• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 8R01C156235 dying in a field

franklinair

Its not too far from me. Too bad I can't do the heavy metalwork/frame work any longer. It would be quite a re-creation.

Neil

ForrestM

I've been in the market for a rolling shell. I contacted the seller about purchasing this one. Will see what happens.

68sunlitgold

With the condition it is in, you are basically buying a VIN #. I ordered a Marti on it but will not get it until Monday, I will post it on here as soon as I get it.

Doug

ForrestM

With the condition it is in, you are basically buying a VIN #. I ordered a Marti on it but will not get it until Monday, I will post it on here as soon as I get it.

Doug

I understand. Thanks for ordering the Marti.

I heard back from the seller. Their response was of very little help to the questions I asked. I simply got "I can help load the car for shipping company," even though I asked about payment, frame condition, time frame for moving it, and some other things. I figured someone trying to sell a car would be better about answering questions in order to actually sell a car...

68sunlitgold

Sorry for the delay but here is the Marti report....It is a real CS:

Serial Number 8R01C156235
Built at San Jose
Mustang Hardtop
289-2V Engine

DOOR DATA PLATE INFORMATION
56235th Ford vehicle scheduled for production at San Jose

65A Mustang Hardtop
T Candyapple Red Paint, Ford #2008-A
2D Red Standard Bucket Seats
05D Scheduled For Build: April 5, 1968
75 Phoenix Ordering District
2 2.79 Conventional Rear Axle
1 Three-Speed Manual Transmission

DEALER#: 75D201

Your vehicle was ordered with the following features:
California Special
Three-Speed Manual Transmission
6.95 X 14-4 Ply Rated Tires
White Sidewall Tires
Power Steering
AM Radio
Wheel Covers

Your car was actually produced on March 28, 1968 -- eight days ahead of schedule.

Doug

ForrestM

Had to pass on this one. For $500 it was a deal, but I couldn't justify another $1000 to get it down here and store it, especially when I've got a '67 mustang already. My mother would not be happy if she had another inoperable car show up in the driveway.

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

Owner provided a bit more info in the ad. Not surprisingly did not sell...

Very rusty 68 california special project or parts car. All the fiberglass parts are missing, no motor or trans, most interior missing, will roll, was 289. C-4 red outside non gt standard interior, door plate and dash plate there, I lost title years ago. Its in the california special registry, thanks.

And

... needs floors, quarters, trunk pans, probably some lower cowl repair, front aprons, think rockers and torque boxes ok, tail light panel repair, sold as is where is, complete payment thru paypal in 48 hours, thanks.

Mega project and, as a pretty vanilla C code, sadly just not worth restoring...

On the upside some of the rear window and door window trim appers to be in good shape! :cheesy:

BigJim

Why do people let these (and any other classic) car get so bad that they can't be saved? Surely at one point this car could have been restored and enjoyed by someone.

somethingspecial

Why do people let these (and any other classic) car get so bad that they can't be saved? Surely at one point this car could have been restored and enjoyed by someone.

Like so many times we have heard "It was my dads/grand dads etc. and I am going to restore it some day"'. only never to be touched until it is to late. I know where there is a Porsche 356 sitting in the woods rusting away, but NOOOOOO, will not sell. My neighbor has a 37' Chevy truck rusting in the woods and he told me it was his dads and he won't sell, when HE died, I approached the family, and again, NO, now it is shot up, windows broken out and six inches of mulch and rats have destroyed it. As far a this CS, all we can do is chalk it up to another dead CS, which just makes ours more rare. I documented it in the Hard Copy Registry as dead along with the Marti and the owner discription. Lets hope the parts went to a CS in need and it doesn't end up as a VIN switch down the line.

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

Not that long ago these were just "old cars", not that "special". So someone maybe blew up the engine, yanked it and as a car with little value (front looks like it was in a bender) they figured why fix it up, wasn't worth anything so why dump $ into a losing cause. Pulled all the other parts and sold them... and parked the shell in a field.

Heck, in the late 70's and even into the 80's Shelby's were not that expensive and not seen as anything that special by most. I recall looking at GT500's for ~20k in the early 90's, but didn't have the coin. So why would a C code GT/CS be seen much differently? Hindsight is always 20-20, and if everyone saved every car then there really wouldn't be many collectables! :wink:

As for folks keeping their stuff and not selling, their choice. I get tired of all the bozos who try to lowball me on mine, "but you don't drive it much"... piss off... makes me smile just seeing it. So what if its not "restored" or what someone else wants it to be.

I am sure we all have things we do not need, or don't use, that we hang on to anyway... not everyone sees it the same way as the excited potential buyer being the x-hundredth knock on the door, generally for a car with no for sale sign on it... as they know better than the owner what to do with it.

Knew a guy with a GT500KR in really nice shape, parked in his garage for 15-20 years. Dirt covered, crap piled on it, mice and rats... Didn't want to sell, and it sat. But knew as it was a memorial to his son, was "thier" car, and after the tragedy he just couldn't do anything with the car. So never bothered him about what he "should" do with it... be careful if you want to judge others...

somethingspecial

No judgement here. Just relaying my experiences. I would be a hypocrite if I did that. I have my dads P/U and haven't driven it in 18 years. Still roadworthy with some new tires, but would never entertain the thought of selling it.

DeadStang

be careful if you want to judge others...

Very true. I get tired of people telling me what I "should" do with my cars. I feel like wearing a shirt that just says: NO! when I take out one of my unrestored cars.

Midnight Special

Very true. I get tired of people telling me what I "should" do with my cars. I feel like wearing a shirt that just says: NO! when I take out one of my unrestored cars.

...I've come to love the urestored cars way more than the "chalk & daub, stickered up" trailer queens! They have a much better story to tell. And as one who was "told what to do" by an authoritative know-it-all who didn't have a car as accurate as my clone, I decided early on I would never go concours!

...But had I met the likes of Marty Rupp and a few others in those days, things may have been different.

...so yes...do what you want and don't f****g judge others> ;-)

Respectfully, (believe it or not)

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

... well.... the original car in this thread sure qualifies as "unrestored"! :eek:

And I will say I do judge those that walk up to my (or any car not theirs) at a show and touch it, open a door, sit in it, or plop a kid on the fender for a photo... without asking first (even then my answer is no, unless she's cute!) :wink: