• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Well... Ford could have made that a litte more difficult, if they really tried....

dalorzo_f

So finally get the car-from-hell-repaint engine running. Hooray!

Then... drip, drip, drip... a leak from the timing cover/water pump.:icon_bore

• remove shroud
  • remove fan
  • remove PS Pump and brackets
  • remove alternator and brackets
  • drain radiator
  • remove lower radiator hose, drain more fluid
  • remove thermostat bypass hose
  • remove pump
scratch all the nice new paint all over front of engine bolts/clamps

Install new gaskets (luckily I bought a spare set when I ordered from NPD, not many shops here seem to carry them, special order stuff...)

Reinstall all parts...

That was enough for one day. Will run it again tomorrow, let the sealant set overnight, and hope it fixes it. Then try to mask/respray the front of the block without messing up the engine bay with overspray.

I'm starting to hate my car.....

Bumblebee

I understand the feeling. I've spent the last 4 years trying to keep this big block cool and I tried everything. New radiator, 7 blade fan, shroud, clutch fan, solid fan, thermostat, upper and lower radiator hoses, with spring in the lower, reset the timing, re curved the dizzy, re-jetted the carb, etc etc. Recently added, dual derale 3,750 CFM fans, car finally was perfect in traffic, but at 50-60 MPH, almost in the red. Nearly ready to cry, because now I'm thinking, it's in the block, or cracked head.

Then I had a local experienced radiator guy, he takes out the reasonably new repo radiator, puts in a custom made core and keeps the top and bottom tanks.

Perfect.........

Finally!

green56

ford could havemade that a little more difficult

i had the same problem car over heating one moment and copol the next took it to some mech they could not find any thing then found a mustang mech that works for a resto shop he looked at car and with in 10 min he found the problem it was the Distribuator the plate in side the dist was not keeping the right degree we replaced dist and it rus very good no more over heating i changed out just about what you did Check it out you did every thing else OK Tom From WI