• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

A little new..

Poseidon

I am alittle new to these..the cars and building thereof. I am helping my dad rebuild his motorcylce he crashed but thats not the same as a car. Ever since I saw gone in 60 seconds I have wanted eleanor from it. The problem is 1. I have almost no money and 2. I want to build it but dont know how. Does anyone have any Ideas? I have gotten Ideas to buy a beat up fastback and then buy a kit and put it on but does anyone else have any ideas?

franklinair

Everybody starts somewhere. You'll find a lot of knowledge & support on this site. Although we're the GT/CS website, we're first & foremost Mustang enthusiasts. Let us know where you're located, and perhaps one of our other members is nearby, for additional info & help.

Neil Hoppe

PS: WELCOME!!

Mosesatm

Fastbacks are still quite expensive so have you considered a coupe?

This is a great looking Shelby coupe. How about making something like it?

Attachments

• shelby_exp500_7551912424363a53dfba_13.jpg
    shelby_exp500_7551912424363a53dfba_13.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 22
  • shelby_exp500_7551912424363a53dfba_35.jpg
    shelby_exp500_7551912424363a53dfba_35.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 2006 Sept Hemmings Muscle Cover Small.jpg
    2006 Sept Hemmings Muscle Cover Small.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 21

rvrtrash

Welcome to the site. We'll help as much as we can. I would second Arlie's idea of the coupe. Fastbacks are expensive, although if that's what you want, go for it. However, I've seen rust free coupe's that run go for $2500. I would suggest learning your skills on a car that you can get cheap and drive while you work on it. When you have extra money, go through the brakes, maybe do a disc conversion if it's a drum brake car. A little later drop in a mild performance motor, etc. Be patient, and when you stumble on a killer deal on a fastback, you can always pull the nice new stuff off the coupe and put it on the fastback, and move on a little at a time from there. As you get ready to tackle a project, we'll offer advice and moral support. The important thing is to have a good base to start from. By the way, way back when, I fell in love with an Eleanor myself-the original one. There I was, at a drive in movie in a '72 R code Mach 1, watching that unbelievable car chase. I wasted a good set of tires after the movie that night and haven't grown up yet.

Steve

PS. Does your local comm. college offer an auto shop class. They'll teach you everything you need to know and may even let you bring in your ride for your class project. Something to think about.

Last edited:

Midnight Special

Welcome "Poseiden"!
Hey, we all started with little to no $$ and big ideas. If there be any truth to the saying "be careful what you wish for..." this group will have you overwhelmed and on your way before you know it!

My high school (Jr.) son TJ was "you" about two years ago. His love of the Stang caused him to do yardwork, detail cars and odd jobs for cash... then read "how to" books and tap the caring experience we have here... all to be cheerfully applied to his '68 coupe (we picked up as a trainer) to one day be applied again to a "high end" car down the road.

In a relatively short time, he's mastered things I only wish I did at his age and DARN if he isn't quicker than my other small block cars! (I'm too scared to find out!!)

I guess my only advice so far would be; Take it slow, enjoy the journey and everything will fall in line for you :)

Attachments

• tj.jpg
    tj.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IM002648.jpg
    IM002648.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IM001427.jpg
    IM001427.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IM002171.jpg
    IM002171.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IM001553.jpg
    IM001553.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IM001534.jpg
    IM001534.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
P

Poseidon

Thank you all for your kindness, rob was right you guys are much nicer then the guys at the other place I was at. Ya I think I will start working on a coupe, that is a good idea, I dont have any cash on me right now but I am getting a job and if by any chance you guys run across a good deal, go ahead and post it here, also for a reference I live in minnesota.

Ruppstang

Welcome Poseidon!
I agree with everything said above. I see that you live in Minnesota. Cars in that part of the country tend to be very rusty. What you may think is a smoken deal may be your worst nightmere a rust bucket money pit. Find a local mustang club and ask someone to look at the car with you it will save you a lot of $$$. Marty

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 68 parts car 001.JPG
    68 parts car 001.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 68 parts car 003.JPG
    68 parts car 003.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 68 parts car 004.JPG
    68 parts car 004.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 25
  • 68 parts car 008.JPG
    68 parts car 008.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 25

robert campbell

Chris,
Welcome and feel free to post on the main forum! I totally spaced about Tim's son T.J.!! If you could visit Tim's house in Grass Valley, California you would see one huge collection of GT/CS Mustangs with a few Fastbacks to boot!! T.J. is a great kid! He has your passion and he is so lucky to have a Dad to help him along. The white 68 coupe is his and was a great snag by him and his Dad. The perfect rolling restoration and platform for any GT/CS, Eleanor, or Shelby add on you may want to do. Arlie (mosesatm) posted a great 68 coupe with 1968 Shelby nose.

Here are some questions:

Do you have a garage or shop area to work on your Mustang?
I suppose you have limited tools?
Does your high school have an auto shop and area to work and store?

This is a comment for the group, but with some digging we should be able to find decent “coupe” platform for under $3k.?? Maybe even cheaper than that. One of the best places to look is “craig look”. Craig look is craigs list but the ability to search the complete country. We have people all over the country that can dig and even may be able to inspect the car personally. As Marty posted you can get a “rust pit” that can exhaust you funds quickly.

The final thing is, as you are a minor, we need your fathers blessing so to speak to help you. We are all genuine people that will help you. When money is changing hands your father must be there and be supportive of your dream.

Rob

OP
OP
P

Poseidon

Ha, I already told my father about you guys and he was very happy that I was able to find people willing to help, he works most of the time so he is not home alot anyways. Well time to answer your questions rob 1. I will have room in my garage once my dads cycle is done. 2. I have some but not many and I cant weld either but my uncle works on cars and he has alot of tools, now wether he lets me use them thats different. 3. My school does have a shop but I cannot use it so that is out of the question.
Again thank you to everyone willing to help!

robert campbell

Chris,
What kind of motorcycle are you working on?

I found a few interesting looking 68 coupes on craiglook. Not very near to you though.

Anyone ship a car recently? Wonder about the cost.

Rob

Mosesatm

Chris,
What kind of motorcycle are you working on?

I found a few interesting looking 68 coupes on craiglook. Not very near to you though.

Anyone ship a car recently? Wonder about the cost.

Rob

About 50 cents per mile for open, a dollar for enclosed.