• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 My buck tag. What does it tell me?

Ruppstang

It says your car was
A 1968 Mustang built in Metuchen NJ.
It is a coupe body style
It has a 289 2V
It has a standard blue interior
It was painted N= Diamond Blue
CS= C stripe option
ST = standard transmission
243 = the rotation number
It was the 178633 Ford built at Metuchen
I hope this helps.
Marty

68sunlitgold

BTW your car would not be a GT/CS because of the 'T' (second place in the VIN = Metuchen). All CS's are 'R' which is San Jose plant.

S

slimt

I got a question.. the gt/cs I have does not have the buck tag.. or any signs of having one. is that normal?

dalorzo_f

Yes, no tag is normal for San Jose builds... Most San Jose cars did not get delivered with buck tags. The tags were removed prior to completion/shipping...

OP
OP
B

Boss302

BTW your car would not be a GT/CS because of the 'T' (second place in the VIN = Metuchen). All CS's are 'R' which is San Jose plant.

That is correct, thank you. I knew it wasnt a real one going into this project :)

J_Speegle

Yes, no tag is normal for San Jose builds... Most San Jose cars did not get delivered with buck tags. The tags were removed prior to completion/shipping...

Just a little correction. San Jose in 68 didn't use or make buck tags so they were never installed nor removed. Each plant handled some production practices different possibly due to what had been done by the workers in prior years, the way the plant was laid out or the manager just wanted to do it his way and it worked. Sort of like the different way that Dearborn used their buildsheets when compared to San Jose practices

San Jose first started using buck tags in 69 (trying it out) and used them on all 70 Mustangs before production of Mustangs was shut down the end of that production year.

As for a site to decode them more will be difficult to use since each plant used different codes during different time period according to the guys that made up those codes. If the site doesn't reference codes by year/month and plant its going to get confusing and possibly provide you with the incorrect answers to your questions. Best IMHO and most recent publication of the codes can be found in The Mustang and Cougar Tagbook by Kevin Marti

BigJim

Buck tag:
images