• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

. Tips, Tricks, and Words of Wisdom

BrandonB

Holy cow, I almost did the same thing. In fact, I would have if it wasn't for the comments from others about starter plates in this thread!!

Something just didn't look right, so I checked my tear-down photos. The engine builder forgot to return it.

Another tip - Take photos of EVERYTHING.

By the way, that orange stuff isn't Chevy paint, it's supposedly some sort of super-slick coating that allows oil to run off more easily. It was everywhere, even inside the valve covers. It seems to work because the inside of the valve covers are spotless.

Has anyone heard of such a product?

Can someone explain to me what that rail that bolts into the block right about the exhaust ports is? Thats new to me.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Smog pump rails.

All manual transmission cars were equipped with a smog pump and either rails (302) or large valves at the front and rear cylinders (289). I'm not sure how the FE engines were equipped.

Here is the 302 rail system

Attachments

• 302wSmog2.jpg
    302wSmog2.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

The 289 system used the same pumps and hoses but instead of using rails with small tubes that attach to each port it uses 2 large tubes that hook into the heads at the left rear and right front.

Much easier to work on but not nearly as cool looking as the rails!

Attachments

• Smog Valve Front.jpg
    Smog Valve Front.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Smog Valve Rear.jpg
    Smog Valve Rear.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 31

BrandonB

Ahhhh good to know! Thanks Moses I appreciate the info. I had never seen that before.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

I wonder if I could convince anyone it's fuel injection?!!!

CougarCJ

390-4V and 428CJ are similar to the 302 Thermactor system in Arlies car (with the 'rails').

nfrntau

Ha, so much for not scratching anything.

Another tip; if you are worried that once the engine is installed you won't have enough work to do just drop the engine on the radiator support.
That's also real good for scaring the bejeezes out of the guy under the car guiding the transmission.
Luckily those original Ford radiator supports are amazingly strong!

Those would have been my bejeezes!
Fortunately the radiator support was there and took the brunt of things. :)

robert campbell

Fetch me my brown pants!!!! Now, with a 4 post lift engine removals are so much easier!!! Gloat, gloat, gloat!!!

Rob

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

When replacing an oil filter make sure the rubber gasket from the old filter doesn't get stuck on the block, because installing a new filter over that old gasket creates an incredible oil leak when the engine is started!

Ruppstang

When replacing an oil filter make sure the rubber gasket from the old filter doesn't get stuck on the block, because installing a new filter over that old gasket creates an incredible oil leak when the engine is started!

Arlie are you just lucky or what? It seem that evey thing that could happen has on this car!

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Marty,
The stuck filter ring was on the other car; the one where the harmonic balancer nearly fell off.

But I do have another tip courtesy of the J-code and my haste.
When ordering parts be sure to carefully read the description and application.
I ordered the super-duper Z-bar and clutch linkage but discovered that it doesn't fit a '68 with a Borgeson steering box. They make one for '65-66 but not for '67-'70. It's in the works, though.

Anyone need a roller Z-bar for a '67-'70 with a standard steering box? Half price!

I think we all have these weird things happen to us but we just chalk them up as part of the restoration experience. I don't mind admitting when I do stupid shtuff and just hope my bozo moments can help others not make the same mistakes.
Like leaving out the starter plate. I'm sure glad people admitted to leaving those out otherwise I wouldn't have thought to check for it on my engine.

rvrtrash

Been there, done that, bought the big bag of kitty litter. If you ever watch me do an oil change, you'll notice I check the end of the old filter every time.

Steve

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

When installing original stripes, or even old reproduction stripes, be sure to make sure the outer covering releases from the vinyl stripe before going to all that work.

3M Adhesive Remover softened most of the residue enough to scrape it off but some of it is actually fused into the vinyl and can't be removed.

Time to buy new stripes!

Attachments

• Rear Stripes.jpg
    Rear Stripes.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Neil,
Thanks so much for the stripes.
This is by far the best bunch of people on the internet!!!

I wondered why you had a partial set of black stripes, but then I remembered!:sad:

gt/csj4

Neil,
Thanks so much for the stripes.
This is by far the best bunch of people on the internet!!!

I wondered why you had a partial set of black stripes, but then I remembered!:sad:

I second this! Between Arlie, Neil, Tim, Bob, and Mike etc.. I have found out things I never knew with cals/hcs, AND got/bought parts i otherwise would be screwed without (Neil and his awesome set of Lucas lenses that otherwise I would had to have bought a new set!) Thanks fellas you rock!!!:grin:

stangfan

Been there...done that! I still have a dark line on my driveway where I pulled the car out of the garage after the oil change. Luckily I had an old bag of kitty litter handy. :rolleyes:

gt/csj4

Been there...done that! I still have a dark line on my driveway where I pulled the car out of the garage after the oil change. Luckily I had an old bag of kitty litter handy. :rolleyes:

AH the kitty litter trick! It's funny utilizing this trick cause unsuspecting people think you're crazy for doing so but it works sooooo well