• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

How many GT/CS are left?

classicsguy

I know this topic has been discussed before,but, is the notion that less than half of the 4118 produced by Ford still in existence? That would be more or less 2000 GT/CS and HCS. Is this correct? Thanks

P

PNewitt

I've answered this question before...and will again, I'm sure.

There is more than one way to answer this. You can easily assume that half are gone. Wrecked, trashed, abandoned, stolen, burned, etc...

That leaves about 2,000.

But...you can go on the compliance of the '68 Shelbys in the SAAC Registry. It's about 40%. If you went on that same percentage...you'd get 1,647. But, not everyone registers their GT/CS. I have just under 900 cars. If you double that--you're at 1,800. But...half are gone. So...I really think that the number left is closer to 1,800 as a very educated guess.

Then you take the numbers of those with engines, colors, etc...and you REALLY get a feel for rarity. Then you suddenly get a real feel for just how rare your GT/CS is....and appreciate it even more.

But no one will really know. There is no way to track cars out there....and there are those unregistered (state DMV), in barns, garages, etc..

And there is the clone issue that complicates things, too.

Paul N.

OP
OP
C

classicsguy

Thanks Paul for answering the question that I know it has been discussed before. You are right:Not everyone registers these cars,I bought one from previous owner that had it for 20 years and never registered it. The car needs total restoration but ITS a genuine GT/CS per Marti. I am sending you a copy of the Marti this week so you can put it in Registry!!

GT/CS S Code

A few in Victoria ....

Not sure of the exact numbers locally, but suspect there are at least four 68 GT/CS cars in the Victoria area. Haven't seen any of the new models around town yet, but I might not be paying enough attention to notice either. I'm usually too busy looking in the rear view mirror watching for red and blue lights when I drive our "S" code! Guess I've got to cut that out too, as my wife keeps giving me hell everytime my foot "slips" on the gas pedal ....
I've seen another well worn and torn GT/CS parked on the street in downtown Victoria (also red, but very much faded and in tough condition overall), and I don't know if Mike sold the "project car" he had listed for sale locally a little while ago. I also know of one more that's tucked away in a local garage with a tarp pulled over it. It's bone stock and the older gent that has it bought it for his daughter to drive many, many years ago. It's been sitting in his garage with a tarp over it for at least 25 years that I know of. I've been meaning to touch base with him to go over and see it sometime to compare notes on our cars, as I know that his is all original. From memory it's a small block V8 (289 or maybe a 302?) with an automatic. I suspect it will be fairly low original mileage on that car, but don't know how well it has weathered the passage of time sitting in his garage? If we didn't only have a one car garage and 6 pieces of rolling stock already (5 on road and one still off) I'd be tempted to talk to him about buying it if he'd consider letting it go ......
:rolleyes:

CougarCJ

Question for Paul

Paul, if the survival rate is approximately 40% which is pretty normal for most vintage American cars from what I have read.

How many of the 900 are ...
  • #1 or #2 restored cars?
  • Major projects / non-running mostly complete cars?
  • Scrapped and or parted?
  • #3 unrestored drivers?