• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Shock Tower Holes

Mosesatm

I'm getting ready to weld up the chasm in this shock tower. Are any of the other holes supposed to be there? I hole to the top right of the huge hole is for a wire holder, but the others have me confused, especially the one 4" or so below it.

Thanks

Attachments

• Shock .JPG
    Shock .JPG
    241 KB · Views: 19

TexDan

Other than the grease access chasm, this is in original condition (and dirty). The power steering hose support was lifted up in the second photo for a clearer view. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Shock tower1.jpg
    Shock tower1.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Shock tower2.jpg
    Shock tower2.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

A little off topic, but are the upper control arm nuts and bolts supposed to be painted black?

TexDan

Paul's book on page 152 shows the upper control arm shaft and bushing assembly as "Dark heat-treated steel". It does not mention the nuts. I am NOT an expert on this. I can just show what is on my very original GTCS purchased from a gentleman who owned it for over 51 years. The attached photos show a silver-colored washer and a dark, not painted, bolt and nut on my car. It appears to have the original upper control arms, natural steel. The nuts do not have any witness marks from being wrenched. I did not answer your question, but this is what was found.
Upper Control Arm1.jpgUpper Control Arm2.jpgUpper Control Arm3.jpg

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

I think you're correct. Mine are painted black and they just don't look right, or good.

Ruppstang

The nut is phosphate and oil with red dye. The lock washer is plain phosphate and oil. The red dye is often gone over time.