• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Rebuilding Joe's White GT/CS

robert campbell

Joe,
I am late to this post. Words cannot express what you are feeling. The lord blessed you on this day with your life. He works in mysterious ways and we are all along for the ride only. And what a ride this was....

My elderly father was backing his 428 Cobra Jet F-150 out of his garage. Stepped on the wrong pedal and nearly took me out and drilled a telephone pole. Totaled the truck, but the lord spared his life. Still with me today at 88years old.

You car needs extensive work as you know. 30 years ago, they would part it out. Not Today!!! My 67 Fasback is a rollover with a completely new top. I also had to cut the top off a 67 coupe that took a telephone pole in the front of the drivers door. Top and frame rail work.

It won't be easy or cheap, but you can do it. You seem like a performance guy like me. An excuse to put a modern Mustang II front suspension! Eliminate the shock towers and more room to work.

I hope for a speedy recovery for you. I have only seen your car in pics, but it is so beautiful! I hope to see it pristine once again.

Rob

GTCS95616

If you end up seeking another GTCS, I may have one for you. I have accumulated the car and some new parts, but have never seemed to find the time to do anything with it. This is the second GTCS that I have owned since about 2000 (the first one I owned was sold due to spousal pressure after about 4 year and the second one was purchased a few months later in retaliation). Life is what it is and I just don't seem to find the time to deal with this. It if you are interested, send me a email and I will send you some pictures.

PFSlim

Joe

I just caught up with these posts since I have been traveling since last week. Wow - Sorry to hear about your car and I am glad you are okay. Your car is way cool and I still look forward to looking at it in Nov.

Sorry I don't have any parts. I have sold or gave away all of our parts to make way for building our last cobra. Wish I had something left to send to the effort.

Paul

Diesel Donna

I have scuff plates and rocker panel moldings, original to my car, just need cleaning up. I forgot what else I have... oh dark green door panels. Deluxe hub caps...Joe will never go for that, haha!

joedls

Attachments

• 6566_mustang_psm2.jpg
    6566_mustang_psm2.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 36

68gt390

Joe;
I've looked at that option for my CS but, everybody I talk to is pretty negative on me doing that since mine is an original big block car. But, as we always say "Do what you like" since it's your car. I'm still thinking about it regardless of it being a big block or not. Would definitely handle a lot nicer. How is the healing going?

Don :undecided

joedls

Joe;
I've looked at that option for my CS but, everybody I talk to is pretty negative on me doing that since mine is an original big block car. But, as we always say "Do what you like" since it's your car. I'm still thinking about it regardless of it being a big block or not. Would definitely handle a lot nicer. How is the healing going?

Don :undecided

As you can tell, I'm not very concerned about originality. :wink:

I'm healing up pretty well. I'll probably have a couple of more scars to go with my collection. I just got my hand into a removable splint so I can start working out the stiffness. It should be as good as new in a few more weeks. My chest is still a little sore, mostly bothers me when I cough, sneeze, yawn, or stretch. It bothers me a little when I'm in bed if I roll the wrong way, but I'm able to sleep through the night without anything for the pain. So all in all, I'm doing OK.

Joe

robert campbell

Joe,
I have been looking at upgrades to increase the "room" in a Mustang engine compartment and improve the suspension. Fatman in my opinion is the best choice! It still uses the shock tower to load the firewall with the weight of the front end just like the Ford engineers designed the unit body to work. I feel this is the best option! The Mustang II conversions do not place the load in the stock design. In my opinion a major weakness.

If I was buying a GT/CS and it had this upgade, so much the better!! I am not an originality person either.

Build it your way!!! When done it will be therapy for you and way better than before!!! Your car deserves to be fixed!!! But only by you!!

Rob

joedls

Well guys, I hate to say this but I don't think I'll be buying my car back The insurance company wants over $6K for it and I just can't see paying that much for the car in the shape it's in. It would be one thing if I knew the engine was still OK, but I don't. The front of that engine got smacked pretty hard, hard enough to smash all the accesories and break the blower snout. With the through-bolt engine mounts I had, the engine took alot more impact than it would have with regular mounts.

Since I just got the 07, I'm in no hurry for another car (don't have room). But I will keep my eye open for a good deal that appeals to me in the future. In the meantime I'll continue to hotraod and drive my 07 GT/CS and 65 convert. I guess I can't complain too much.

rvrtrash

Sorry to see it go. Is there any way they'd let you remove enough of the damage where you could see if the engine would turn over before making a decision? I think the only thing that would affect the base engine is if the crank got pushed back and you'd know that as soon as the starter tried to turn it.

Steve

joedls

I think the only thing that would affect the base engine is if the crank got pushed back

That's exactly what I'm afraid of.

Is there any way they'd let you remove enough of the damage where you could see if the engine would turn over before making a decision?

I doubt the insurance company will let me do that. I immediately received a letter from them telling me I was responsible for keeping in its current state and safe from theft until we settled the claim. I'd have to cut off the hood and all the accesories to see if it would turn over. May not be a bad idea. I'll ask tomorrow.

robert campbell

Center main cap retains the bearing that sets the end play of the crank. All accidents can affect the end play. But at the same time they are normally long mile motors with alot of wear.

Your car certainly took a hit. If you can jack it up you can use a crow bar (sounds a bit crude) to pry the crank forward, and then pry back. Should seem to be little or no movement (.004 of an inch). I have grabbed dampers by my hand and moved them back and forth if the bearing is damaged!

I would bet that your stout small block came out just fine!!

Steve is right, if you can get a 15/16 inch socket on the front of the crank and try to roll it!

You owe it to yourself to bring this car back. It was so cool!! How can you hurt it to try.

Rob

joedls

After alot of thinking, I have made the decision to buy back the car after all. I don't know yet what I'm going to do with it. I need to tear into it and see whether it's feasible for me to rebuild. But I'm sure I could recoup my costs if I had to part it out. I now have a place to store it and work on it.

joedls

I think that's great Joe!! Best of luck and keep us posted!

I think if you had to part it out you'd do alright.

Yeah, the way I look at it is this. With the settlement, I pay for the 07, get to keep the car, and still have a few bucks left over towards the project.

Mustanger

Yeah, the way I look at it is this. With the settlement, I pay for the 07, get to keep the car, and still have a few bucks left over towards the project.

That's good news, Joe!! ... You'll have to update your tag line from "out of commission" to something else though ... maybe "reborn on its 40th" :wink: ...

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

After alot of thinking, I have made the decision to buy back the car after all. I don't know yet what I'm going to do with it. I need to tear into it and see whether it's feasible for me to rebuild. But I'm sure I could recoup my costs if I had to part it out. I now have a place to store it and work on it.

Who says you would have to rebuild it right away? It will be immortalized on the DVD that comes with the book. I have footage of it at the GT/CS BBQ at the Jewell's. It's so famous already.

Maybe some awesome V8 or V12 will show up, and you can use that? Hmmm...maybe I could get a (used) supercharged Aston-Martin or Jag engine for you over at Galpin? "Pimp my Special"???

Joe's living the CS legacy to the MAX!....from '68 to '07--and beyond...

-Paul N.

robert campbell

Joe,
I wished I lived close to you. I would come over and gently remove the stuff from the front of your engine and get to the vibration damper. This may entail some pulling back on the old radiator support. I replaced mine and the battery inner fender panel due to extensive battery tray rot by the previous owners. I would remove all belts including the blower belt. As I said before, you can test the crankshaft endplay very easily. If it almost does not seem to move in and out with a gentle pry and a gentle tap, I bet the engine survived. .004 of an inch.

Next I would pull all the spark plugs and slowly roll it over by hand. If it rolls as normal I bet you are ok.

The wild card is the blower. I would carefully remove it and have it inspected for damage. If the internals are good and during careful observation in the intake plenum, if you do not find any unusual debris, you are pretty much good to go. Take a careful look at the distributor cap and rotor while you slowly roll it by hand.

Next I would roll the motor with the starter motor with the plugs out. If that sounds normal, then put the plugs in, but disable the ignition and roll it. Again, if it sounds normal, ok.

I would then put "just" the carb back on and plumb it to start. I bet it will light off and idle like it always did!!!

Now if your ready to give that motor away, you can adopt me and send it my way!!! Thanks Dad!!

Your 53 year old son Rob!!!!

joedls

Joe,
I wished I lived close to you. I would come over and gently remove the stuff from the front of your engine and get to the vibration damper. This may entail some pulling back on the old radiator support. I replaced mine and the battery inner fender panel due to extensive battery tray rot by the previous owners. I would remove all belts including the blower belt. As I said before, you can test the crankshaft endplay very easily. If it almost does not seem to move in and out with a gentle pry and a gentle tap, I bet the engine survived. .004 of an inch.

Next I would pull all the spark plugs and slowly roll it over by hand. If it rolls as normal I bet you are ok.

The wild card is the blower. I would carefully remove it and have it inspected for damage. If the internals are good and during careful observation in the intake plenum, if you do not find any unusual debris, you are pretty much good to go. Take a careful look at the distributor cap and rotor while you slowly roll it by hand.

Next I would roll the motor with the starter motor with the plugs out. If that sounds normal, then put the plugs in, but disable the ignition and roll it. Again, if it sounds normal, ok.

I would then put "just" the carb back on and plumb it to start. I bet it will light off and idle like it always did!!!

Now if your ready to give that motor away, you can adopt me and send it my way!!! Thanks Dad!!

Your 53 year old son Rob!!!!

Already pulled everything away from the front, pulled the plugs, and rolled the engine. That's why I decided to keep the car. The blower, however is toast. It broke into two pieces. I'll do more inspection of the crank endplay once I pull the engine. I plan on tearing it down and rebuilding it with my 11 year-old son anyway. We'll probably replace the pistons to increase the compression, a little more cam, and maybe efi. Still haven't made up my mind about the efi, but I'm leaning that way.

Sorry, Rob. You're old enough to be my kids' grandfather. No way I'm adopting you and they already have 3 grandfathers. :wink: