• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 stalling in reverse???

68 special

I need help from the Experts.

See if i can make this clear as mud.

Car starts up fine. put in reverse and it dies. start it again, give her some rpm's and she goes into reverse. yes, I have my foot on the brake, LOL

then I turn my signals on and the fuse blows for the signals and brakes.

I disconnected the neutral safety switch and ran a jumper from pin to pin and it starts, goes into reverse and all the signals, brakes work fine, (new fuse). only problem, It starts in all positions.

So, thinking that since it all works when I jump the switch, the switch is bad.

Installed a new motorcraft switch, started her up and all the same problems come back..

Turn signal switch is 6 yrs old, ignition switch and brake switch are about 5 yrs old.

I'm thinking there might be a short from the NS switch plug through the firewall behind the dash somewhere.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Bret

Mosesatm

I haven't the foggiest, but this is more evidence that Steve should open an automotive electrical repair shop for old cars!

Mosesatm

Does it stall if you use the hand brake instead of the regular brakes?

rvrtrash

Sorry, I've been out of town for a while. In the Seattle area as a matter of fact. I have to take my son to the airport on Sunday, and I see you'll be at the Bellevue show. I'll try to stop by and chat with you.

OP
OP
68 special

68 special

haven't tried the hand brake Arlie.

Sounds good Steve. I'll have my car there in the parking lot.

here's my cell # 425-446-0643

Bret