• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Seatbelts - Deluxe or Otherwise

stangfan

My GT/CS has the seatbelts which include the shoulder belts. Are these what is referred to as the deluxe seatbelts? If not, what are deluxe seatbelts?

Thanks.

Mosesatm

Deluxe belts have chrome trim.
Standard belts have no chrome.
I'm pretty sure all '68 Mustangs came with shoulder belts.

Attachments

• Deluxe Belts.jpg
    Deluxe Belts.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 36
  • Standard Belts.jpg
    Standard Belts.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 32

RU_SPCL2

Deluxe belts have chrome trim.
Standard belts have no chrome.
I'm pretty sure all '68 Mustangs came with shoulder belts.

Shoulder belts were mandated by federal law as of January 1, 1968. So , all GT/CS's should have come with them, although 68 models manufactured in 67 would not have had them as standard equipment, perhaps not at all.

whodat

The car I bought didn't have the shoulder belts in the car and I am on the lookout for some.

teamlo

I believe the deluxe seat belt option in 1968 also included a seat belt warning light.

Terry

Ruppstang

I believe the deluxe seat belt option in 1968 also included a seat belt warning light.

Terry

It did in 67 also except it was mounted under the dash.

The shoulder belt started as a option in early 68 production, then was standard as stated above. There were also optional shoulder belts for convertibles and rear seat passengers as well.

Tim_morrison82

my mid dec coupe (non CSGT) had deluxe belts, lap only, and didnt even have the retainer nut that was typically welded to the frame...

I will havr to check for the seatbelt warning light.

CougarCJ

My Marti Report declares that my car came with Deluxe Belts. Interior color is (was) Nugget Gold.
My original interior is long gone, and I am putting my GT/CS back together with a color change inside and out.

Here at West Coast Classic Cougar, we are starting to believe that certain seat belt colors only came in Deluxe. 1968-69 belts are basically the same, there are certain colors that we only find with the chromed buckle bezels. Still 'to be determined'.

franklinair

Interesting;
My copy of a salesman's guide dated4-29-68 says "Deluxe with Warning Light".

And then goes on to list "Seat Belts with Front Shoulder Belts" and a price of $15.59.

This would lead me to interpret the Deluxe option (which we seem to think only includes the chrome bezel) included the warning light.
Secondly, the front shoulder belts were listed as a separate option.

Neil

Attachments

• MEGAFILE 003.jpg
    MEGAFILE 003.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 37

CougarCJ

Interesting;
My copy of a salesman's guide dated4-29-68 says "Deluxe with Warning Light".

And then goes on to list "Seat Belts with Front Shoulder Belts" and a price of $15.59.

This would lead me to interpret the Deluxe option (which we seem to think only includes the chrome bezel) included the warning light.
Secondly, the front shoulder belts were listed as a separate option.

Neil

I read it to say "Seat Belts with Front Shoulder Belts", meaning that they couldn't be separated, and deluxe on both.

It also may differentiate from the very rare, "Rear Shoulder Belt Option" for 1968. According to Kevin Marti, Ford installed rear shoulder belts on 99 - 1968 Cougars. I don't know the stats for 1968 Mustangs.

x-codegtcs

I tend to agree with Scott - it seems that the Dlx belts with warning light was costed at two different options - convertible option $12 and coupe/fastback (?) option $15. So with that said...

My original harness was fried and it claimed the seat belt warning light harness...I have thought I am SOL - but now wondering out loud if anyone knows if the dlx wiring harness was separate from the main underdash harness AND where one might find one of these lying around (I have the original switch).

dalorzo_f

Convertible was just laps and the wiring, the extra $3 got you the shoulder straps...

The seatbelt light was separate from the main harness, would find it hard to believe they made that a completely separate underdash harness item... just plugs off a options hot feed under the dash on the stock harness. But not in the schematics as far as I saw, except in the convenience group...

68sunlitgold

Pic of the seatbelt warning light.

Doug

Attachments

• 4305_1.jpeg
    4305_1.jpeg
    14.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 4378_1.jpeg
    4378_1.jpeg
    18.1 KB · Views: 25