• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 What paint for the Lucas tube stands?

Mosesatm

Here's an original grille.

Attachments

• Grilles.JPG
    Grilles.JPG
    174.7 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCN1999 (1000x694).jpg
    DSCN1999 (1000x694).jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCN2009 (1000x797).jpg
    DSCN2009 (1000x797).jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
J

Jester

The work on the grille is all done, now it's just the paint job to do. Since my Lucas lights where mounted incorrectly and too far towards the right and left sides I refitted them using the 14,84 inches measure from the edge of the grille moulding, but that does not align them exactly in front of the brackets. RH is pretty Ok but LH is off by 3/4 of an inch. It just seems strange... We'll I shall just give an take a little and fit them where it looks symmetrical.

OP
OP
J

Jester

Well, the paintshop called today and said they don't find a recipe for the Dark Gray Metallic Ditzler/PPG #32930. And this is a shop only using PPG. The owners are well into Classic Mustangs but have never seen a GT/CS before. They have called around but just draw a blank. Have anyone of you experienced this and are there any good alternative PPG # mixtures that give a similar result that could be easier to find recipe for? If you know I would be extremely happy if you could share. I am going there friday to evaluate a bunch of different colors with them. Problem is just that I have never seen this colour myself in real life, only from photos on this site and depending on lighting it looks very different. Any pointers or help is appreciated! A lot!/Jesper

stangfan

My shop used the internet to find a match. The notes I made indicate PPG 34219 Semi-gloss "medium titanium poly" is what they used. Mustang Monthly had a GT/CS on the cover that month that was reputed to be a perfect restoration, and my grille, surround and pedestals looked exactly like that one.

Hope this helps.

390cs68rcode

Well, the paintshop called today and said they don't find a recipe for the Dark Gray Metallic Ditzler/PPG #32930. And this is a shop only using PPG. The owners are well into Classic Mustangs but have never seen a GT/CS before. They have called around but just draw a blank. Have anyone of you experienced this and are there any good alternative PPG # mixtures that give a similar result that could be easier to find recipe for? If you know I would be extremely happy if you could share. I am going there friday to evaluate a bunch of different colors with them. Problem is just that I have never seen this colour myself in real life, only from photos on this site and depending on lighting it looks very different. Any pointers or help is appreciated! A lot!/Jesper

I *think* automotivetouchup.com can mix paint for you with a PPG code.

dalorzo_f

I found a color called Dark Titanium Metallic that was a newer Ford color (forget the year) and a local Auto shop that premixes rattle cans could make it up on demand from that.

Maybe try that reference... ???

It looked very close to the OEM examples I saw, but that was photos based comparison and my "eye test"... so may not be absolutely correct.

Not the best pic but all I could find on hand.

OP
OP
J

Jester

We never managed to get the exact mix for the dark grey metallic and medium titanium poly and had to pick a color by trying to match photos. Not the best... Anyways, got the parts back today and it looks great and will look nice on the car but I think it is too light. I am not doing a concourse restoration so it won't matter, but at the same time I'd like to keep it as historical correct as possible. So to still my curiosity and to be able to do it correct next time I wonder if someone with the concourse correct paint would consider helping me out by taking a reference photo.? If you PM me your address I will send you a sample thin metal sheet painted in my color. If you could photo this side by side with the right paint on your car and post it back on this thread I would appreciate it a lot. Anyone?

stangfan

I would be happy to do the comparison photo. I think my paint is correct, but you might be better off getting someone whose car is totally concourse.

stangfan

Here's a shot of the grille and light hardware. Should give you an idea of the colour. Let me know if you want me to do a comparison photo for you. :grin:

Attachments

• P1000109.JPG
    P1000109.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 30

Mosesatm

We never managed to get the exact mix for the dark grey metallic and medium titanium poly and had to pick a color by trying to match photos. Not the best... Anyways, got the parts back today and it looks great and will look nice on the car but I think it is too light. I am not doing a concourse restoration so it won't matter, but at the same time I'd like to keep it as historical correct as possible. So to still my curiosity and to be able to do it correct next time I wonder if someone with the concourse correct paint would consider helping me out by taking a reference photo.? If you PM me your address I will send you a sample thin metal sheet painted in my color. If you could photo this side by side with the right paint on your car and post it back on this thread I would appreciate it a lot. Anyone?

I can send you an original pedestal if you want. It's stuck to the bezel so you'll get all of it.