• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

. Tips, Tricks, and Words of Wisdom

Ruppstang

Arlie, I would use a hammer with a backing steel. If the paint chips paint the pinch welds seni gloss black, that is how they came from the factory. Marty

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Marty,
That is some thick steel to be pounding on with a hammer. Believe me, I tried. It's also very close to the rocker panel and the floor so the hammer blows must be perfect.

The Crescent wrench worked much better to get it roughly in the correct spot, I then finished it up with a 3# hammer and flat dolly, and painted it flat black.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Mr. Clean Disinfecting Bath Cleaner with Febreeze is the best product I've found for removing grease from cars, and skin, although the label probably warns against using it as a hand cleaner because it does sting a bit when applied to broken skin.:wink:

Last edited:

whodat

Never ever get your windshield replaced by a business who puts a coupon on a vehicle and say's " any windshield replaced $149.99":icon_redf I did and paid the price when they ruined my new moulding and used a piece of the old molding on the car. When I called and complained my response was ignored:mad:

pnsy56shop

and most of all when changing a tire on your wifes Explorer be sure to tighten all the lug nuts so that when she takes it out to drive and returns home to tell you that the lug nuts are loose and you tell her shes crazy. So you take it out to drive to see what the noise is that she said she heard and the wheel comes off crushing the front fender and the wheel rolls down the road 150 yards on to someones lawn then you have to ask some teenage kid to give you a ride back home... all said and done that night she had herself a brand new car. "Always check the lug nuts"

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Apparently overtightening the brake warning light sending unit is not a good idea.

Attachments

• Broken Brake Switch.jpg
    Broken Brake Switch.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 60

Ruppstang

At least it is plastic, it should not be too bad to get out. Man I hate it when I do stuff like that!. Marty

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

When removing a fuel pump gas may squirt from the outlet hose, spraying all over the passenger fender and any objects resting on said fender - like a camera. :frust::mad:

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

I do not want to admit how many times the flywheel or flex plate has been torqued down and then I discover the plate between it and the engine laying around some where.......

Holy cow, I almost did the same thing. In fact, I would have if it wasn't for the comments from others about starter plates in this thread!!

Something just didn't look right, so I checked my tear-down photos. The engine builder forgot to return it.

Another tip - Take photos of EVERYTHING.

By the way, that orange stuff isn't Chevy paint, it's supposedly some sort of super-slick coating that allows oil to run off more easily. It was everywhere, even inside the valve covers. It seems to work because the inside of the valve covers are spotless.

Has anyone heard of such a product?

Attachments

• Engine and Trans.jpg
    Engine and Trans.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 57
  • Engine Coming Out.jpg
    Engine Coming Out.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

Ruppstang

Looking good Arlie. There is just some thing exciting about a freshly overhauled blue engine! Marty

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Now to install it without scratching anything in the engine compartment, or forgetting any other parts!

Oh shoot, I forgot to untape the front freeze plugs.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Ha, so much for not scratching anything.

Another tip; if you are worried that once the engine is installed you won't have enough work to do just drop the engine on the radiator support.
That's also real good for scaring the bejeezes out of the guy under the car guiding the transmission.
Luckily those original Ford radiator supports are amazingly strong!

Attachments

• Radiator Support.jpg
    Radiator Support.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 52

rvrtrash

Sorry to hear that Arlie. I have an old quilt that I drap over the radiator support for just such an occurance.

Steve

Ruppstang

You must have a sticky valve on your hoist too. Some time I am going to make a large diameter knob for mine so I have better control. Glad no one was hurt! You can all ways repaint. Marty

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Definitely a valve problem, but then I tend to tighten it too much which makes releasing it smoothly nearly impossible, and we were at the point where the engine needed to be lowered a little, then moved a little, then lowered a little more, etc.

I like your idea of the large diameter knob and thought about the same thing. Bill recommended using long vice grips on the end of the lever, which would probably work just as well.

It put a major dent in the radiator support. The photo is after I straightened it.

CougarCJ

When I pull an engine, I like to lift the engine a couple of inches, or just clear of the frame stands. Then I raise the rear axle onto tall jack stands. Makes the engine a lot easier to remove and install, even when using an engine tilter.

CougarCJ

By the way, that orange stff isn't Chevy paint, it's supposedly some sort of super-slick coating that allows oil to run off more easily. It was everywhere, even inside the valve covers. It seems to work because the inside of the valve covers are spotless.

I have, works kind of like a teflon coating. Smooths out the rough cast iron and allows the oil to flow faster, in theory.

dalorzo_f

By the way, that orange stuff isn't Chevy paint, it's supposedly some sort of super-slick coating that allows oil to run off more easily. It was everywhere, even inside the valve covers. It seems to work because the inside of the valve covers are spotless.

Not sure what photo you are referring to but sounds like Glyptal 1201...