• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 C code air cleaner base stud

dalorzo_f

Can someone measure their carb stud, the one the wingnut goes on to hold the base/lid down.

On mine I just put a correct carb I got on and the stud is 1" too tall. The tip is about 2 1/2" above the lid and the threads stop about 1" above the top of the lid... and yes, there is the ~1" spacer with PCV port under the carb...

Was going to swap a Holley one off my S code but the C code OEM carb has an odd dual-diameter stud with a larger base and a nut, meaning no adjustment... really don't want to cut it as it never looks like anything but a chop... wondering if I got a wrong part and need dimensions to check.

Edward Bodoh

Mine is 1 1\4" from bottom of nut carb side to top of bolt where wing nut screws on. Hope that helps. Ivy rED here.

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

Thanks

Hmmm... OK, I have the wrong item. Mine is waaayyyyy longer than that. Anyone know a source for the correct item? Looked at a few parts houses, could not find it..

franklinair

IIRC its 1/4 20 threaded stock. Should be easy enough to find in OZ, and just cut it to length.

Neil

robert campbell

There are many different lengths of the stud based on the type of air cleaner. Ensure you get the one for your year car. They are 5/16 20 on the carb end and act as a "bolt" to tighten the carb top to the carb body. You could weld a piece of 1/4 20 to some 5/16 20 and use a nut to tighten.

Rob

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

Yeah, its an odd dual-diameter-with-a-nut-in-the-middle. I'll find the right part, not a "weld a few bits together that work" type...:wink:

If I was if I ever sell it I'd be fodder for the "guess what the PO did..." posts! :eek:

robert campbell

Went through a bunch of my stuff yesterday. Found two that are both different in length. And they are a bit long.

Rob

CougarCJ

I have 4 in my collection. Can't find anything on the forums to differentiate them.

CougarCJ

Thanks

Yep, that looks like it... $9 part, $20 shipping! :wink:

Richard, for International shipping, use UPS Mail Innovations for parcels weighing less than 4 lbs. The only down side is that there is no tracking. Our customers have reported 10-14 days transit to Oz.

UPS Mail innovations is where UPS hauls large bulk bags of small parcels to Several US Mail distribution centers for International distribution. A partnership if you will.

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

Yep, that was just the "web cost" from the site noted. I should have asked you for one with my recnt order of brake block/valve O ring kits...

Mine on the car looks like the top one, as noted about 1" too long.

How much to ship a short one to me? The second from the top looks about right. I can measure and get dims off the car later today. PM me with info if you may be able to provide one. For a $10 part not worried about tracking as I think I have had one parcel in hundreds go missing, and it eventually turned up... they do pretty good.