• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 back up light gasket

cool68

tell me whats the best back up light gasket...purchased a pair from cj pony parts and they did not fit at all:smile:

Tequila

I am interested in this info as well. Perhaps we could incorporate replies into the reference section.

I also made the mistake of buying a full weatherstrip kit from cj pony parts and over half of them don't even match up.

CougarCJ

I am guessing that you mean the backup light housing to rear valance gasket?
Daniel Carpenter appears to be the only manufacturer, and makes a black one for the Mustang and a grey one for Cougars. Not sure why they were made in different colors, since they use the same back up lights 1967-68 on Mustang and Cougars. Carpenter doesn't use the same mold for the two gaskets as you can see in the picture. The grey gasket is a better quality piece and is easier to install than the black version. Pictured on the right is an original grey one.

stangfan

I have 3 of them, still in their packages from probably 15 years ago. I used one on a 67 Coupe and it seemed to fit fine as I remember. These are gray and have a sticker on the package that reads 'made in India'. I don't know what company made them.

dalorzo_f

Have found most I have used (don't recall vendor but think they were the Made in India marked ones noted, they were grey) to be missing the cut-out in the lip around the stud, making them a bit fiddly to fit.

Found a small trim with a razor blade helped them fit better to the lip of the light housing and ease installation... not sure if that would help with the Carpenter's or other types that may be out there.

Ruppstang

Yes Gray is correct. The original ones were some what "fuzzy" in texture

+1
I have bought NOS ones that are black. I believe that the 69-70 back up lights used the same light body and a black gasket. So 67-68s were serviced with the latter black gasket. Ford only cared that it sealed not that it was correct.
A word of caution many of the NOS service parts work well but are not assembly line correct. Be carful about paying a lot for a NOS part that may be incorrect.
Marty

whodat

I bought a pair from CJ and they were a pain to install, but I eventually perservered.

Ruppstang

If it all was easy everyone would have a show car. A old saying I like is "It only takes a little effort to be above average"