• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

New "jewels" for the Jewells!...

Midnight Special

...'Was privileged today with going down to Auburn, CA to photograph Mike and Robinette Jewell take posession of their latest of two great '68s!

Today was a "honey" of a GT/CS that now features a 302 4v 4-spd! If ever there was a "Gold Country Special", this is it!

Two weeks earlier - the (something special) crew acquired what is perhaps the most complete (tho stored for many years) 1968 J-code coupe we had ever seen!

Mike will be along here soon to fill you in on all the details of both cars. As they didn't have the camera, I was there to do the honors... Enjoy!
:)

Attachments

• IM003396.JPG
    IM003396.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IM003405.JPG
    IM003405.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IM003404.JPG
    IM003404.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 48
  • IM003403.JPG
    IM003403.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IM003401.JPG
    IM003401.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IM003400.JPG
    IM003400.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IM003390.JPG
    IM003390.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IM003395.JPG
    IM003395.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 56

J_Speegle

Tim, don't know here he's going to keep all of these ;) The standard coupe was there when I was a couple of weeks ago. The gold one must be very recent.

More stuff to keep him busy

OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

Tim, don't know here he's going to keep all of these ;) The standard coupe was there when I was a couple of weeks ago. The gold one must be very recent.

More stuff to keep him busy

...Indeed ;-) I asked him the same thing & he said "I'oh'know - we'll figure that out later" ;-)) Jeff, he picked up the coupe on the night before you were there. We pressure washed it in my driveway so you could see all the inspection marks...
The gold one was this afternoon. No doubt he & Robinette are out cruising in it right now which is why we haven't heard from him here yet ;-)

P

PNewitt

That bronze/copper/orange metallic color looks like it should have originally been a stock color for '68. What a "looker" color! No doubt, it will be a big attention-getter on the road, and parked. I bet that it's a custom street rod color.

Congrats! Very nice!

Paul.

This VIN's not yet in the registry...but it will be!

somethingspecial

Where The Heck Am I Going To Keep All These?!?!

Well, Since this is a website for the GT/CS, I will start with that. First, I must say, my wonderful wife Robinette found this one. I picked up a bunch of Mustang adds, and I looked through them and saw the same ones from last month, and closed the book. The next day, she picked it up and turned one more page and there it was. It is an original Lime Gold 289 2V, three speed car. Well, it was upgraded to a 302, 4V, 4sp. Black int. and the coolest metalic copper/orange I have ever seen. No other real options, Just a FUN car to drive.
The second car is an original J code automatic coupe. It is diamond blue with blue int. Remote side mirror, power front disc brakes, factory air cond. We got it from the original owner, who claimed the engine siezed in 1980 and parked it in the garage ever since. It was covered with a parachute. The moisture took it's toll on the outside chrome, but that was quickly replaced. we pulled the 302 cid engine and have it at the builders now. It turns out the engine wasn't siezed, but a cracked head. Probably hydro-locked and that was it.
The factory paint inspector marks were still perfect, the second rotation #s were found on the hood, rear valance, and the front and rear seats. It has the original wheels and hubcaps, (Crager SS wheel in picture are going to be the driver wheels). The original spare tire is still in the trunk. Jeff Speegle pointed out several of these fine marks, and we even found the original assembly line dolly marks in the trunk. The pinch weld is painted black and has all the original drips flowing under the floor. The VIN was located on the engine block and transmission, and all match. Well, That is about it for now. Thanks Tim for your help today, and for this post. Paul, I will get you the survey and Marti report. Jeff, Thank you for all your help on "Something Special" and the blue Coupe. Mike and Robinette.

P

PNewitt

Thinking about that strong bronze color, I'm wondering what a "gunmetal grey metallic" color on the taillight panel would look like. Silver would be too bright; as the darker grey metallic would bring out the dark base already in the bronze--and in the black stripes, too.

Paul N.

somethingspecial

Paul, I don't think the dark taillight panel would look good, but we are thinking about black hood stripes. What do you think. Mike

OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

More pics...

...taken today when Mike brought his new CS by for some group shots. Not since Diesel Donna's visit has the place been so busy ;-) 'Just a shadow of things to come in August and Mike's big BBQ! "Marie68mustangs was on hand taking pictures as well...

We now have 11 GT/CSs within a ten mile radius here in western Nevada County. The type is more common than virtually any other '64.5 to '73 (individual) model!
Who would've dreamed?...

Mike & I did!

Attachments

• IM001846.JPG
    IM001846.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IM001847.JPG
    IM001847.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IM001856.JPG
    IM001856.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IM001865.JPG
    IM001865.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IM001857.JPG
    IM001857.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IM001854.JPG
    IM001854.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IM001850.JPG
    IM001850.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IM001845.JPG
    IM001845.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 31
P

PNewitt

"expert" designer opinion....

Paul, I don't think the dark taillight panel would look good, but we are thinking about black hood stripes. What do you think. Mike

Well, OK, you asked.... LOL! You've barely burned up the first tank of gas, and you're already getting opinions for mods....

I made color swatch samples for you. At the top, it shows an actual photo of your door jamb, with the bronze paint. Below it, is a photo of carbon fiber, in shades of gunmetal grey. At bottom is how the two colors work, such as a gas cap (courtesy of: http://www.mag-knight.com/new_page_7.htm )

Here are a few websites to bolster my ideas for you...

http://www.leftlanenews.com/detroit-2006-mitsubishis-hybrid-concept-ct.html

http://www.idcow.com/mst2162.html

http://cars.ign.com/articles/749/749871p1.html

BTW--The third one is the latest concept "Giugiaro Mustang".

SOOooo--ask Robinette what color dress she'd wear with high heels in that bronze color??? Most likely a neutral, black grey or white, right??. You've got a VERY garish color there, and only a neutral will work with it. That color is what Lambo, Ferrari, and the Japanese use for their concept cars. So--you have what I would call a GT/CS that is getting the heads up in terms of uniqueness as much as Little Red, or the Green Hornet. IMO--I would jump on this, and (re) consider the taillight panel in either a medium-dark grey, or use the carbon fiber material as described above.

The color is SO strong, that you should tastefully finish it out with that grey color on the taillight panel AND use the Shelby Ten Spokes...(next panel).

Attachments

• bronzegrey.jpg
    bronzegrey.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
P

PNewitt

(Part II)

Here is a photoshopped shot of your new baby with polished ten spokes, grabbed off a '68 Shelby photo on the net (sorry--that rear wheel is kinda "kattywhompass", but you get the idea)....

But don't these look HOT!?!?! If you look at the pics of the Giugiaro Mustang"
http://cars.ign.com/articles/749/749871p1.html
you'll see how chrome breaks up the color dominance. Neat, huh? I'd put that same gunmetal grey into the inserts of the ten-spokes, and use those "CS" center caps, too. And, BTW, yes to the black hood stripes. But I'd do them in gloss black, like the one on the Giugiaro, because all of this is reaching a (tasteful) "street rod" look, anyway

Just some quick ideas....please, it's not a crit. Just ideas for a VERY special-Special!

Enjoy your new addition (any way you wish!)...

Paul N.
Hmmm...name her -- "HotJewel" ?

Attachments

• hotjewel.jpg
    hotjewel.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 34

somethingspecial

Thanks Paul, Some really unique ideas for a really unique car. I love the look of the 10 spokes. A lot to consider. As for a name, Robinette and I decided on "The Orange Blossom Special". Being a RR buff, I'm sure you would agree. CalifGirl, I knew you would agree on the hood stipes. I even pulled up pictures from your gallery to show my family what it would look like. They all agree. Mike

P

PNewitt

Thanks Paul, Some really unique ideas for a really unique car. I love the look of the 10 spokes. A lot to consider. As for a name, Robinette and I decided on "The Orange Blossom Special". Being a RR buff, I'm sure you would agree. CalifGirl, I knew you would agree on the hood stipes. I even pulled up pictures from your gallery to show my family what it would look like. They all agree. Mike

Hey Mike & Robinette. I love the name you came up with! Hmmm...getting personalized plates? "ORNGSPL" ("Little Orange"?)

Although you do have chrome wheels, I think (IMO) that going the next step to ten-spokes, and polished to a mirror finish would really work with this color. Add the black hood stripes, and it's even MORE of a looker!!

Like I said, in the attention category for the "Shelby Coupe", you're up there.

I got into the copper/bronze/orange color aspects to show others, too, what can be done with these cars, whether stock or custom. Some simple things can do a lot.

Paul N.

marie68csmustangs

Yeah, what a fun day it was.. I did take pictures too but, I unfortunately left my camera at Tim's. But, I will post my pictures when I get my camera back.. Mike you have a very nice car...