• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Hazard Lights

Ersel66

My hazard lights do not work and I know it is not the turn signal switch (I just replaced that). Any ideas of the issue?
Thanks in advance. :grin:

J.Bart

My hazard lights do not work and I know it is not the turn signal switch (I just replaced that). Any ideas of the issue?
Thanks in advance. :grin:

have you checked your flasher?

franklinair

Don't have my books here @ home. Does the Emerg flasher use a separate flasher?

Neil

Mosesatm

Yes it does. It's clipped into a bracket that you should be able to feel or see if you remove the ashtray and look or feel up and towards the steering wheel. Or stick your head waaaaay under the dash.

Oops, never mind the ashtray idea. The flasher is left of the steering column. I tore my dash apart just for you Neil :wink:.

Here's a photo

Attachments

• Flasher.jpg
    Flasher.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

franklinair

What a guy!

Neil

(I knew it was there. Just wanted to see what extreme you would go to):grin:

OP
OP
E

Ersel66

Thanks guys. Is the flasher the silver round thing circled? If so, I see two of them (in different spots) under my dash?

Do these go bad? Would I just unplug and replace with a new one and it should work?

flasherf.jpg

Mosesatm

The one you circled is the emergency flasher. I think the turn signal flasher is lower than that one and closer to the ignition switch.

They do go bad from time to time. Normally when they fail the associated lights illuminate but they don't flash.

Just unplug the old ones and plug in the new ones, but they also snap into clips and getting them out of the clips can be a little difficult after 41 years. You can see the clip in the photo. Some people do not reinstall the flasher units in the clips but rather just tuck them in with the wiring harness. That makes them a little easier to find and reach next time.

Make sure you install heavy duty flashers if you can (remember all those tail lights). There is a thread on here somewhere that talks about suppliers for the heavy duty units.

Edited to Add:
You can see both units in this photo. The turn signal flasher is much lower, just to the left of the windshield wiper motor.

Attachments

• Both Flashers.jpg
    Both Flashers.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Ersel66

All bulbs and lights work including all turn signals. When I pull the hazard on it not only doesn't blink but it doesn't light. Still think it is the flasher? I can buy one, but hate to waste $ on something if I do not need it.

J.Bart

have you checked "all" of your fuses, i don't remember for sure but it seems the brake and flashers are on a seperate fuse from some of the other lights.

yes i think so, the only difference i found is the time between flashes

OP
OP
E

Ersel66

have you checked "all" of your fuses, i don't remember for sure but it seems the brake and flashers are on a seperate fuse from some of the other lights.

yes i think so, the only difference i found is the time between flashes

YES! Fuses are checked.

franklinair

Trying to do this from memory (don't have my wiring diagrams here @ home).
I THINK the 2 flashers are the same- L shaped connectors. Either should work in either position.
I THINK the Emerg flasher circuit has power all the time- meaning the Emerg flasher will work without the key being On (Acc or Run position).
I THINK the Emerg flasher circuit does go thru the Turn Signal switch.
I THINK the fuse for this circuit is the very bottom one in the fuse block.
Now, if all these suppositions are correct, here's what I'd try: (are you savvy with a voltmeter or test light?)
1.) Substitute the Emerg Flasher and see if they work. If OK, you've solved the problem.
2.) If not OK, put the Emerg Flasher switch ON, and check for 12 volts on BOTH ends of the fuse. It may be blown, or the clips that hold the fuse may be corroded.

There are only 3 components in the circuit: Fuse, Flasher, Turn Signal switch. Wiring COULD be the problem, but I doubt it. If you eliminate the Fuse & Flasher, guess what? The Turn Signal switch in these cars is notorious for failing.
I'll be out of town this weekend- hope you have good news (meaning solution!) for me when I get back Monday.

Neil

J.Bart

ok what about a bad key switch? power not getting to the hazard circuit?

franklinair

Nope. Power for the Emerg Flasher doesn't go thru the ignition switch. The circuit is intended to work at all times.
If your car was disabled, on the side of the road, everything Off, the flashers should still work.

Neil

J.Bart

well like you said, it's time to get the meter out and start tracing the circuit

aemoo28

Ok I'll chime in here. When Dr. Rob crawled underneath my 68's dash and replaced the brake switch, fuse, and whatever else, suddenly the emergency flashers worked again. They went out of service with the brake lights. Dr. Rob fixed it. Dr. Rob, what did we do again?