• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 What paint for the Lucas tube stands?

Jester

The Piedestals/tubular stands the lucas lights are mounted on are not painted on my car. Going to leave them at a painter, but I have no clue what to tell him. I know it should be the same as the grille but could anyone tell me the specific paint code/number/type or whatever I need to tell him to get it right??

/Jesper

OP
OP
J

Jester

Thanks! I see more needs to go for paint. The trim surround the stands are mounted on should actually be the same color!?? I never noticed!! Mine is chrome! Jee, I need to see another GT/CS IRL sometime soon for reference. Have never seen another car than mine ever...pretty unusual here. Also looking at the pictures it looks like the stands are welded(?) directly on to the trim? To me it looks like a thin weld but is that really right? very thin metal...Mine are mounted on a square piece of thick metal. Wrong I guess?

dalorzo_f

There is a rubber/plastic "washer" they sit on. Shown on its own and on the setup here;

http://www.cobranda.com/caspgtlulipe.html

The install is a bit tricky as one of the "L" shaped square washers sits abover the stone tray and below the grille trim, and one site below the stone tray. Keeps the stand from dimpling the soft grille trim.

After a lot of searching I found a mid 70's Ford color here "Dark Titanium Metallic" that a local shop could mix into a rattle can.

Not the best shot, but only one I have handy.

Mosesatm

The 'weld' you're seeing may be the rubber grommet that goes through the hole in the trim piece.

stangfan

I obtained the light hardware from Bob Teets and had a local shop paint the grille and hardware. The GT/CS book specifies Dark Grey Metallic as the colour. My shop did a web search and came up with PPG 34219 Semi gloss Medium Titanium Poly as being the closest match. It turned out great! :grin:

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
J

Jester

First, thanks for the tips on the paint! Second, this for sure cleared up a few questionmarks around the way my Lucas lights have been mounted. See the picture...it seems the "L" washers mentioned above have been used by the PO on the wrong side of the trim. If I'm lucky maybe the round washer is placed under the trim, if not..

/Jesper ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396721003.312343.jpg

dalorzo_f

Yep, that is way wrong... hope the trim is not too damaged... very soft metal....

Interesting your trims are not painted, never seen that before. Are they anodized or did someone chrome them?

stangfan

I believe Jester's grille surround has been polished. I've seen it before. My GT/CS surround centre piece (at the bottom) was polished, but the rest of the surround was black. My shop painted the hardware, grille and surround. Looks great! :cool:

OP
OP
J

Jester

I have a foto of the car when it first was exported to Denmark. Then the surround looks black. I think the PO in Denmark polished it but it's a nice job...very smooth... I will leave it as is for now as summer is almost here. First thing in October, grille, surround and piedestals go to the paintshop.

Anyone knows if the rubber washers can be purchased separately and if so where. The link to Branda is for the whole kit and I just need the black washers.

stangfan

Bob Teets of the High Country Special Registry is the man with the hardware kits. He MAY sell you just the washers if that is all you need. When my shop did mine, they didn't know where the rubber washers were supposed to go, so they did not use them. It seems fine without them.

OP
OP
J

Jester

OK, the front is disassembled. Unfortunately the wide grille moldings were killed by the L-washers, so I've ordered new standard ones and will have them painted with the tube stands, grille and marshal brackets. But before starting I need a few pointers:

1. Just to make sure; its just the flat surface of the grill molding that should be painted, right? The profiled trim part closest to the grille should still be chrome?
2. I got a 67 grille and shall fit marshal brackets to it. I dont want to screw up this one shot I have, so could any kind person provide close up photos of how the brackets are riveted to the grille. Plus a clear photo where I can see the exact location of the brackets on the grille. (a template - blueprint would do as well..) I really dont want to cut the grille where it shouldnt be cut... I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks
/Jesper

Mosesatm

This may help.

Attachments

• GTCS Grille Model (1).jpg
    GTCS Grille Model (1).jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 53

Mosesatm

And here are some photos from Neil.

Attachments

• 203.jpg
    203.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 204.jpg
    204.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 205.jpg
    205.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 47

franklinair

Thanks Arlie. I periodically have trouble posting photos.
The 3rd photo; you can see the rubber grommet at the bottom of the stanchion.

Neil

OP
OP
J

Jester

Thanks guys! exactly what I needed. When it comes to the pop rivets, are the brackets fixed with two rivets on the upper side and two on the bottom of the brackets? can't really see on the photo. And is the grille supposed to be painted before the brackets are fixed or after. What was the factory sequence?

somethingspecial

The Grille and Brackets were painted seperately and then assembled. The Rivots should be unpainted. The two tabs on top of the grille which attach under the hood locks should be painted semi gloss black. The top of the fog light brackets use two each rivots, mounted toward the outer edge of the brackets. This leaves the two holes present in the middle from the original support bracket you remove from the 67' Grille. The bottom of the brackets use only one rivot, which is placed through one of the existing holes from the same bracket you removed. Use the hole farthest from the oval slot of the grille and bracket.