• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Solenoid question

Jester

A couple of times now my car has just been dead when I turn the key. By tapping the solenoid it engages and starts, so my guess is the solenoid is not what it should be. I am not sure but I think the solenoid is fairly new, that the P.O put it in 4 years ago. A few questions for you mechanics out there. Is it worth trying to fix the solenoid myself, I mean is it usually simple and obvious problems, or should I just by a new one? And if I by a new one what is the expected lifetime? Are they generally failing after a few years? Thanks/Jesper

stangfan

I had a NPD concours level solenoid fail on the second start. They sent me a replacement and it has been fine for over two years now. You just never know these days with most of the repros being made in China.

Ruppstang

+1 on the above comments. I would check for ground and if its I would buy a auto parts store solenoid if it is not a concours car. There is really no way to service solenoids.
Marty

franklinair

If you're not concerned with concourse, I can get 12V aircraft starter solenoids that are of higher quality. About $12.

Neil

OP
OP
J

Jester

I changed the solenoid. When I turn the key,there is now a clear "clack" which I guess would be the starter engaging so I assume the solenoid now is ok. But then nothing. The starter doesn't crank the engine. When I release the key there is another "click" which I again guess is the starter retraction. So, is it the starter and I need to change it or could it be something else?

CougarCJ

Check your battery, and cables. Engine ground strap at back of engine.
Old battery cables build up resistance over time and can get corroded between the wire strands.

OP
OP
J

Jester

Thanks! It turned out to be a wire connection on the starter that wasnt tight enough. I still don't understand why the connection allowed the starter to engage but not to crank the engine. If anyone cares to educate me, feel free.
/Jesper

franklinair

I believe the 'clack' you heard was the solenoid contacts engaging & disengaging. Not the Starter. A Starter is really nothing more than an electric motor.

Neil