• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

. Photo Your Winter Fun

Ruppstang

Arlie,
That was bad! The exhaust gasket is partly to blame. Ford never used exhaust gaskets because they wanted the heat in the exhaust manifold to be cool with the head. This is even a bigger problem with six cil. engines. I plain both surfaces, paint them, bolt and tork and never have any leaks or cracked manifolds. Marty

Mosesatm

The rest of the day was spent shortening the front springs on the J-code, changing the rear stripe on the J-code (thanks Neil), and changing the black stripes to white on the C-code.
There's nothing like a rainy day to get some car chores done.

Attachments

• DSCN6958.jpg
    DSCN6958.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 78
  • White Stripes from Front.jpg
    White Stripes from Front.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 77
  • White Stripes from Rear.jpg
    White Stripes from Rear.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

Mosesatm

This evening seemed like a good time to rebuild my tail lights so this is what I found. Some goober bonded the end caps to the tail light panel!!!!
And, of course, some of it was stuck to the body so my little 2 hour tail light repair is going to turn into a 2 day ordeal.

Attachments

• End Cap.jpg
    End Cap.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 85
  • End Cap 2.jpg
    End Cap 2.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 86

somethingspecial

Mikes hotrod progress

After several delays, a project I started two winters ago finally made some headway. Stripped the chassis down, boxed it and changed motor from a 4.3 Chevy V-6, Auto to a 383 Stroker SBC with a Borg-Warner T5 out of a 85 Camaro. Had to install a new "Bitchen" recessed firewall. 32' Dash with vintage SW gauges and VintageAir heat and air. While rebuilding the narrowed 8in. Ford rearend, I discovered the right axle housing was warped out of alignment by 1/4 inch. Had that fixed and installed 3.00:1 gears. Installed a new Flaming River tilt column. The chassis already had a 74' Mustang II front suspension with a R&P steering, so I kept it instead of installing a dropped I beam front axle. (next build)

Getting ready to fix some body issues and install the Wiring. Moved the fuel tank from the cowl to the trunk, eliminating the Rumble Seat. Going to use Harley Davidson Tombstone Tail lights to add something different. More later as it happens. Here is the link to pics before I started. Purchased this way.
http://californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7910&highlight=winter+project&page=3

Attachments

• 100_3508.jpg
    100_3508.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 100_3505.jpg
    100_3505.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 100_3504.jpg
    100_3504.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 100_3503.jpg
    100_3503.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
OP
OP
R

robert campbell

All,
GNS is getting Maier Racing sub-frame connectors, Shelby under ride traction bars (if they fit, or Caltracks), front and rear Competition Engineering 90/10 shocks, and a new 1/2 inch gas line from front to back. Fun fun fun!! New 10 inch wide Drag Radials later in the spring. The search for traction continues for the Weiand supercharged, water methanol injected, 302!! Hopefully good enough to put it on the track later this year!

Rob

DSCN1008.jpg

DSCN1007.jpg

Mosesatm

Uh, Rob, it's just carb, tuning, and timing on my nephew's car, right?:scared:

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Arlie,
Why, yes it is!! But if your wallet is deep and your need is speed!!!!!! I can make your face smile and your credit card at max limit in no time!

Rob

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Dropped all the exhaust form under the car. Fitting and paint removal for subframe connectors tomorrow.

found a way to spend a good part of a Saturday...... A small pan of solvent..... a couple rolls of blue paper shop towels....... A four post lift........ and you can wipe off over 40 years of grease and grime under your car. Amazing how good the old underside paint will last. Some areas look like right off the assembly line! Absolutely no rust!

Sanding tomorrow.... yukkk!!!

Rob

dalorzo_f

Not for the GT/CS but the current project...

So the shop got backed up and we covered the EXP500 shell for the last few months. But it should be primered and have Red Oxide on it by the end of Feb. Then the fun begins, body/fiberglsss fit.

So as all the rest is kinda on hold started tinkering with the veneer dash and console.

Upper console looked easiest, so did that first (a while back). Turned out OK.

CIMG0763Medium.jpg

CIMG0765Medium.jpg

Next, the dash.

Laid out the veneer:

CIMG0001Medium_zps51d4b8e7.jpg

Cut a bunch of paper templates to fit the shape. Used the pin guide on the right in the photo below to get the complex curves.

Laid the paper template on and sprayed a light mist of white spray paint to make an outine. Used sharp scissors and a razor blade to trim out the shape.

CIMG0002Medium_zps1fdc4a14.jpg

On the trim, used some black flocking to hide the inevitable minor gaps at the edge as its near impossible to hand cut it to match the shape perfectly. This will hide any glare creeping up from under the edge once glued in.

CIMG0004Medium_zpsc35dd3ba.jpg

A light sand with some 100 grit, want a slightly rough look exposing some grain texture, not super flat and glossy.

Can't glue it in as I can't spray the finish due to rain. So halfway, but IMO looking OK. About 1 1/2 hours work so far.

CIMG0005Medium_zpsb1bac101.jpg

The tough one will be the instrument bezel with all the ovals.

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Sub-Frame connectors are done!!! Finally going the other way and assembling instead of tearing it apart!!

So we have new:
1. 90/10 Front shocks
2. 70/30 Rear shocks
3. Calvert Racing Caltrac Traction bars
4. 1/2 inch fuel line front to back
5. New 1/2 capicity Fuel Tank sending unit from Robb MC Racing

Going to upsize from 8 inch wide to 10 inch wide drag radials once it gets warm.

Hopefully this will assit my search for traction!

Rob

DSCN1335.jpg

DSCN1334.jpg

DSCN1333-2.jpg

DSCN1332.jpg

DSCN1331.jpg

di81977

Rob,

Great installation. Those frame connectors sit really nice and tight to the frame. Next time I go to visit my son at UPS in Tacoma, you'll have to take me for a ride!

David

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

David,
You have a date!! Ask Steve, I use these cars to their full extent!! I hate trailer queens!! What a waste!!

Rob

Ruppstang

Now Rob hate is such a strong word. I am not a modified guy but I realy enjoy and appreciate you passion for the hobbiy. As you know I have both driven and trailered cars. Like you I enjoy driving them very much. Even the trailer cars are driven enough localy to insure that they opperate properly. I also belive that it is important that a few cars are restored to factory perfection as examples for those many years from now that read about the Mustang phenoma of the 60s and go and see what cars of that era were really lkie. There is plenty of room in this hobby for every one. Go smoke some tires just do not run me over!
Concours guy Marty

somethingspecial

Now Rob hate is such a strong word. I am not a modified guy but I realy enjoy and appreciate you passion for the hobbiy. As you know I have both driven and trailered cars. Like you I enjoy driving them very much. Even the trailer cars are driven enough localy to insure that they opperate properly. I also belive that it is important that a few cars are restored to factory perfection as examples for those many years from now that read about the Mustang phenoma of the 60s and go and see what cars of that era were really lkie. There is plenty of room in this hobby for every one. Go smoke some tires just do not run me over!
Concours guy Marty

+1, I fully agree!!! The other Concours guy.

joedls

Concours guy Marty

+1, I fully agree!!! The other Concours guy.

If Rob is anything like me (and I believe he is in this regard), he doesn't hate trailer queens. He would hate owning one.

I very much admire concourse cars and the work/skill/knowledge it takes to get those cars to that level. I could just never do it. I could never own a car like that or do what it takes to get the car to that level. I don't have the patience for it and it wouldn't be fast enough when I finished. I love these cars as a platform, but I have to modify them to my taste.

Midnight Special

If Rob is anything like me (and I believe he is in this regard), he doesn't hate trailer queens. He would hate owning one.

I very much admire concourse cars and the work/skill/knowledge it takes to get those cars to that level. I could just never do it. I could never own a car like that or do what it takes to get the car to that level. I don't have the patience for it and it wouldn't be fast enough when I finished. I love these cars as a platform, but I have to modify them to my taste.

Age old argument... I'm personally glad we have both influences here. Long live diversity! :)

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Yes, hate was too strong a word!! But I will never own one!! They were meant to drive and to drive hard!! Driving them and modifying them as a young man was so much fun. I grew up in a "pro cheby" town in the early 70’s and was one of the few Fords in town. My friend Rich and myself put Fords on the map. We have deep roots in making these old 60’s Mustangs all they can be and continue today!

Sorry if I offended the concurs guys! But as they printed they were not!! Long live the Mustang hobby!!

By the way. “Tired of the old restrictive stock quad tips that choke down to 1.75 diameter?” “Check out these FlowMaster FLO-15382 exhaust tips”. 2.5 inlet and a great fit to the GT valance!! GNS is now 2.5 all the way out and has a deeper throaty sound than before!!

10 inch wide drag radials are next!!! Steve, I am sorry that the Tiger is now a storage shelf for the rear seats!! I was gentle and they are soft side down!! They will be back in the GNS tommorow!!

Rob

DSCN1388.jpg

DSCN1387.jpg

Ruppstang

I love to drive them but they do not stay looking like this if you do. She will ride the trailer on the long trips.
Marty

Attachments

• 68 HCS Restoration at RA Motor 006_crop.jpg
    68 HCS Restoration at RA Motor 006_crop.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 68 HCS Restoration at RA Motor 007_crop.jpg
    68 HCS Restoration at RA Motor 007_crop.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 2012 Fall Mustang Pictures 006_crop.jpg
    2012 Fall Mustang Pictures 006_crop.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 27