• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Found my unicorn...

dalorzo_f

After, literally, two decades of looking I finally found a good set of OEM '68 factory headrests.

Unfortunately blue, not black, but in "good" condition with all 4 mounting bezels (one cracked well into the seat, the are amazingly long... and thread to the mounts, did not expect that) and all 4 mounting brackets and associated hardware in very good shape...

Need to look into some minor restoration and recoloring and then decide which '68 to put them in....

:smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

A few photos for others reference. In looking at them a bit it now makes sense to me that the sleeve is threaded to the mount, fixes that length from sleeve to top of seat.

Also note the large jam nut to allow the post sleeve in the mount to be shifted left/right as required.

Ruppstang

Nice find. It is very common for them to break at the bottom. Never try to screw them on or off by the top. That is how they break. Look in side the tube and you will see a hex molded in the plastic. I made a tool to turn it in and out by that hex. Best repair for the cracks is JB Weld then several wraps of aluminum duct tape. Then screw it on then off the mounting stud, that will clear the excess JB Weld.
Marty

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

Thanks Marty!

I did notice the hex, thought I'd need to make some sort of "tube wrench". They do seem to get a it seized to the base threads.

Would you have a pic of your fabricated installation tool??

I have a friend who does 3D printing and may look into scanning and replication of the tubes. I think I recall a post somewhere about someone who did machine replacements.. not sure if it was here or elsewhere... most of mine are "ok" and should be reusable, bit one may be a bit too damaged to fix...

Ruppstang

No picture of the tool just 6 inches of 3/8 ready rod with a nut welded on both ends.
Whodat here has made some nice looking reproductions.
Marty