• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 License lamp Shield

dalorzo_f

FAM shows the install, but looks like one was never installed on mine... no holes above the valence for the mounts.

And the repro fits kinds funny, not sure if they were used with the GTCS as the tail panel seem to interfere with the mount screws.

Anyone got photos of an OEM installed?

x-codegtcs

I found that mine attached to 3 points - two points are the same screw as the fiberglass taillight panel and the third is just under the "lip" right below the gas cap. No original photos, was based off what I could find on the net and the assembly manual.

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

mmmm..... the shield I have needs a good stretch to get to the inboard two holes on the fiberglass panel... (not that that means it is anywhere near close to OEM dimensions!) :wink:

Ruppstang

The repop one is junk. That is one piece that I try to find on junk cars.

x-codegtcs

Here are a couple of photos that show it, but not specifically just that part. It is all I could find...but I think you will get the idea. The two outer most screws also hold the rear tail light panel in place. The center screw is a pan head self taping phillips like the ones that hold the rear valence on. The outer two are the truss washer head that I chose to use as the "correct" light panel screw for this car (but I changed to black phosphate when I attached the light panel).

Attachments

• DSC07652.JPG
    DSC07652.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC07655.JPG
    DSC07655.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC07656.JPG
    DSC07656.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC07657.JPG
    DSC07657.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

Hmm... no holes in the center location on mine... and the shield is far too short to span the inner lower tail panel ones... to drill or not to drill.....

J_Speegle

Hmm... no holes in the center location on mine... and the shield is far too short to span the inner lower tail panel ones... to drill or not to drill.....

Do you have the right one for your car? 67-8 and 69-70 versions are different. Upper one is the 67-8 version

Have a couple of poor 67-68 ones that likely will help little. Most of the time they are missing or rotted and have fallen off. Out here once the bumper is removed from the car in a wrecking yard they ripe and rot within 6 months when exposed to the elements and sun. Don't have any left in any of the Calif Special samples

Typically held to car with screws with pan head (as mentioned above ;)- finished phosphate and oil. 69-70 use a different style screw

The newer ones (reproductions) shown above on Scott's site are very close to original. He used a few of mine for samples and then I got the new repos to compare. Unless doing a no repo part restoration would not reuse an original since these came out.

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

Yep, have the 67-68 version.

Out of curiosity what is the overall length of the OEM you show, wondering if the repro is just too short. It is a masticated rubber one, not the smooth version.

Thanks for the info...

J_Speegle

Yep, have the 67-68 version.

Out of curiosity what is the overall length of the OEM you show, wondering if the repro is just too short. It is a masticated rubber one, not the smooth version.

Thanks for the info...

Measured and came up with just about 23 7/8"

Top and bottom are originals - middle one is a reproduction (69-70) to compare length visually ;)

Hope this helps