• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Retaining stud & nut for hood light

stangfan

I don't know why I didn't notice this little detail before, but one of the studs that retain the hood louver lights on my GT/CS is missing. Does the stud simply thread into the light and then the tinnerman nut goes on to secure the light to the hood? I do have a couple of studs from a 68 tail light assembly. Would one of those work?

Thanks in advance. :grin:

Ruppstang

Can you post a picture so I am sure I understand what you need. I most likely have nuts and studs.
Marty

OP
OP
stangfan

stangfan

Here's a picture of the light assembly. You can see where the retainer and nut are missing from the left side.

Attachments

• P1000208.jpg
    P1000208.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 46

Ruppstang

Yep that is what I thought you needed. I have some used ones and NPD sell them. Just a 8 32 1 inch stud and a fiber lock nut.
BTW did you know most San Jose cars turn signal housings were zinc dichromate plated. Often if you remove the nuts holding them you can still see the gold zinc dichromate plating underneath.
Marty

Attachments

• Late 67-68 Hood 001_crop.jpg
    Late 67-68 Hood 001_crop.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
stangfan

stangfan

Thanks Marty. I looked closer and there is a second nut missing from the stud above the missing stud and nut. How much for two nuts and one stud? I am in Canada. I may look into replacing all of them at some point, but for now I'd rather just do it this way.

Am I correct in my assumption that the stud simply threads into the housing?

Thanks.

Ruppstang

PM me your name and address and I'll just send them to you.
BTW the studs do just thread in to the body. They should have paint on them as the housing was painted off the hood. No paint on the nut.
Marty

franklinair

I found the nuts listed on NPD, but not the studs. Got a part number?

Neil

Ruppstang

I found the nuts listed on NPD, but not the studs. Got a part number?

Neil

Neil,
You are correct the NPD kit is only nuts. I must have gotten them from AMK their kit # is F-221 $20.00. I think their minimum order is $30.00.
Marty