• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

GTCS registry

P

PNewitt

Thanks for pointing this out to me.

I read what "RoyceP" had to say, and I disagree with the premise about transferring parts from one car to another to fake a GT/CS. As I'll explain in the book, there are quite a lot to do to actually "fake" a GT/CS. By comparison, clones of Shelbys are popping up, and I wouldn't doubt one or more of the XR7-G Cougars. The professionals can just about fake anything, but to the average enthusiast, it would be difficult. Again, the Marti Report (and/or orig paperwork and build sheet) is the last word.

As Jason pointed out (thanks, Jason!( and another supporter--Kevin)), I never said that ALL the cars in my registry (1989, and 1996) were/are authentic. Marti reports didn't exist then. Royce didn't read my disclaimer at the front of both years' registries in print.

The new registry will include a column for those who provided a Marti Report.

We tried to get a complete list of the VINs for the GT/CS (incl. HCS) from Marti, and was refused, for obvious reasons of potential fraud, etc. I don't know what he's talking about getting XR7-Gs' VIN numbers as a list from Marti (if I read this right).

There's not a lot I can do--since I work on owner's honesty. I don't doubt there are a few "fakes" in my registry; and I have caught a few over the years.

Paul N.

CougarCJ

I personally know Royce Peterson (XR7-G registrar), Scott Taylor (1969-1970 Cougar Cobra Jet registrar), and Jim Pinkerton (Cougar GT-E registrar).

Royce has in fact purchased from Kevin Marti the door data plate information for all XR7-G Cougars, nothing more, not full reports. Jim Pinkerton has at least the same information for all of the GT-E's W code 427's and R code 428's. Although I think Jim has much more additional information regarding selling dealers, and uncommon options such as rear shoulder belts, sunroofs, and special order paint details.

In all three of these Cougar registries there are known rebodies, suspected rebodies, and at least one fake XR7-G that I saw that had a San Jose (code R) assembly plant. All XR7-G's were produced in Dearborn (code F) and sent to A.O. Smith for conversions just like the Shelby Mustangs. If sunroofs were to be installed they also went to American Sunroof Corporation (ASC).

Royce comes off way too strong in his commentary on many subjects. He really only means to say that fakes exist in nearly all muscle and collector car groups.
Cougar Eliminators I imagine have the most fakes in the Cougar world.
I can say with out a doubt that every single Eliminator convertible is a fake:wink:

390cs68rcode

CougarCJ

Keep in mind there were 4118 GT/CS's and HCS's built. That would be a big check to write to Marti. There just is not enough $$$$ in selling the registry to justify it. Paul is going to have a column in the new registry that shows if a Marti report was submitted to prove it is a GT/CS. This should help down the road to prove if a car is real or not.

CougarCJ

I totally understand, the CJ registrar would be facing the same issue with shear numbers, 2380 428 CJ's for 1969/70 all body styles.

I like the Kevin Marti report posts. Kind of like showing your birth certificate:grin:

P

PNewitt

Hi Cougar CJ,

Thanks for pointing these things out, and welcome "over here".... We approached Kevin Marti about obtaining the GT/CS (and HCS) VINs, and it was not possible. I'm not sure how or what the conditions were for Royce to obtain his information. Perhaps we should "revisit" the idea of us doing that. As it is, we spent quite a lot of money to get some other "data mining" from Kevin for my new book on the GT/CS.

I gathered Royce's "character", but let it go at enthusiasm--and passion for how these fakes get out there. So--I took it in stride. Thanks for saying so.

I think the XR7-G cars have a lot in common with the GT/CS, and other cars in the works at the time--as well as the A.O. Smith work. (example--the Lucas Lights). I have a Tunnel Port 302 steering wheel emblem (artwork) that was considered, if that engine had gone to late '68 production.

I used to know a Cougar Club president named Terry, years ago in San Diego. Great guy! I used to belong to the SD Mustang CLub, and worked for JBA, doing their logo back then, too.

Thanks for pointing these things out. We all can work together in exposing the fakes.

Paul N.

Mustanger

PNewitt said:
..., and worked for JBA, doing their logo back then, too. ...

Paul N.

Wow, I didn't you worked for JBA ... my speed shop, Performance Associates, who had a hand in all my Mustangs have a close relationship to JBA ... my '89 and '95 had/have JBA's ... cool ...

Last edited:

68gt390

The funny thing about the article that was written by "Royce" is his constant mention about the Marti Report. As everyone on this site knows, how many times have we as owners stated to anyone considering buying any GT/CS to obtain a Marti Report before any purchase.

I'm also confident that most if not all the cars that will be listed in Paul's new book will be accompanied by a marti report.

Don :cool:

BroadwayBlue

Paul,

Out of curiousity.
If you have a registry entry from before (prior editions) but cannot get in contact with the listed owner or they don't update their info this time around... will you include the info as is or remove it?

Rich