• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 when did they start?

thoruds

i have herd there was a few california specials rolled out late 1967 any one know for sure?

robert campbell

There are some posts on the site discussing this issue. I own a car (all of the GT/CS option) that has an unknown history that was built on 2 January 1968. There is a sister to this car built on 4 January. Both Seattle 74 DSO cars and both in Gold Nugget paint. Before the debut of the GT/CS on 15 February. There is a theory that the very early cars and the cars on the stage at the debut may have been cars that were pulled off the line prior to the debut, so they could be January or even a late 1967 December car.

There is also a theory that these early cars would not be Marti verified as a GT/CS. This is because they were ordered and assembled before the GT/CS and held or staged for later assembly into a GT/CS.

With that, I am curious as to why you ask. Do you have an early GT/CS?

Rob

OP
OP
thoruds

thoruds

yes i do and when i bought it the guy told me it was not a real california special. but when i got it home i started looking harder at the purchase .first the drivers door had been replaced of corse the wrong color and interior on the tag. then i found out the true color was blue followed by the holes in the grill where the fog lights used to be but the grill had the pony style grill piece (added somtime later i asume since the fog lights would not fit) it was built in san jose' some one then bondo'd over the emblem holes in the quarter panels where the california special 's used to be, after i scaped of the undercoat some one sprayed in the trunk. no side scoops on the car? so all the stars are lineing up but its a 67 according to the numbers on the inner fender. oh one other thin its a 6cylinder code but i found out some did so thats why i ask when did they start ?? the car currently has a 351 wind. and AT

R.T.

franklinair

I'd get a Marti Report. It'll tell you when & how produced. Use the VIN from the inner fender panel.

Neil

Mustanglvr

Whats the vin number on the title? Please post pics of the car.

OP
OP
thoruds

thoruds

i put pictures in the gallery the yellow and black one

franklinair

Judging from the photos it looks like a '67 coupe (interior, rear quarters-no reflectors) with C/S decklid, Shelby tail lights. No side scoops. And you say the VIN indicates 1967. I don't know of any C/S with a '67 VIN. My guess is that it's a 1967 coupe, not a C/S.

Neil