• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 68 HCS out of hiding

Guyman

Man, been awhile since I had my 68 Tahoe Turquoise HCS out...yes, the only one I know of that color....Been in hibernation past few years.
This all happened kinda suddenly...last night, I took out my 46 ford super deluxe coupe for a night out on the town with my wife...getting off the highway after a night of frolicking downtown Sacramento...I heard a loud bang like a gunshot...then another....so thought I better pull over and check it out....sure enough my engine was on fire....so what did I do????...open the hood, looked in there and started blowing on the fire to get it out....hahaha...funny., but it actually went out...blame it on a full moon or whatever, but that same day, I sold a 71 Plymouth sport fury on ebay for $5500 that I picked up for $500 the day before. So weirdness was in the air. My distributor wires musta grounded out or melded on the exhaust manifold...got hot, then ignited the wire insulation..., fusing a couple wires together...so the firing order got all messed up...hince the loud bangs from backfiring.
Ok back to the story...so my 46 ford was on fire...and now with the fire out, I called my hagerty plus insurance to pick the car up and take it to my house....I made the mistake of telling them my engine was on fire, so unless I call the fire dept. and the police dept. to "verify" to fire it out, they won't call a tow truck......"really?" I said, and hung up.
Then I got a ride home, where my HCS has been residing on my car trailer...so I put a battery in, and she fired right up..."ol reliable that one"...so now I got my HCS back out of hiding, washed her today and ready to enjoy driving in the California sun once again.
Funny how things happen....call it a full moon or fate,...but that's my story and I am sticking to it.
Keep on Mustanging., Guyman

clubpro

Guyman,

It's great to know that there is another 68 HCS in the Sacramento area. We need to get ours together sometime. You should bring it to the weekly Wednesday car show at Skipolini's in Folsom and we can park next to each other. I am usually the only 68 Mustang that shows up so it would be cool to have two of the rarest 68's made show up.

Cheers,

Ron

OP
OP
G

Guyman

Two HCS in sac

Hey ron, sounds like a plan...my HCS was restored loooongggggg ago back in the early eighties.....then sat in a collection for the next twenty years, probably outside in the hot SoCal sun, cause it is sun baked and weathered. It had four flats, didn't run and looked like death warmed over when I got it...now it is running but it doesn't look that nice....I have left it in it's weathered state..driving and enjoying it before I do a restore on it.
Would love to hook up some time...I live at watt and. 50, so not far away.
Call me next show and I will see if I can make it up there., Guy
916-410-9558
Cheers

Sarge

Hey Ron, and Sam,
If you guys are gonna be at Skips on Wednesday night, I should swing by. My car is getting work done, so won't have it there, but that's ok. See ya Wednesday.
Robert

OP
OP
G

Guyman

Hey

I won't make it this week or the next few. I have three weeks left in my dart league...and it's on Wednesday nights....so will have to wait. Or hit another show on Friday night somewhere else...there are shows all over. Lmk.

Thanks, guy

OP
OP
G

Guyman

Pictures

Here are a few pictures of the tired girl!...she needs some love....patiently awaiting her turn!, but she's in good company!

Attachments

• hcs1.jpg
    hcs1.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 31
  • hcs2.jpg
    hcs2.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 32
  • hcs3.jpg
    hcs3.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 32

Ruppstang

As I remember you bought your car from Curtis. We all most bought it because we really liked the color but in the end went with the red because it was much better equipped.
All of those cars were fried. Is this your car? Our went from this to this.
Marty

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 2012 Fall Mustang Pictures 006_crop.jpg
    2012 Fall Mustang Pictures 006_crop.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
G

Guyman

Yep

hey Marty, yep..was a Curtis purchase...this was the only one HCS he had left and what caught my attention first of all was the color.....I had had a lot of candy apple red 68 mustangs including two GT/CS cars, so wanted a change up...she doesn't have very many options but that's ok with me...will add the power steering and power brakes etc on the restore...for now, will just enjoy it all old and crusty...actually the car runs great..just needs cosmetics now., but will do it all when time allows.

Your HCS looks great by the way...nice restoration. I think I have a little more work to do on this one then the one you bought...some small rust on front of both rear wheel openings...easy fix though.

Ruppstang

Your HCS looks great by the way...nice restoration. I think I have a little more work to do on this one then the one you bought...some small rust on front of both rear wheel openings...easy fix though.[/QUOTE]

Looks can be deceiving it fooled me, the cowl leaked trapping water inside, even the edges of the roof had rust inside. It took 10K of sheet metal repairs. So much for buying a rust free California -Colorado car.
I can not wait to see your car with fresh paint. It will be stunning.
Marty

OP
OP
G

Guyman

Rust

You are right about the rust....hard to tell what you have until you get into it. I know this one has been restored once already long ago...so I am sure there will be body work to be taken out and redone, hopefully the rust is localized to what I can see already...but with a Mustang., you never know....the HCS will be on a waiting list...I have a couple others I have to finish first...so will be in this state for at least a few years.