• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Some interesting reading about what happened at assembly plants

68gt390

Jason;
I've always been a big believer in that. You see all kinds of stuff in engine bay's, interior's, door's. Any place that stuff could be stuffed. It was.

Don :rolleyes:

68Fan

Interesting! Thanks for posting. I've chatted with some plant workers at auto-shows and they have similar stories.

P

PNewitt

Great info!

Not that it's going into my book, but I know of a 390 CS that has an "obscene" drawing on the metal behind the plastic dash piece on the passenger side--as an "unofficial" factory option!

LOL.

Paul N.

Talan423

upgrades also happen due to parts shortages (even today). for instance... if the plant was completely out of AM radios and the truck is still 100 miles away, management isn't going to shut the line down and send all of the employees home or have 2,000 employees sit around and do nothing just because of the radio shortage, they keep that line running at all cost. lose 1 million dollars in lost production or $200 in radios? management would authorize the worker to install an 8-track or AM-FM stereo. the customer sure isn't going to complain that they got a better radio when it comes time for delivery. this would then cause the marti report to be different from the actual build.

tom

68sunlitgold

Maybe I should look for an end of August built '68 Mustang where they threw a lot of "extra" parts on it. You know they could not use most of the parts in '69.

Doug

luisa2552

Wow, now I feel like taking my interior apart may be a treasure hunt. My car was as basic as they came. AM radio, 3 speed trans and wheel covers were the only options. Maybe some factory worker felt sorry for the poor guy (or girl) who would end up with such a plain jane car and hid some goodies in the door! Here's hoping.....

P

PNewitt

Maybe someone could start a new Classic Mustang and Ford Registry to find and document factory worker "goodies":

- Coffee Cups, wooden stir sticks, sugar bags with FORD logos.

- Coins dated pre-1969, grocery lists, notes.

- Hand drawn "art', and "Kilroy was Here" type stuff.

- Other "factory souvenirs".

- Build Sheets impacted up into the dash, or seats.

- "Wrong" parts.

- Etc...

Paul N.

Perkchiro

I found some interesting "artwork" made with sealing compound on the drivers side seat riser. Looks like just numbers, and I don't know if that's something related to factory numbers or just "playtime" on the part of the factory workers. I'll take a picture and post it if I can get some good light on it.
Steve