• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Autolite 2100 2V carb accelerator pump disintegrating after 3 months?

admin

Staff member
Administrator
I had rebuilt my 289-2V carb just about 3 months ago when I fired up my freshly rebuilt engine. All new parts including accelerator pump.

It's been at the paint shop for most of that time, so has only been started to get it on and off the trailer. And that was a struggle because the engine wanted to die as soon as I put it in gear (C4 automatic)

I finally went to tune the engine today and could not get it to idle smoothly. I'm only getting about 14 in of vacuum and the needle is not steady. And when I turn the mixture screws I get no vacuum or idle change at all. Then I noticed no fuel was visibly squirting into the carb when pushing the accelerator. Kind of strange since it actually ran OK once I gave it gas, just terrible at idle.

So I pop the carb off and start disassembly. When I get to the accelerator pump the rubber around it is very wrinkled, like it's disintegrating after being exposed to a chemical much harsher than gas. And the "inlet check valve" (red rubber plug) basically fell into pieces when I rubbed it with my finger.

Anyone seen this before? Did I just get a really crappy rebuild kit? (brand name "Walker" from my local parts store)

Tagging @robert campbell in case he hasn't been on recently. ;)

2024-05-25 20.41.11.jpg
2024-05-25 20.41.37.jpg
2024-05-25 20.43.29.jpg

OP
OP
admin

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Thanks. Yes, it's possible it's from carb cleaner. I did not soak the carb, but I did very liberally spray down the fuel bowl. It's possible some carb cleaner got past the rubber check valve and sat there overnight.