• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Wanted 1968 gt/cs

James476

Hello, I'm a longtime lurker, first time poster. I've been really impressed with the activity level and enthusiasm shown on this board, so I thought I'd ask the experts for some help in finding the right car.

I'm looking for a 68 California Special, in good solid high end driver condition. I'm open to most colors, but would prefer Candy Apple Red, Royal Maroon, Raven Black, or Acapulco Blue. Any of the V8s are fine (of course, a 390 would be great!). Original drivetrain/paint color is a definite plus. Automatic is preferred, but I wouldn't turn down a 4 speed. I don't mind doing a bit of restoration, but it would be great if the hard stuff (paint, engine rebuild, etc.) was done. The more options (especially AC) the better!

I've looked at every website I can think of (autotraderclassics, cars-on-line, autabuy, hemmings, oldride, etc.), and have scoured each and every one of the 400+ cities covered by Craigslist. I'm in Texas, but am more than willing to go wherever the right car is (I went to California for a 1970 Mach 1 two years ago, and had an absolute blast). I've looked at the cars posted in the classifieds here, but haven't turned up anything that qualifies as "the one".

Any and all help is greatly appreciated, and I look forward to actively participating on the website in the future. Thanks!

James

franklinair

Welcome. Lots of good info & help on this site. Hope you have good luck in finding the right car.

Neil Hoppe

classicsguy

You got a good place here to find the California Special that you want.Be patient and the right one will show up. We are here to help you and check the Classifieds section where we place links to cars for sale. Welcome to the site!

OP
OP
J

James476

Quicknick - my budget is dependent on the car. I'd gladly pay a premium (within reason of course!) for the right car in the right condition. I've collected Mustangs for years, and I've learned that it's always best to look for the well cared for and maintained car versus trying to score a deal on an iffy example.

Based on your sig, it looks like you have quite the stable. Are you thinking of letting go of one?

classicsguy

James did you check out forum member DSO51 1968 HCS Royal Maroon 289 Auto car. Its in the classifieds section a while back. Members name is Craig.

aemoo28

Be on alert for updates on our get togethers. Think the next one is in June at the Concord California show.

We are a fun bunch of goofy enthusiasts. You will find the right car. We'll help you with that.

Last edited:

NosAvrenim

You got a good place here to find the California Special that you want.Be patient and the right one will show up. We are here to help you and check the Classifieds section where we place links to cars for sale. Welcome to the site!

+1
It took a while (and a fair amount of lurking myself) but finally found the right pony last year in Texas.
Give it time and you'll find the right one.

Best of luck!

~Nate

HCS@CT

Hey James, I know your looking for a V8 car I have a much more rare and desireable High Country Special for sale. It's an inline six, it may not have the topend but it has enough tourk to take a 289 in a street light race. And at the price I'm asking you could drop the motor of your choice in and still come in under budget. Or cruze all weekend long and still have gas in the tank. I've got pic's in the gallery on this sight, drop me a line at rvscc2010@gmail.com.

OP
OP
J

James476

I'd like to thank everyone who's replied to my initial post. I've seen more quality cars in 24 hours than I've seen in months of searching! I'm amazed at the willingness to help a new guy out, and very grateful for all leads and recommendations. This kind of response just reinforces my desire to find a CS and join the club. Thanks again!

wallace

1968 hcs

James,

Have you considered a HCS as well? Even more rare...... Good luck!

Wally

lsizemore

James - Have you found your car yet? I have a 1968 GT/CS J code. The car is Sea Foam Mist Green the original color. I have the Marti report and this car is in both the GT/CS books by Paul Newitt. All numbers match - I have had this car since I 1988. Let me know if you are interested.