• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

V6 3.5 liter w/twin turbo

66hcs-conv

Hi all,

So does the Ford 150 pickup equipped with the 3.5 liter, twin turbo engine, make a decent car towing vehicle?

Kinda thinking about getting an enclosed trailer & wondering if that engine will be OK for towing a 20 foot enclosed trailer, with 66 Mustang in the trailer (2800lbs, + or -).

Thanks, Dave

BigJim

Don't know about the F150 but if you are going to be doing a lot of highway towing I would consider a F250 with a diesel engine.

rvrtrash

I've towed with a number of vehicles, and my F250 Diesel is the best. You can hardly tell a car is back there. I also think you need to double check how much you're going to be towing. The car alone I probably 2800 lbs, and I'd bet a 20' enclosed trailer is going to be at least another 2000 lbs.

Steve

OP
OP
66hcs-conv

66hcs-conv

I checked NADA specs, and they say the F150 can tow 5500 lbs. So with the weights for car & trailer, I would be getting close to the limits of the F150.

Thanks Steve

Dave

teamlo

Don't know what year truck you're looking at specifically, but the F150 brochure for 2014 shows a maximum loaded trailer weight of 8,000 lbs to 11,300 lbs for the 3.5L EcoBoost, depending on the spec of the truck (cab style, 2wd/4wd, rear axle ratio, etc). I've owned two of them. Never towed with either, so I can't comment specifically on that, but the truck definitely had some decent power. Just pointing out what Ford says in their marketing literature. I'd imagine the 2015 may be even better due to the reduced weight of the truck with the aluminum body.

Can't argue with the F250/F350 diesel comments though!

Terry

OP
OP
66hcs-conv

66hcs-conv

I looked at nada for a 2012 with the 3.5 EcoBoost & it's rated at 5500 lbs towing. But yet our admin (Jon) has a 2014 and I think it is rated at 7900.

'Prolly depends on the model of Ford PU doing the towing. Maybe the 2014 has more HP than the 2012.

Or maybe it depends on the alignment of the planets. :rolleyes:

Yep, with a diesel, it will tow just about any car hauler

Thanks, Dave

Toy68CS

I have a 2012 F150 FX4 Eco and it can tow 9700#.
A co-worker of mine has basically the same truck with the tow package and tows his box trailer with his Honda S2000 auto cross car and all his supporting gear all over the country and he loves it.

With that said Here is all the info you need on towing capacities for Ford trucks.
http://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/

Last edited:
OP
OP
66hcs-conv

66hcs-conv

Bruce,

Thank you, thank you. I appreciate the information.

dave

AADaddy

I have a 2013 Ecoboost F150 and have towed my SVO Mustang on a trailer with it. I picked the car up in northern Wisconsin and brought it back over some very hilly terrain in Southern WI to where I live in Northern IL. The truck didn't seem to skip a beat. Never once thought the truck was struggling. I averaged about 13-14 mpg while towing.