• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 E-10 Ethanol

whodat

Is E-10 ethanol bad for these old engines? Should I try and find gas with no E-10? I was recently asked this and didn't know the answer.
Dominick

Mosesatm

Here is a paragraph from an Australian site.

Carburettor Equipped Engines
Vehicles made before 1986 vehicles were predominantly equipped with carburettors and steel fuel tanks.

The use of ethanol blended petrol in engines impacts the air/fuel ratio because of the additional oxygen molecules within the ethanol's chemical structure.

Vehicles with carburettor fuel systems may experience hot fuel handling concerns. This is because the vapour pressure of fuel with ethanol will be greater (if the base fuel is not chemically adjusted) and probability of vapour lock or hot restartability problems will be increased.

As a solvent, ethanol attacks both the metallic and rubber based fuels lines, and other fuel system components.

Ethanol also has an affinity to water that can result in corrosion of fuel tanks and fuel lines. Rust resulting from this corrosion can ultimately block the fuel supply rendering the engine inoperable. Water in the fuel system can also result in the engine hesitating and running roughly.

390cs68rcode

How can you not use it if that's all they sell in your state (Texas)?

I have been using it for a couple of years or however long they have been using it here. I haven't found any issues so far.

Mosesatm

It seems to me that it would be a problem only if the car sits for a long time and water accumulates in the tank. If you use up the gas in a timely manner it should be fine, which should be easy enough in an S-code!!!

Ruppstang

I use it all the time in my E 250 work van with no problems at all. I also use it at times in the mustangs and have no promlems but I have noticed on trips that I get 2-3 MPG better with regular. I have been told that there are more hydrocarbons in the regular so you get better fuel ecomny. Jon at Pony Carbs says that it will not hurt the carburetor at all. Marty

OP
OP
whodat

whodat

There is a station in the middle of town that sells no ethanol gas. They have been selling it for years and I didn't even notice the sign. I filled up yesterday and they are full service. Needless to say he spilled gas all over the back of the car. $2.72 a gallon.

franklinair

Recently I got gas at a MOBIL station. There pump was placarded "Our Regular contains no ethanol."

Neil

Scott

My carby man says that he reckons he's traced ethanol to be the cause of seals disolving that have been in service for decades. Only happens to some cars. He hasn't said anything about extra wear on any metal surfaces. His opinion is that it should run the same and he doesn't actively tell customers not to use it but maybe that could have a commercial motivation too ;)
I steer clear of the stuff but mainly because I prefer the crisp smell of super premium!