• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Battery/Regulator/Alternator Problem

TraveledGTCS

Okay guys I need some ideas as to what my problem is.

As those who were at the Concord, CA, show last weekend, I had a problem with the battery 'boiling over'. I checked the fluid level there and there were a couple which were a little high, so I was able to lower the level to the marks. Initially the amp meter in the instrument panel was flopping back and forth quite a bit after starting, and it took a while to settle down some. The contact points for the plug in to the regulator were not making a good solid contact so I cleaned the contacts as best I could within the retainer. The amp meter then showed a charge for a while then almost went to the center point mark - just on the charge edge side. Then Monday I removed the female contacts one by one from the retainer and cleaned and squeezed the contacts a tad. I kept an eye on things but there was still some moisture showing up on the battery each time we stopped for the night. The amp meter still would only go to the right edge of the center mark.

Today I took a reading of the battery and it reflected 12 volts; I then started the engine and the charge rate was 14.5 volts. I let it run for 15 min or so and then turned it off. The battery reflected 14 volts; I let it sit for an hour and then it reflected 12.5

I currently have an electronic regulator and the Motorcraft battery is about two years old.

Any ideas/suggestions as to what the cause could be and/or fixes??

Thanks,

Bill

franklinair

Its late, and my shop manual is at work. But the figure of 13.2 volts comes to mind for the correct regulated voltage output. I'll double check my books to verify. If my memory is correct, then the system is over charging the battery. This would point to the VR allowing the alternator to put out too much voltage.
As for the ammeter, they are historicly unreliable. The only semi-successful remedy I've heard of is to clean the terminal connection (s) at the starter relay. Its a poorly engineered circuit, and some folks opt to have it converted to a Voltmeter as new cars have.

Neil

OP
OP
TraveledGTCS

TraveledGTCS

Hi Neil, you were up late.

I've seem to remember hearing about the 13.2 volts somewhere, but I wasn't sure. The voltage regulator was a new one I put in at the show, so could it be the alternator? I think it's about 5-6 years old.

Bill

hcsstang

I had two new ones that were bad. I still had the old one and it was good . So I used the new cover on the old volt regulator.

68 special

I had the same problem a year or so ago. Bought 3 voltage regulators before I found a good one.

Bret

CougarCJ

We sell the concours covers by themselves.

Voltage regulator cover

The concours voltage regulators are reproduced using the same 1960's technology. Very high failure rate. Restorers have been drilling out the rivets and installing the covers onto the electronic voltage regulators.