• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Rebuilding Joe's White GT/CS

joedls

Update on progress

I have pulled all the front sheet metal, the engine & tranny, and got it up on a rack to determine that the car will have to be straightened behind the firewall, too. I did some measurements and it is off ~3/8" on one side. I can see where the floorpan buckled slightly on that side. That is also the side that the quarter panel buckled. The next step for me is to find someone to straighen the frame/unibody, then I'll cut off the front clip and go from there.

nates68

HI JOE, SOUNDS LIKE ALOT OF FUN. HEY DID YOU FIND OUT HOW MUCH THAT GOLD GT/CS WENT FOR UP HERE IN CARSON?

nates68

joedls

I think I know where a '67 dash (metal part) is at. I volunteer to pull it, strip it, paint it and ship it.

Steve (What Dad's are for--bailing the kids out of tight fixes :grin: )

If you still have this dash, I should be ready for it in 30 - 60 days. Just let me know what I owe you for it.

Thanks,
Joe

rvrtrash

It was in a wrecking yard. Hopefully they haven't crushed it yet. I'll go out tomorrow and look.

Steve

obwan93001

How's the '68's rebuild coming along?

If you still have this dash, I should be ready for it in 30 - 60 days. Just let me know what I owe you for it.

Thanks,
Joe

Hey there Joe!

Saw your post a few mins ago re the dash and was curious how the rebuild was progressing. I wish you the best of luck and hope to see that baby of yours re-commissioned for service soon. Perhaps when completed you can snap a photo of it surrounded by ER equipment or grave stones entitled "Back from the dead!" for the month of October in next yrs GT/CS 2009 calendar. :wink:

Take care,

Oscar
obwan93001

Mosesatm

Hey there Joe!

Saw your post a few mins ago re the dash and was curious how the rebuild was progressing. I wish you the best of luck and hope to see that baby of yours re-commissioned for service soon. Perhaps when completed you can snap a photo of it surrounded by ER equipment or grave stones entitled "Back from the dead!" for the month of October in next yrs GT/CS 2009 calendar. :wink:

Take care,

Oscar
obwan93001

I can get you lots of those pictures!!!

Last edited:

joedls

Hey there Joe!

Take care,

Oscar
obwan93001

I got it squared away from the firewall back. The doors open and close nicely now and the door gaps are acceptable. I have a front clip I'm getting ready to send to a media blaster to clean up. The guy who's going to perform the r&r on the front clip and dash for me said he can get to it in about 60 days. After that, I'll start piecing it back together.

Diesel Donna

Hey there Joe!

Take care,

Oscar
obwan93001

I'll follow up with the ER car. :grin: :icon_dead

joedls

Update

I had it all set up with this great old-school hotrod builder and master of anything involving metalwork to chop off the front clip on my car and weld in all new pieces. This was gonna happen in October and that didn't work out. So we had it set up for November, as soon as he finished another project he was working on. One week before I was scheduled to take the car over, he was taken to the hospital with a brain tumor. He is undergoing chemo and fighting it as best he can. He's a tough old guy.

So I asked around and found another guy that comes highly recommended by some people I trust. But he couldn't take the car until this week. I got the car over to him last night along with all the pieces to build a new front clip.

So now the fun starts!!!!!

robert campbell

Joe,
When you say front clip, are you going to upgrade to Mustang II stuff, or back to stock, or???

Rob

joedls

Joe,
When you say front clip, are you going to upgrade to Mustang II stuff, or back to stock, or???

Rob

I'm going back stock. After looking at 3 different front clips cut off of other cars, I decided to just buy the pieces and have someone weld them all together. All of the ones I looked at would take alot of work, so I figured I'd just start out with new pieces.

BTW, there is a huge difference between Taiwan made apron pieces and the ones made in Canada. The Canadian ones are much stouter.