• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Aftermarket a/c- keep or toss?

Keep the aftermarket a/c?

• Keep the a/c

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • remove the a/c

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters

aemoo28

Question-

Do I keep the aftermarket, dealer add-on a/c? It's not included on Marti report. I have no real need for it in Seattle, not really, but for the worth of the car- no plans to sell- should I keep it or not?

I could sell it and fund the car's revival, or keep it?

It says "York" on it, & it fits up on the passender side of the engine. I've heard this is not the correct location for the a/c unit.

I see a lot of you have the dealer add-on a/c. What do you think?

I'll be adding the heater core thing at the same time, and the current (new, aluminum) radiator is 20" so... I'll need to replace it, right?

Last edited:

hicountrybob

question-

do i keep the aftermarket, dealer add-on a/c? It's not included on marti report. I have no real need for it in seattle, not really, but for the worth of the car- no plans to sell- should i keep it or not?

It says "york" on it, & it fits up on the passender side of the engine. I've heard this is not the correct location for the a/c unit.

toss it, imo. Hc bob here!!!!!!!!!

CougarCJ

Question-

Do I keep the aftermarket, dealer add-on a/c? It's not included on Marti report. I have no real need for it in Seattle, not really, but for the worth of the car- no plans to sell- should I keep it or not?

It says "York" on it, & it fits up on the passender side of the engine. I've heard this is not the correct location for the a/c unit.

I'll be adding the heater core thing at the same time, and the current (new, aluminum) radiator is 20" so... I'll need to replace it, right?

Factory air conditioning is called Integral A/C.
The aftermarket variety available from the dealers was called Non-integral A/C. A dealer conversion would have included the various pulleys, and a clutch fan among other things.

Get rid of it, sell if you can. Some of these were dealer installed some are aftermarket.

Heater core thing? Is that the plenum box or case? The underdash portion that holds the heater core?

Don't forget to plug the firewall holes where the A/C lines go.

Can't comment on the radiator, 20" radiators are stock on non-A/C cars.
I think in your overheating thread that you have the stock 4 blade fan? I would suggest going to a stock Ford 5 blade flex fan and a fan shroud. You have a fan shroud?

The modern air conditioning conversions are much more efficient and cost effective in the long run in my opinion. Not to mention that the R12 freon is so expensive.

Midnight Special

...I would agree w/ Bob & toss it if it were mine. I just did the heater core in another factory a/c car. 'Real bugger getting to those rear clips to drop the lower housing located in the upper floorpan area. The Ford shop manual was a useful and truthful resource.

I'm not sure if the dealer added unit is much different in that area or not, however...

Last edited:

franklinair

The aftermarket A/C you describe is not worth the trouble/expense to resurrect it. Lose it.
Since it is a non factory A/C car, the heater core is not too difficult to replace, and not very expensive. As Tim pointed out, if it was a factory A/C car - the plenum box on those is a bear of a job (ask me how I know!).
Keep it simple and just replace the heater core, and remove the aftermarket A/C system. (Save it for a local car show flea market: the used components could bring you a few hundred $$)

Neil

Mosesatm

The aftermarket A/C you describe is not worth the trouble/expense to resurrect it. Lose it.
Since it is a non factory A/C car, the heater core is not too difficult to replace, and not very expensive. As Tim pointed out, if it was a factory A/C car - the plenum box on those is a bear of a job (ask me how I know!).
Keep it simple and just replace the heater core, and remove the aftermarket A/C system. (Save it for a local car show flea market: the used components could bring you a few hundred $$)

Neil

Amy, when you replace the core you may want to spend $15 and install a seal kit. The seal kit is basically a bunch of foam pieces that plug most of the gaps in the case. You need to open the case to get the core out anyway so it really isn't any extra work to install the new foam.

rvrtrash

Amy, I'd get rid of it also. I never really cared for the extra stuff hanging under the dash. If you needed air, the new stuff is much better. When you pull the hoses out, let me know what size the holes are. I have an assortment of body plugs and could send you a couple to patch the holes with a factory look.

Steve