• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Brake light switch

retroman99

I'm adding factory power disc brakes to my car which originally came with 4 wheel drum. I replaced the old brake pedal with the correct Power disc brake one. The shop manual shows the switch straddling the post on the brake pedal. The post is on the left side of the pedal leg. I'm good to this point however the manual seems to show the open end of the switch on the bottom when positioned on the pedal. the only way I can put the new one I have is with the opening on the top not facing down like the shop manual. the attached pictures show (A) the new one and (B) the one that was on the car with drum brakes. Do I have the correct switch? what am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• brake light switch.jpg
    brake light switch.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 38

robert campbell

Open end goes in first to make assembly easier. Meaning it goes on the leg first. You are ok.

Rob

OP
OP
R

retroman99

understand open leg goes on first seems the only way it could be assembled but is the opening on the top? doesn't match the shop manual. I have it in position just need to put the special cotter pin in if I'm good just didn't want to put that pin in unless it's right . my giant hands and 280 lb frame doesn't fit under the dash real well.

OP
OP
R

retroman99

well I got it together today. believe it or not it looks like your pictures thank you very much. The picture in the shop manual must be incorrect. wow it is tight quarters up there I had to enlist my daughter to get her hands up in there. The biggest challenge in the limited space was the special retaining clip. thanks to all for the help as I did want to make sure I had this right as brake lights are kinda important

Ruppstang

Congrats it is cool that you share your work on the car wit your daughter. I am sure that she will treasure those times with you. :)