• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1969 Fastback Question

cmacias24

I recently recieved an email from my brother who found a 69 fastback S code for sale back home. He read me the Vin number and I saw it was an S code which is a 390, but he kept mentioning it was a 390 powered by shelby. As far as I know I have never hear of such a thing. He said inside there was a badge and emailed it to me. Here is a pic. Does anyone know anything about these cars???

Thanks,
Cesar Macias

Attachments

• 2CA1TROJD.jpg
    2CA1TROJD.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 42

DeadStang

I'm pretty sure the '69 Shelbys were only 351W and 428CJs, no 390s. The Shelby 390s were the big block '67s and the early BB '68s, before the 428CJ motors came out.

OP
OP
cmacias24

cmacias24

I know for sure it's not a shelby but I was wondering if those 69 fastbacks were anything special?

Midnight Special

Interesting... 'Have seen numerous '69 S-codes and researched heavily over the years. 'Never heard of such an animal. I would be curious of the VIN# and any other photos you may have of the car. Some had hood scoops (Mach I and Boss 429 style) but were not Mach Is. True too, I've read only a few '67 Shelbys were 390s...

Mustanger

I know for sure it's not a shelby but I was wondering if those 69 fastbacks were anything special?

... Maybe the only thing special is that '69 was the last year of the 390, plus if you were to look at the stats, I think there weren't as many of them as the other engines (I know this is true for Mach 1s, 390's are the rarest) ... I think the decal maybe an aftermarket item ...

DeadStang

1969 sportsroofs are very popular right now; and having the big block makes it even more valuable. Interestingly, they actually made more 428CJ sportsroofs (plain jane to Machs) than they did 390-equipped cars because the upgrade price from the 390 to the 428CJ was only a few hundred dollars (I can't recall the specific $$$, tho).

If it's for sale for a decent price, I'd recommend buying it.

OP
OP
cmacias24

cmacias24

The guy is asking for 700 bucks for the car. Clean title, no engine, no tranny, missing several interior parts, but no rust. I sold my GTCS to my brother and he was offering it back to me inorder to restore this car but I really think this might be too much for hom to handle. What do you guys think?

somethingspecial

$700.00 for a rust free S code? One shouldn't have to think about that. But YOU did come to the right forum to ask the question! I applaud you for researching it first. $700.00 is a great deal for a base project. It will cost several $k to finish it off, BUT, you or your brother should have a great car when done. See if he has some of the parts for it as well. If you don't get your GT/CS back, you will always kick yourself. Trust me, I know. LOL. Mike
Good Luck

rvrtrash

So where is this car located, if you don't mind saying? I have one of my cars up for sale and for $700.00 could find a home for this one if you don't get it.

Steve

OP
OP
cmacias24

cmacias24

Sorry for such a delay on the replys, but mid-terms kinda creeped up on me. My brother called me over the weekend and he somehow talked the guy into selling two of them. He got the 69 s code for the 700 bucks and also another 69 sport roof for 1600 total. According to him the othe car was much more complete than the s code. I asked him to get me some pics so i can share with you guys. I also was able to take out an additional loan to get my GT/CS and he's going to drop it off in Memphis for me to piick up. Just in time ot enjoy the sping then summer!

Thanks for all the info,
Cesar

Mustanger

Sorry for such a delay on the replys, but mid-terms kinda creeped up on me. My brother called me over the weekend and he somehow talked the guy into selling two of them. He got the 69 s code for the 700 bucks and also another 69 sport roof for 1600 total. According to him the othe car was much more complete than the s code. I asked him to get me some pics so i can share with you guys. I also was able to take out an additional loan to get my GT/CS and he's going to drop it off in Memphis for me to piick up. Just in time ot enjoy the sping then summer!

Thanks for all the info,
Cesar

That's cool, Cesar ... hopefully you'll get your CS back soon and enjoy it again ... also, that's a good deal your brother was able to snatch up ... we'll be eager to see the pic's when he sends them to you ...

OP
OP
cmacias24

cmacias24

Update and pictures

My brother ordered the marti report but it does not say anything about the hood. Did this car have a shaker hood, a scoop, or nothing? Also, what's exactly does the Gt Equipment Group?

Attachments

• IM000445.jpg
    IM000445.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 25
  • IM000444.jpg
    IM000444.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IM000447.jpg
    IM000447.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IM000446.jpg
    IM000446.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IM000450.jpg
    IM000450.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IM000443.jpg
    IM000443.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IM000442.jpg
    IM000442.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 32
  • ford69.JPG
    ford69.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 33

Mustanger

My brother ordered the marti report but it does not say anything about the hood. Did this car have a shaker hood, a scoop, or nothing? Also, what's exactly does the Gt Equipment Group?

For 1969, off the top of my head, I think the GT Equip Group included HD suspension (springs, thicker front sway bar, better shocks(?)), decals and GT badges, maybe a GT pop-open gas cap, and maybe a hood scoop (I think the reg. and shaker scoops were opt.) plus maybe as a minimum - a 351W ...

Per Mustang and Fords, "Only 5,396 Mustang GTs sold in that year (1969) ..."

Last edited:
OP
OP
cmacias24

cmacias24

Thanks for the information. I ran a search and foudn several pictures of gt's and some had painted hoods and back light panels. Also, I noticed several had deluxe doors and dashes. Whatg marti report has information on what door panels and dash it had exactly?