• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

CS Wanted. Help for Newbie with California Dream

njmop

First of all, I live in NJ. BUT! I am going to travel anywhere (prefer west!) for a nice bodied mustang.
The CS is the best looking Stang (that I think I can afford). What can I expect (no laughs please) in the 10-15K range? I've seen a couple in good shape on this site for fair prices. I don't expect perfection, just a decent start.

At this point I'd take drivablility over originality. Color scheme isn't super important to me.

I would consider any 65-68 Mustang (V8) in "rest/mod" condition (PB,PS, 4 or 5spd, etc.) , but these CS's give a Shelby look to a dreamer like myself....

Thanks all!

p51

For $10K to $15K you should be able to get a very decent GT/CS, especially at the the $15K level. Well, at least you could 2yrs ago. I'm not sure how prices have changed since then.

I paid ~$16K and got a GT/CS that literally looked/drove like it came right off of the showroom floor. The fellow I bought it from restored stangs as his hobby and put a lot of care into the restoration - he was also a really nice fellow, like most owners of Cal Specials are :)

It came with a trunk full of trophies as well.

The only thing that I *had* to do to the car was add front disc brakes - driving with drum brakes is extremely scary these days. I also added a 5-spd for fun.

My suggestion is to try to find a Southern or Western (no rust) car. Unless you like working on cars I would suggest paying a bit of a premium for a very cherry car that had been restored as a hobby. If you buy low there's a good chance that you'll put more $s into the car getting into the shape you want it in. Gauge the seller - does he treat the car as his baby? Does he look grim when you suggest that you're going to make some mods? If so, he's the guy to buy from.

When I bought mine, the way I looked at it was I could buy a new (low end) Camary or a "new 1968" GT/CS. Was there really a choice? ;)

As far as comparing to Shelby Mustangs - what other car could you buy that looks as good as a Shelby (better!), is rarer than a Shelby, and costs 1/10th the price of a Shelby?

The only other car I can think of that *might* come close (and this may just get me booted off the site) is a '69 Camero - doh, did I actually say that??? :eek:

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

OP
OP
njmop

njmop

Thanks for the advice. I am chomping at the bit trying to find a good CS and I don't want to get caught off guard.