• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Lucas Lights Question

stangfan

Today I swapped out my "Foreign Glass" lens for one of the "England" lenses from my spare set of lights. When I took the spare apart, I found that the lens was secured to the light housing by a sort of putty. Then when I took the lens off the light on the car, it had a similar putty used on it. Is this a factory install by Lucas, or have people done this over the years to keep moisture out? I had taken the other lens off on the car earlier, and it had no putty at all.

Thanks. :grin:

Mosesatm

The lens should be attached to the reflector with window-type putty.

OP
OP
stangfan

stangfan

Thanks.

Is there a problem with the putty being removed? It's not like I will be driving the car in the rain, unless I get caught coming back from a car show. I have lens covers installed as well.

Mosesatm

Hmmm, good question.
I guess the screws will hold everything together so the putty isn't required, as long as you stay out of the rain and be careful when you wash the car.

BTW, I have some good reflectors if anyone wants to replace their rusty ones.

OP
OP
stangfan

stangfan

Thanks for the followup. I will keep an eye on the lights. If moisture starts getting in, I will look into getting some window putty.

:grin:

Sarge

Arlie,

I could use some good reflectors if they are available. Mine are a little raspy around the edges, and I'm looking for replacements. If they are available, let me know what you are looking to get for them.

Thanks,
Robert

Mosesatm

Sure, PM me with your address and I'll send them to you as soon as I can.

Sarge

Arlie,
I read the message again, and the thread is for Lucas lights. Sorry, I have Marchals, so I appreciate the offer but I will need to look elsewhere!
Thanks,
Robert