and clear. I also am a believer in driving my cars. I already know I'll be upside down in a hurry as I might/will get flamed on here from what I would change. I know it's sacrilege to purists as to modding the vehicle away from factory.

First musts are the suspension and brakes. Can't continue to enjoy it if can't turn or stop.
Old 10/26/2022, 11:29 PM   #15
CougarCJ
My Car Details

Spaceman Spiff

My Garage
That is a later model 302 engine, not the original 289.

I agree with Neil with the cost to make this one into a Neil built (non-concours) GT/CS.

Neil style, restored GT/CS's, are the preferred alternative to concours. Just me speaking, no flaming. I like his tasteful upgrades that allow the car to be daily driven and shown. Reliability with day two modifications.

Scott Behncke
1968 GT/CS 302-4V Honors flysis incone beezis onchest nobis inob keesis
West Coast Classic Cougar A good source for Mustang mechanical parts too.
CougarCJ is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > Classified Ads